• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Since not everybody watches the Diesel GT forum, here is my new to me 920 Diesel that I just traded my cub cadet for.  She has a few minor issues, but she starts easily from cold without any preheat, infact its not even hooked up right now!   But she is wet stacking bad.  Definatly a skeeter fogger, all white unburnt diesel, no bluish tint to it.  The PO got it non running early this summer, and I have been helping him with parts and diesel specific questions.  He got it running, but from my view its overfueling bad.  Didnt have much daylight to look into it further.  I need to pull the muffler again to make a new flange gasget.  Someone hit the muff and bent its flange, which I fixed.  But the gasget is shot, so its leaking.  I will look up into the exhaust manifold and see if one or both cylinders are wet stacking. Its got good compression and like I said, starts almost instantly from cold, even in the upper 30's air temp.  The gentleman did try putting a load on for about 10min with the mower deck and he said it started to clear up a bit after a few min.  So I am guessing either fouled out injectors or most likely worn out injectors.  Hour meter shows over 5000 hours but its non functional and unknown if its accurate. Its unknown if the engine was ever refreshed either.  I have like 600 bucks in it as it sits.  I an running a tank of Power Services fuel injector cleaner/cetane booster thru it for now.  Getting the injectors rebuilt wont be in the budget till next spring when the OT kicks in at work.  Cheers  Mike

920d001_zpsb376f8d9.jpg

920d002_zpsee462cd3.jpg

• olcowhand, daytime dave, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 09:13 PM

That's a great deal, wish I could find one for that money.

#3 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 09:25 PM

I just got lucky that I wasnt into the tractor I had very deep.  I had swapped a nice Sunstar for a '64 Landlord.  Then I swapped it for a rare Cub Cadet model 70 with dealer installed timed mower deck, creeper gear box, bought a thrower for it to get ready for this coming winter.  I knew of this tractor all year, knew he was trying to sell it but nobody wanted to touch it with the smoke.  So he offered it to me and I swapped my cub/blower set up and a little cash for the 920.   Lets hope that hard work clears up the wet stacking, or lessens it till I can get the injectors rebuilt.  I will be snowthrower hunting this friday at the Portland, IN swap meet.    Mike

#4 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 10:40 PM

Wow, that sure looks great.  Congratulations and enjoy it.

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 05:56 AM

I refreshed my injectors but they still smoke a little. I wonder since these are air cooled if they run a little rich to help with cooling. I am also trying to locate replacement nozzles.I tracked down a Stanadyne cross reference that has some Lombardini numbers on it but I havent had time to actually pull injectors and get the nozzle numbers yet. I figure replacing the nozzles would be cheaper than a full rebuild.

#6 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 03:41 PM

Wow nice score! That is one that is on my bucket list!

#7 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 06:24 PM

I got a few things done on her today at work.  Was a slow day so plenty of time to work on the 920.  I degreased the beast, then fought with the warped muffler flange and burnt gasget.  I didnt want to wait on the slow boat from Italy for a new OEM exhaust gasget, so I made up 2 of them from gasget material we have at work.  Its much better, still seeps just a bit in the middle.  I was out of black high temp RTV, but I will get some shortly and seal it up good. The bad oil leak is the oil presure sending unit.  I didnt have my 1/2 drive swivel and thats the only way I see to get it out without pulling the head off the rear cylinder.  Its really tucked in down there.   I should be able to get a replacement at NAPA once I get the old one for them to see. I got the strobe wired up, rear flood light wired up and the preheat wired back up.  Not totaly sure its working right but I have power to it.  I will dive into it more soon.  I only got a couple short chances to work it a bit.  I can say I get more black smoke now on start up, whereas before it was all white.  Still plenty of white when running, espicaly on throttle up.  I got the offical notice from the boss that I am the side walk person for this coming winter.  So the race is on to find a 36" snow thrower.  I want the narrow width for some of the narrow walks I will have to clear.  Also fits thru my gate better.  Cheers  Mike

• Cvans said thank you

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 10:11 AM

Good luck on the blower...should be pretty easy to track down, and affordable too.  Wish I had known sooner.  There was one here roadside all summer, in great shape for $75 obo.  The 36" doesn't get as much love at the 42" does, but I like the way the smaller blower operates better.  In a single stage, rate of feed is critical, and it's easier to get right, more often, with the narrower blower.  IMO, they throw farther too.

The 36" blower will probably be slightly narrower than the tractor though...maybe by an inch or less, but it can be annoying.  A good 'upgrade' would be to swap out a set of 8.5" rears for winter.  Better traction, you will stay within your blower's path, and chains will be cheaper too.  I always opt for narrower in winter if given the option.

Sounds like you made some good trades...that LL was a gem, and real tough to find in that condition, BUT, you have ended up well ahead!  I recently sold one of my 7790's for $1800, which seemed plenty fair IMO for a clean, non-smoker.  Fella drove 12 hours to get it too, and had to get a hotel room.  I will never be without one, though.  They rock.

• Alc said thank you

#9 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,708 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 10:21 AM

Josh, the same blower works through the 70's and 80's, correct? There was just one listed in the classifieds this morning.

#10 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 01:02 PM

He will need a 'single pulley RBT hitch'.  Many of the 700/7000 series tractors had front PTO's, which require a '2 pulley' hitch.  That type wouldn't work on the diesel since it has no front shaft/PTO.  

I can't quite tell which hitch the one in the classifieds has...the pictures are crummy.  

Here's one that fits the bill perfectly...a scarce combo, the 36" with single pulley hitch.  The price is ridiculous though.  The vast majority of blowers with this hitch will be 42".  Chances are, he may have to buy the blower, then a hitch separately.

http://milwaukee.cra...4673475352.html

00n0n_2HyHOpveW4g_600x450.jpg

Here's another that meets his needs...and in beautiful shape, but again with a sky high price.

http://chambana.crai...4705879754.html

00b0b_h2T88SoBFUv_600x450.jpg

Edited by Talntedmrgreen, October 09, 2014 - 01:10 PM.

#11 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 01:28 PM

LOL, I saw that ad for that super clean tractor today at work when the boss and I were searching for a thrower.   That is one CLEAN Simplicity!   And with the price to boot.   If I had to get a 42 to get the right hitch I will, someone not far from me has the 36 and will swap me for the 42 head unit.  I can get the 42 thru the gate and shed, both are 46ish inches wide, its tight but fits.  A friend is hooking me up with 10.50 chains for this winter.  I have 8.50 ones right now.  She is gonna need new shoes on all 4 corners soon, all are dry cracked and hard as a rock.  Thankfully they all hold air.  Thanks for posting up a pic of what style hitch I need.  Thats what I thought I needed but wasnt sure.  There is a blade near me for 125 in Amboy IN that I think will fit the 920 if it comes to that.  Mike

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 06:27 PM

I refreshed my injectors but they still smoke a little. I wonder since these are air cooled if they run a little rich to help with cooling. I am also trying to locate replacement nozzles.I tracked down a Stanadyne cross reference that has some Lombardini numbers on it but I havent had time to actually pull injectors and get the nozzle numbers yet. I figure replacing the nozzles would be cheaper than a full rebuild.

Valves, go .001 to .002 above specs, see what that does.

• coldone said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 06:31 PM

I got a few things done on her today at work.  Was a slow day so plenty of time to work on the 920.  I degreased the beast, then fought with the warped muffler flange and burnt gasget.  I didnt want to wait on the slow boat from Italy for a new OEM exhaust gasget, so I made up 2 of them from gasget material we have at work.  Its much better, still seeps just a bit in the middle.  I was out of black high temp RTV, but I will get some shortly and seal it up good. The bad oil leak is the oil presure sending unit.  I didnt have my 1/2 drive swivel and thats the only way I see to get it out without pulling the head off the rear cylinder.  Its really tucked in down there.   I should be able to get a replacement at NAPA once I get the old one for them to see. I got the strobe wired up, rear flood light wired up and the preheat wired back up.  Not totaly sure its working right but I have power to it.  I will dive into it more soon.  I only got a couple short chances to work it a bit.  I can say I get more black smoke now on start up, whereas before it was all white.  Still plenty of white when running, espicaly on throttle up.  I got the offical notice from the boss that I am the side walk person for this coming winter.  So the race is on to find a 36" snow thrower.  I want the narrow width for some of the narrow walks I will have to clear.  Also fits thru my gate better.  Cheers  Mike

Don't re-use the sealing washer if the injector was removed, replace them, regardless if it is copper or aluminum.

White means unburnt fuel, compression timing is not right, check valve specs, if within specs go .001 to .002 over.

Change oil and check for blow-by.

#14 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Blow by is very minimal, I was planning to pull the rocker box covers this weekend and see what the valve lash is set at, lord knows when it was done last. Supposed to be done every 300 hours by the book. I wont pull the injectors till I have new seal washers on hand.  I do plan to pull them and clean the tips.  A proper injector rebuild will probably come this spring.  I have the repair manual that covers small diesels including this one on order.  I will try that extra spacing on the valve lash.  I have the factory specs on a post-it note on my box at work.  Mike

#15 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Don't re-use the sealing washer if the injector was removed, replace them, regardless if it is copper or aluminum.

White means unburnt fuel, compression timing is not right, check valve specs, if within specs go .001 to .002 over.

Change oil and check for blow-by.

Trowel, I need educating. How do I choose the correct washer? The parts manual shows them but Lombardini parts are hard to come by around here. Arent there generic washer also?