This is my first project thread for me here on GT talk. I was surfing CL for some Kohler parts and engines cause I need some parts for the 120 and 140's that I have and came across a 314 that a restore had been started. What really caught my eye was it had a new K321 Kohler short block installed not long ago and the price was $500. I called and found it came with a 48" replacement deck, a 54" 2 way hyd blade and a 43" blade from a 200 series. I got it bought for $450 and feel that is what I'm going to have in any Kohler engine rebuild using Kohler parts.
This is as far as the PO got it. He lost interest in it and it was taking up space. He replaced both axle seals on the transaxle and all worn parts as he was assembling it. It came from a motel and they had a new short block installed at a JD dealer (it has a replacement short block decal on the engine) not long ago. They bought a new mower and used this for a back up. It was stored under some sort of cooling tower and everything was in pretty bad shape. He only gave $200 for it when he bought it, but all the cosmetic parts were trash and he bought used parts to replace them.
Here is the deck. Needs some TLC
I was working on putting the front end back together and discovered the spindles bores were worn very badly. So a few hours later I have bushing ready to be installed. I set the axle up in the mill and rebored the bores with a fresh ground 1.150" endmill. Also found out that JD put 2 1/5 degrees of caster in these while setting it up on the mill.
New bushings just needs to be pressed the rest the way in with a tool I'll have to make.