• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • Member No: 62247
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 01:41 PM

Hi, new 318 owner (ripped off on Craigslist and doin my best to have some fun with it)  It's got the Onan P218 Motor I believe.  This tractor is killing me, I just want it to work like my 170!  

Anyway todays question.  Motor mount or maybe oil pan mounts more correctly.  I found one loose in the front and tighten it up, went to check the other front and the mount is cracked off and gone.  Ok I'm down one, maybe I can get by with three.  I looked around assuming there are probably 2 more in the back of the motor.  

From the under side of the tractor I can see two threaded holes, with no hardware in them.  Are those the motor mounts? Can anyone give me the bolt spec?

So the front use a nut and bolt, are the rear threads directly into the oil pan?  Correct?

I pulled this picture off a google image search because I'm pretty sure it represents what I'm looking at.  

Insight please!?!?!

Attached Thumbnails

• 215722.jpg

• superspeedex said thank you

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 03:20 PM

There will be 4 bolts with nuts on it at each corner of the motor. If there is one mount already broken I would replace the oil pan as it may have cracked the pan and if not when the other breaks it may lose oil before you see it and there goes the motor.

• Alc and superaben have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I agree with Bob.  Onan aluminum castings are weak, and if one motor mount is toast the hammering on the other three will cause a problem later on.  Even if you are safe from leaks now, when the next one gives you might not be so lucky.

I am understanding that some oil pans are still available from Onan,  If you can find an Onan dealer willing to work with you, make sure you give him the complete type and serial number (Onans change parts for no reason like women change clothes) and you might be surprised.

Ben W.

#4 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 07:49 PM

If you need a oil pan I have several here just send a pm.

#5 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 08:15 PM

Bob, expect a call from me 413-772-9860.  I'll order up an oil pan if you have the right one.  The Engine serial Number is

P218g-I/10462b.  I don't have technical service manual yet.  What else do you need?

#6 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:22 AM

How long should I expect it to take me to replace the oil pan?  

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 06:28 AM

For the mounts have a look at the parts piagrams on JDParts.com. Do a model no. search for 318 and pick the garden tractor from the list. The diagrams will show you what should be there for mounts and give you parts nos. Before you go any further check your driveshaft and engine coupler for wear. A loose engine can do bad things to the driveshaft.

#8 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 09:25 PM

I have the 318 technical manual that I could send you but I won't be able to do it until Monday at the earliest.
Harlan

#9 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 09:27 PM

sorry I should have said I have it as a PDF also have the operator's manual as a PDF. let me know if you want it also.
harlan

#10 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 06:10 AM

I have the 318 technical manual that I could send you but I won't be able to do it until Monday at the earliest.
Harlan

That would be great if you could share both.  my email is matthewcwhite@icloud.com.  Greatly appreciated!

#11 VillageGreenDeere OFFLINE  

VillageGreenDeere
  • 17 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 06:15 AM

For the mounts have a look at the parts piagrams on JDParts.com. Do a model no. search for 318 and pick the garden tractor from the list. The diagrams will show you what should be there for mounts and give you parts nos. Before you go any further check your driveshaft and engine coupler for wear. A loose engine can do bad things to the driveshaft.

What exactly should i look for wear in the drive shaft and coupler?

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 07:00 AM

What exactly should i look for wear in the drive shaft and coupler?

Just grab the driveshaft and try to wiggle it up and down and rotate it. The keyways will wear as well as the adapter shaft/ socket on the engine end. The hydro end is usually solid. It uses a pin through the input shaft. Have a look at the input shaft area of the hydro to check for a leaking seal. Most problems seem to be on the engine end of the shaft though. 

#13 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 255 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 02:53 PM

That would be great if you could share both.  my email is matthewcwhite@icloud.com.  Greatly appreciated!

Matthew:

I have trouble sending large files from my Email accounts. I have the best luck sending them to people as attachments to GTTalk Personal Messages, so that's what I'll do.

Harlan