• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 thom OFFLINE  

thom
  • Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 02:52 PM

I'm buying a Bolens Husky 800. It has a blade on it and a snow blower is included in the deal. How do you decide whether to push or blow snow?  My driveway is paved, blacktop, not concrete. Does it depend on how much snow? Or which one you think is the most fun? I will post pics of the Bolens and attachments in a day or two. Thanks.

• Bill56, Texas Deere and Horse and FrozenInTime have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 04:13 PM

The blower doesn't work in heavy wet snow. It will get clogged up. The blade is more versatle but when the snow gets deep it may not be able to push. In cold dry snow the blower will work nice. You must have it working right, coat the inside surfaces with a nonstick coating, and not feed into it too fast. The blower will probably make you look like a snowman after a little while. Add wheel weights and chains. Learn about your limited slip differential on that. I'm adding cabs to two tractors this year because I spend too many days plowing. It can be fun seat time. Good Luck, Rick

• Bill56, KC9KAS, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#3 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 04:47 PM

Blower for the deep stuff. Blade for clean up after blowing. Both are fun to use, but you will get tired of changing attachments after a while, so you may as well find another tractor the same so you can use which ever one you want with out all the work of changing attachments. Two is better than one tractor, then three, then four, you get the idea.....     Noel

• Bill56, KennyP, boyscout862 and 5 others have said thanks

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 06:00 PM

The blower doesn't work in heavy wet snow. It will get clogged up. The blade is more versatle but when the snow gets deep it may not be able to push. In cold dry snow the blower will work nice. You must have it working right, coat the inside surfaces with a nonstick coating, and not feed into it too fast. The blower will probably make you look like a snowman after a little while. Add wheel weights and chains. Learn about your limited slip differential on that. I'm adding cabs to two tractors this year because I spend too many days plowing. It can be fun seat time. Good Luck, Rick

This pretty much sums it up!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#5 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 558 Thanks
  • 542 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 06:54 PM

A 2 stage blower will better handle wet snow than a single stage.  That being said, a single can work in wet snow, you just have to find the correct amount of snow to take off on each pass to keep the auger full and pushing it out the chute, to much and it packs the auger, to little and the chute will usualy plug up.  Of coarse having enough horsepower behind it helps.  Certain brands are better than others for how well thier throwers work.  Growing up my friend ran a thrower on a Bolens 1250 and it did well. The Simplicity throwers work well to.  Having a smooth surface inside the auger housing and the chute is very important.  If there is rust or flaking paint, the snow sticks even worse.   Good Luck.   Mike

• boyscout862, superaben and PGHsteelworker have said thanks

#6 Moosetales OFFLINE  

Moosetales

Always learning something!

• Member No: 8172
  • 1,088 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 07:06 PM

I'm a huge fan of the snow blowimg. I can put it where I want it and get it away from my drive. I personally like the clean lines I get when I blow the snow vs. plowing.
  • GTTinkerer and propane1 have said thanks

#7 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 07:39 PM

love this video

• shallowwatersailor, boyscout862, PGHsteelworker and 3 others have said thanks

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 08:21 PM

Blower, thrower or blade does not work well in heavy wet snow. They won't blow, throw it and it's to heavy to push for a blade. Even the big stuff has trouble moving it in my area. I saw a versatile tractor with a blower on it last year, and it was plugged up solid. I guess it depends on your needs and wants as to how to move the wet snow. Noel

#9 PGHsteelworker OFFLINE  

PGHsteelworker
  • Member No: 50166
  • 89 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 08:34 PM

That is one badass blower there. I hope I don't get that much snow no matter how fun it would be cleaning it all off. I use a blade because of a gravel / dirt drive way. You have to remember to push the early snows back as far as possible because it might turn to piles of ice and be impossible to move later on. You gotta have room to put subsequent snow falls somewhere.  My dedicated snow repositioning device.IMG_20140924_114806567_HDRcopy.jpg

• Alc, boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Blowing snow with a single stage is not a task. It is not a chore, nor is it fun. It is an art form. If you have a properly adjusted and maintained blower, and enough hp behind it, there is no snowfall it can't handle. I can move standing water with mine. It's all about feeding the proper amount to the paddle, at the right pace.

Remember to play the wind, also.

test run 005.jpg

• Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#11 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 04:58 AM

Blowing snow with a single stage is not a task. It is not a chore, nor is it fun. It is an art form. If you have a properly adjusted and maintained blower, and enough hp behind it, there is no snowfall it can't handle. I can move standing water with mine. It's all about feeding the proper amount to the paddle, at the right pace.

Remember to play the wind, also.

attachicon.giftest run 005.jpg

Amen brother!

Folks can sing the praises of the two stage blower all they want, but when it comes to moving massive amounts of snow the single stage flat out rules.

What most folks don't understand is that a single stage needs a LOT of snow to really work efficiently.

I would opt for a snowblower for the heavy snow and a blade for the lighter stuff.

Edited by OldBuzzard, October 09, 2014 - 04:59 AM.

• GTTinkerer and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 05:35 AM

I can't wait to get a blower for my simplicity I had one for my 520 wheel horse and was not that happy with it. The thing just seemed to not have the giddy up it needed

Tim

#13 richwoodrocket OFFLINE  

richwoodrocket

16 year old JD lover

• Contributor
  • Member No: 57205
  • 147 Thanks
  • 177 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 05:41 AM

Blower is for big snowfalls. Plus, you won't be running out of room at the edge of your driveway if you use a snowblower.
  • propane1 said thank you

#14 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 06:24 AM

Blower is for big snowfalls. Plus, you won't be running out of room at the edge of your driveway if you use a snowblower.

I didn't run out of room last year with the Jacobsen blower but it was stacked about 12' high in many places.

#15 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,341 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 06:47 AM

I use both, actually one is a two-fer
I have a back blade and a front blade on one machine, back blade for getting in close on my odd nooks and crannies, and the blower for the open spaces.

Usually, I bring it all out from around my sheds, into a line and then use the blower to relocate across the road (no neighbors there)

Weights and chains are mandatory to use either effectively, IMHO.
  • propane1 said thank you