• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 REdington OFFLINE  

REdington
  • Member No: 62276
  • 11 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 01:35 AM

This is my first project thread for me here on GT talk. I was surfing CL for some Kohler parts and engines cause I need some parts for the 120 and 140's that I have and came across a 314 that a restore had been started. What really caught my eye was it had a new K321 Kohler short block installed not long ago and the price was $500. I called and found it came with a 48" replacement deck, a 54" 2 way hyd blade and a 43" blade from a 200 series. I got it bought for $450 and feel that is what I'm going to have in any Kohler engine rebuild using Kohler parts.

This is as far as the PO got it. He lost interest in it and it was taking up space. He replaced both axle seals on the transaxle and all worn parts as he was assembling it. It came from a motel and they had a new short block installed at a JD dealer (it has a replacement short block decal on the engine) not long ago. They bought a new mower and used this for a back up. It was stored under some sort of cooling tower and everything was in pretty bad shape. He only gave $200 for it when he bought it, but all the cosmetic parts were trash and he bought used parts to replace them.

gjRBoo.jpg

84fyP7.jpg

tClW2p.jpg

Here is the deck. Needs some TLC

KgFKcA.jpg

I was working on putting the front end back together and discovered the spindles bores were worn very badly. So a few hours later I have bushing ready to be installed. I set the axle up in the mill and rebored the bores with a fresh ground 1.150" endmill. Also found out that JD put 2 1/5 degrees of caster in these while setting it up on the mill. 

New bushings just needs to be pressed the rest the way in with a tool I'll have to make.

Fdl4So.jpg

Rodney

• Alc, UncleWillie, superspeedex and 1 other said thanks

#2 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 04:56 AM

Nice start! you did pretty good with that deal i think because a 54 inch blade is bringing your asking price

• REdington said thank you

#3 REdington OFFLINE  

REdington
  • 11 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 01:01 PM

Nice start! you did pretty good with that deal i think because a 54 inch blade is bringing your asking price

The blade is only the single cylinder one and the blade is in bad shape. The original owners didn't replace the wear strips and one side is worn down into the bolts that hold the wear strips on. I'm going to use the 43" blade on the hydro mount till I get the 54" blade repaired.

The right side spindle I got with it is worn too badly to use and the extra set I have is different so I just bought a set off of e-bay that looked very good in the pics.

Rodney

• superspeedex said thank you

#4 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 04:40 PM

Looks like a solid project and sounds like a fair price in my book.  I had to replace the spindles on my 120 after bearing wear wiped one of them out.   While you are putting all of this work into your machine I would also suggest checking out the rubber motor mounts.  If they are bad they will damage the driveshaft.  

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Rodney, glad you decided to jump in and post something, even though it is green.  :wave: :poke:

Ben W.

#6 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 09:21 AM

Looks like a great option on a resto project.  Can't go wrong on a 300 series JD.

Congrats on the find and good deal.

#7 REdington OFFLINE  

REdington
  • 11 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 12:51 PM

The spindles were here when I got home off the road (truck driver) and they are nice. I pulled the engine so it will be easier to add the H2 stuff. The motor mounts looks like they were replaced not long ago, probably when the short block was replaced. I'll also pull the steering box and rebuild it and add the thrust bearing to it. The wife is claiming it already so anything I can do the help with the steering, I'm doing it.

Now back to the front axle. I have some 1.5" Delrin rod left over from another project. Mounted in the lathe and bored a 1.010 hole in it. Took a .062" wide cutoff tool and made 2 washers that will go on the bottom of the spindle.

GMBTMB.jpg

bsRvIp.jpg

U8fBuX.jpg

TNgR03.jpg

Rodney

• superspeedex said thank you

#8 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 12:54 PM

Some people have used thrust bearings in place of your washers.  I used some automotive pieces on my 120 rebuild.  Here is a thread on another forum with the details.  Some of the changes will NOT apply to the 314 but many will and they made my 120 much easier to steer.:

http://www.*****************/forums/general-repair/15203-120-steering-tweeks.html

Edited by Trav1s, October 13, 2014 - 12:55 PM.

#9 REdington OFFLINE  

REdington
  • 11 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 01:35 PM

Some people have used thrust bearings in place of your washers.

I only have about .100" to work with and still get the snap ring back on. That is why I went this route.  I did read your thread on your 120 steering upgrades.

On my '68 140, I added the thrust bearing to the steering box and spindles and with the narrow front tires, It steers like a dream.

Rodney

• Trav1s said thank you

#10 REdington OFFLINE  

REdington
  • 11 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 10:21 AM

Ran into another snag while doing the H2 conversion. The valve and lines that I have won't fit so I need to get some others from a 317. Also rebuilt the steering column/box and mounted it up and it steers backwards. I would have to guess that somebody replaced it. After doing some research, I've found the the 314's and 317's are the only 300's that share the same box. You cannot tell them apart from just looking at them. The only difference is in the rotation.

Rodney

#11 REdington OFFLINE  

REdington
  • 11 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 06:00 PM

I'm back to work now that I have all the parts.

Bought a parts 317 that was mostly complete without the engine for $225. Now I have all the parts to complete the H2 conversion and the steering gear.
Here is the difference in the worms. The one on the top is for the 314's and 317's. The bottom is what is used on 110's, 112's, 120's, 140's, 312's, and all 200 series. You cannot see it in the picture, but the worm has been abused and the top lip of the worm is very rough.

AwmFWw.jpg   Report this image

In the process of rebuilding the steering box, I started by turning the stud thingy that rides in the worm. It had two worn flat spots in it where it wasn't ever adjusted. Now it like new again.
    vcoLSw.jpg   Report this image

Now I have it together and have a tight spot almost at the center of the worm. I going to try to grind a little at the top edge of the worm where it tight and see if that helps. If not, I'll turn the stud thingy so it'll ride a little deeper in the worm and not touch the top edge of the worm.

Rodney

#12 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 11:13 AM

Any progress on the project?

Does a guy need a lathe and a mill to keep an old 314 working right?

#13 larryd OFFLINE  

larryd
  • Member No: 15865
  • 724 Thanks
  • 1,058 posts

Posted January 15, 2015 - 07:42 AM

uch nicer than mine. Keep up the good work. Ithink my next project might a sleeve hitch even though I don't have a use for it.

larryd