• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • Member No: 62275
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 02:52 PM

Hi.  I'm new to GT tractor forum.  (kinda)  I have been reading the Massey/Snapper?AMF forum for the last several days. Tons of good info in there.  I bought a MF 1450 last fall knowing the deck was locked up.  Got it apart and the center bearing was seized up, which will be no problem.  My question is can someone tell me how to replace the left rear axle seal on this tractor.  Do i need to take out the axle and replace it from the inside??   Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Kmac1

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 03:20 PM

Welcome Kmac1. You just have to jack up the rear of your tractor,remove the wheel,pull your hub off.Then use a flat head screwdriver to pop out your old seal and replace it with a new one. Then put it all back together and your done

• Kmac1 said thank you

#3 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 03:22 PM

I used my 1450 for mowing duties for 3 years,and loved it. How bout some pics of yours.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 03:56 PM

The outer seal just behind the hub is more or less a dust seal.  The true axle seal is next to the differential housing & requires pulling the axle tube off the trans housing.  The seal is the same on both sides and the OE part # is 368369X1.  The outer dust seal is part #842569M1

• limebuzz said thank you

#5 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 04:16 PM

Oh, I never have had the opportunity to change them. I didn't even know there was inner seals. Thanks Daniel, learn something new everyday. Sorry,dont mean to take over your post,but if the outer is leaking,does that mean you should change the inners too?

• Kmac1 said thank you

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 04:23 PM

Oh, I never have had the opportunity to change them. I didn't even know there was inner seals. Thanks Daniel, learn something new everyday. Sorry,dont mean to take over your post,but if the outer is leaking,does that mean you should change the inners too?

Yes, if the outers are leaking, then the inners are toast.  You're not taking over his thread buzz....all good info for Kmac1.  :thumbs:

• limebuzz and Kmac1 have said thanks

#7 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 04:04 AM

Thanks everyone for all the replies. This is an awesome forum and the knowledge I see in every post is second to none. I will post photos of my 1450 in a dwy or two and as I told olcowhand in a PM I am restoring a
Snapper 1855A and I will post photos of it as well as the restoration progresses. Thanks again everyone.
Kmac1
  • limebuzz said thank you

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 04:50 AM

:wave: Welcome! Glad you are gleaming the info you seek! Pic help is in the link in my signature!

• Kmac1 said thank you

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 05:38 AM

Yes, if the outers are leaking, then the inners are toast.  You're not taking over his thread buzz....all good info for Kmac1

Daniel is the outer seal just some " lip" type and the inner a O-ring ? Like a hydraulic cylinder ?  Little confused , but I get confused easily lol

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Daniel is the outer seal just some " lip" type and the inner a O-ring ? Like a hydraulic cylinder ?  Little confused , but I get confused easily lol

The inner is also a lip style seal.  The outer bearing behind the hub is a sealed bearing, so needs no oil and that seal isn't as stout as the inner, as it's just to keep muck out.

• Alc said thank you

#11 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 08:09 PM

Junk 2013 715.jpg Junk 2013 716.jpg Junk 2013 717.jpg Junk 2013 718.jpg Junk 2013 714.jpg

Here are the photos of the 1450 I bought about a year ago for 450.00. I was told that the owners son had put all new bearings in the deck, made about 2 rounds on the yard and it locked up so they just parked it. I have it up on jack stands right now, replacing the axle seal, overhauled the carb, and found the center shaft on the deck was locked up and the outer shafts are in good shape. 14hp Kohler runs great. My plans are to use it to mow with while I am restoring my Snapper 1855A, then I will restore the MF 1450.
  • limebuzz, Alc and Sawdust have said thanks

#12 limebuzz ONLINE  

limebuzz

• 863 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Nice looking tractor you have there for $450. That's also a sexy car behind the MF. Had one just like it,but in Canyon Red.

• Kmac1 said thank you

#13 Kmac1 OFFLINE  

Kmac1
  • 521 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted October 20, 2014 - 08:57 PM

Got all the axle seals in the MF 1450 this weekend, pulled the carb off and overhauled it, had to put a new grommet in the bottom of the fuel tank, new battery and changed the oil in it.  It cranked over a few times and started, set the fuel mixture and it runs like a top.  Bought all new bearing for the deck and will put those in tomorrow.  Hopefully I will get to mow with it by tomorrow evening.  That is if I get my sewer line finished tomorrow morning.  Willie

• olcowhand, limebuzz and Sawdust have said thanks