• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mysal12 OFFLINE  

mysal12
  • Member No: 62519
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 09:10 PM

Got the diagnosis back today. Need a new motor. anyone know where to get one or a replacement which will work whic is readily available? Prefer finding a used one which is running to keep cost down.

Base gasket went due to gas in sump due to carb issue due to 10% alcohol in gas.

i'm pretty handy. is replacing the base gasket a total rebuild or just remove from tractor, unbolt, clean off old gasket and replace. I can set up the new carb i will need but never tore one of these apart to the base.

#2 Markski OFFLINE  

Markski
  • Member No: 62299
  • 21 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Well, replacing a base gasket doesn't necessarily mean a total rebuild. First of all, is this a vertical shaft engine? If you're capable of doing the work yourself it's not going to cost you much. You have to remove the engine, drain the oil and flip it upside down and take off the crankcase cover (base).  Clean up all the old gasket material and put a new gasket in it and torque it back down. You can't just silicone seal it, you need the gasket to maintain proper crankshaft end clearance. Then reinstall the engine, fill it with oil and Presto!   Back in business.

It's so labor intensive though that the shop may have just said you would be  better off with a new engine than spending whatever they are charging for several hours or more for doing the job. New Tecumseh engines are pretty much non existent so you either fix the one you have or plan on unexpected problems with putting in a different brand. (things never go as easy on a swap as one would think)

Dam ethanol. It's fine to use in your car or pick-up truck but should NEVER be used in anything with a carburetor in my opinion. And even straight unleaded should never be stored in any fuel tank for more than 30 or 60 days.

Good luck!

#3 Markski OFFLINE  

Markski
  • Member No: 62299
  • 21 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 10:00 PM

I would also recommend replacing the crankshaft seal and cleaning up the crankshaft stub and seal area with some emory cloth before reinstalling the cover. A lot of people hate Tecumseh engines but there's really no reason a Tecumseh won't last nearly forever if has regular care (such as changing the oil and air and fuel filters once in a while) .

• dodge trucker said thank you

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 04:45 AM

Welcome to GTtalk!

Like said above, the gasket isn't real hard to change. I would also take a look at the rest of it. If there was gas in the oil for some time, there could have been some lube issues as well.

#5 mysal12 OFFLINE  

mysal12
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 06:00 PM

thank you all,
it is a vertical shaft. I was hoping that was what it was-more time than money.
dealer wants 325 to repair it. Probably fair if they have to do a lot of labor.

I appreciate all the responses so quickly. I have only been on this site for a week, posted originally about a model 1056 wheelhorse. That post was answered equally as fast.
You guys are great.

I will search the net for info on the crankshaft seal and stub and do what i can to remediate those areas.

not sure what you meand by lube issues.

will need a new carb though. i have been safe a lot of years just running them out of gas when i was done using them but this tractor did not have a fuel valve. i kept threatening to put one on and will before starting the repair.

Thank you again.

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,565 Thanks
  • 3,945 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 06:38 PM

By the lube issues, I was thinking that if the oil was thinned out by gas and run for some time. There could be some wear in say, the bearings. Just thought that while you have it split open part ways, it might be good to look at those.

#7 mysal12 OFFLINE  

mysal12
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 08:20 PM

wasn't run long. it was running well. i was making a tigh slow turn on a steep hill and it started running bad so I shut it down. thought i might have tripped the low oil unit or an internal deadman. started it back up on a level surface and noticed it blowing oil out the base gasket. loaded it up and took it to the dealer. i'm not 100% sure of the ethanol diagnosis. that's just what the dealer told me but he never took it apart. he made the same diagnosis on the generator i took in and that never had gas left in the carb while stored. I will know better when I do.

good advice though. i will look for wear and sloppy shaft/bearing play.
  • shorty said thank you

#8 mysal12 OFFLINE  

mysal12
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted April 25, 2015 - 08:27 AM

ok- Due to some health issues I finally got around to taking this apart yesterday. Came apart easily as you all suggested it would. Even the drive pulley was no problem. Gotta' love this old stuff. Question, If the governor were bad can you tell by looking. Doesn't look like anyting is missing; sprocket teeth, etc. It "looks" fine but i never looked at one of these before. Any advice. And thank you again for the previous help.