#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 08:55 PM

There is a good chance your fuel tank, fuel filter, and your fuel pump might all have that same gel residue in them. May I suggest removing the fuel inlet line from the carb, cranking it over, and see what you get for volume coming out? Into a clean container, for inspection. May need a helper for that project.

• CitySlicker said thank you

#17 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 11:20 PM

You have mail city slicker......

#18 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 02:29 AM

One of my tractors had that same type of gel in it from sitting with fuel in it for a long time Not that big of a deal I just took mine  apart and took a couple cans  of carb cleaner and spray the crap out of it then took a small container and let the parts soak for a day in the cleaner then sprayed again then hose it out with air and mine runs great flush the pump and replace the lines then every time im done using the tractor I shut the fuel line off and let the tractor run til it dies emptying out the gas and haven't had any issues since Another thing is the condition of the tines on the tiller if they need replaced they run $250-$350 for regular or hardened and that can set the price on the tiller also

• CitySlicker said thank you

#19 CitySlicker OFFLINE  

CitySlicker
  • Member No: 62540
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 12:49 PM

One of my tractors had that same type of gel in it from sitting with fuel in it for a long time Not that big of a deal I just took mine  apart and took a couple cans  of carb cleaner and spray the crap out of it then took a small container and let the parts soak for a day in the cleaner then sprayed again then hose it out with air and mine runs great flush the pump and replace the lines then every time im done using the tractor I shut the fuel line off and let the tractor run til it dies emptying out the gas and haven't had any issues since Another thing is the condition of the tines on the tiller if they need replaced they run $250-$350 for regular or hardened and that can set the price on the tiller also

I tried cleaning the gel out and its starting a little better but still won't stay on. I'll take your suggestion and try using carb cleaner to clean it all the way out. Nice trick about shutting of the fuel line if the machine is going to stay idle for awhile. Thanks for the pricing help on the tiller. 

#20 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 01:50 PM

Not sure of that style tiller Its the Snapper version not the Massey 4850

It's identical to the Massey "4250" tiller, like what I have.

• adolphsson09 and ENafziger have said thanks

#21 CitySlicker OFFLINE  

CitySlicker
  • Member No: 62540
  • 4 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 06:41 PM

Thanks again for everyone's help. I was able to sell the tractor today. 

• limebuzz said thank you

#22 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 10:45 AM

That's great Mind if I ask how much you got for the setup

#23 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted February 24, 2016 - 12:36 PM

I like big old odd tractors and have way too much stuff, but I just bought a Snapper 1855 locally here for $500 anyways.  It runs and drives great and doesn't leak.  It has a 3 point hitch and a rear blade someone fabbed up.  I really didn't need it, but I saw one here on the site and I got the bug to get one.  I almost bought another one that came up for sale locally for $850 not too long ago, but decided it was a little too rough and too expensive for me.  I wanted a Sears FF but couldn't find one for a good price and I didn't want a bigger John Deere or Cub Cadet because it seems everyone has them and they're really high priced.  I'll post some pictures later.

• olcowhand, limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks

#24 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 358 Thanks
  • 343 posts

Posted February 25, 2016 - 01:32 AM

I picked up my 1855 tonight and WOW, is that thing big!  It looks much bigger than in the pictures.  More details to come.