Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jaques Mighty Might Project. Almost A No, Now A Go!

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted October 25, 2014 - 06:02 PM

Here is a list of the bearings and seals needed for the rear end and transmission on a Jaques Mighty Mite. I did not include part numbers for the differential carrier bearings and races, the differential pinion shaft bearings and races, or the Borg Warner T-96-1 transmission case bearings.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141025_185040-1.jpg

Edited by classic, October 25, 2014 - 08:27 PM.

• DougT, Bruce Dorsi and rewalter have said thanks

#32 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted December 14, 2014 - 05:27 PM

Just some updates as to where I am at with the tractor. I rebuilt the Briggs ZZ long block and I'm in the process of cleaning up the rest of the engine parts to get it ready for paint and decals. I have to rivet the correct screen to the flywheel cover so I can use the correct front pulley. The center section of the rear end is cleaned and reassembled with new seals and the correct thickness gaskets that I had to make. The transmission is cleaned and I have to finish reassembling it. I made up new gaskets and I have a new output shaft seal and front input shaft bearing for it. It takes a lot of time cleaning, rebuilding, and researching everything, but it will be worth the effort!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141214_162019-1.jpg
  • 20141214_164549-1.jpg
  • 20141214_165656-1.jpg
  • 20141205_155215-1.jpg

• NUTNDUN, DougT, Bruce Dorsi and 3 others have said thanks

#33 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the update and pics!

#34 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 08:40 PM

It's awesome to see you making progress on your Mighty Might. Glad you were able to find a parts tractor to complete the build and it is also nice to see that you are being thorough with the project as well. Can't wait to see this one finished. 

• classic said thank you

#35 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted December 23, 2014 - 10:28 PM

Thanks guys. It's great to finally get started on this tractor after having it for so long. Looking at these Mighty Mites, there doesn't seem to be much to them until you disassemble everything. Not being in a rush is allowing me to break everything down and be thorough. Just making all of the needed gaskets has been time consuming in itself. I'm making templates out of some rigid green file folders first, then I transfer the pattern to the Felpro gasket material. I did this in case anyone needs the patterns in the future. I'll be getting back into the restoration after the holidays since I'm broke now, HA!
  • KennyP said thank you

#36 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted January 18, 2015 - 10:17 PM

I made a little progress, but work and firewood are keeping me busy. I modified the air cleaner tube so that it will fit under the hood on the tractor. I found a pic online of a Mighty Mite that had the tube modified, so I did something similar. I just have to weld the two pieces together, shorten and thread the air cleaner stud, drill and tap the blower housing for the tube support bracket, and make a bracket that links the tube to the carb on the bottom. I also came across an NOS Briggs muffler and an NOS Twin Disc Co. Clutch assembly. Next will be rebuilding the Ross steering box.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150106_204154-1-1.jpg
  • post-6127-0-54039300-1416878662-1-1-1.jpg
  • 20150105_203241-1.jpg
  • 20150118_215605-1-1.jpg

• MH81, Alc and Gabriel have said thanks

#37 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted January 19, 2015 - 07:46 AM

Nice that you are making headway.
I hear ya on the firewood and work thing.
  • classic said thank you

#38 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 09:33 AM

I figured that I would revisit this thread with an update. I put this project on the back burner for a bit since I'm restoring a Gard'n Mast'r Jr. at the moment. I'm clearing out a spot in the shed so I can get back to working on the Mighty Mite, though. I have been picking up parts for this project and I'm itching to get back to it. I found an NOS gas tank, an NOS carburetor from '52, another NOS sediment bowl, and I picked up a steering column tube and steering wheel for the steering column rebuild. I finally decided on tires and picked up Goodyear 7.50-16 tires and 4.00-12 tri ribs for the front. I changed my mind on the fronts and I'm going with the Firestone classic tri ribs instead. The smooth tread tri ribs will go on the Power King now. My rims are in good shape, but I'll need to sand blast them and prep them for paint. I didn't think It would take this long to restore the Mighty Mite,but waiting has given me time to locate needed parts. I'll continue to update as I move along.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150711_215709-1-1.jpg
  • 20150711_195230-1.jpg
  • 20150711_195335-1.jpg
  • Fire_Original_Front__13111.1351788587.1280.1280.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#39 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted July 12, 2015 - 10:20 AM

My old gas tanks are both in need of repair. One of them is dented up and has been repaired before. The other has pitting and some small pin holes. The new tank will save some time on the restoration.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150103_114150-1.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#40 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted August 06, 2015 - 09:43 PM

I was reading through your post because I am working on a Jaques-Frazer Model T tractor for a friend.  I don't think the date on the transmission means much for the tractor.  The tranny on this tractor has a date of 4-13-48 and according to the story i have heard the Jaques-Frazer was made before the Might Mite.

IMG_7631 (Large).JPG IMG_7666 (Large).JPG

• classic said thank you

#41 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 12:25 AM

Thanks for posting the pics of the model T, I always liked the looks of those. The Briggs ZZ engine in another Mighty Mite that I picked up was built in 1948 along with the transmission. All I can say for certain, is that the Mighty Mites that I have picked up were built during or after 1948, due the transmission case manufacturing dates. There is an add in a magazine from 1948 offering Mighty Mite tractors for sale, so they were definitely produced and sold during that year. I'm actually rebuilding the T96 transmission shortly for the Mighty Mite I'm restoring. Locating a new cluster gear for a reasonable price isn't easy, though. I'm wrapping up the rebuild on my Gard'n Mast'r Jr. transmission within a day or so. It took a bit of hunting around to find parts for that 30's Mopar transmission, but it was a fun project.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20150805_144556-1.jpg
  • o318.jpg
  • Mighty Mite 1.jpg
  • Mighty Mite Ad0001.jpg

Edited by classic, August 07, 2015 - 12:46 AM.

• RAJ, earthgrinder and Alc have said thanks

#42 earthgrinder OFFLINE  

earthgrinder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 450
  • 862 Thanks
  • 373 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 07:30 AM

Quite possibly both were built in the same year.  In my literature, February 1948 was the introduction date for the Jaques-Frazer Model T.  Interesting information.  Most of the stories on the Frazer tractor would leave one to believe the Might Mite was a result of the failure of the J-F Model T. 

The transmission is a Crosley?  There is a Crosley car club here in PA.  Have you checked with then for parts?  

#43 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 09:26 AM

The history has always been sparse on these tractors, but others have come across some facts over the years. From what I've read, Jaques Power Saw Company built the Mighty Mite,and then sold the chassis to other companies so that the other companies could build their own tractors. The Frazier rototiller company was loosing sales of their rototiller due to competition,so they adapted their rototiller engine to the Jaques chassis. Some of the early Mighty Mites had model A ford rear end housings rather than the rear end housings that you typically see on the Mighty Mites.
The transmission in the Mighty Might is a Borg Warner T96. Versions of this transmission are seen in AMC Ramblers, Studebakers, and other vehicles. I have been able to locate the needed parts by doing some research. There are differences in these T96 transmissions such as the tooth count on the cluster gear and configuration of the main shaft. I've been able to locate the part numbers for the low/reverse sliding gear, 2nd and 3rd gear, reverse idler gear, cluster gear, synchro gear assembly, and various other parts needed for the rebuild. Unfortunately, the three T96 transmissions that I have disassembled all have pitting on the gear teeth. This is common, since most of these old tractors sit out in the weather and get water in the transmission. The Crosley uses the Borg Warner T92 transmission which is basically a smaller version of the T96.Every one of those that I have disassembled have pitted gears, also. All parts for the T92 and T96 transmission can be found through various sources. It's best to search ebay for gears and other parts, since you can get great deals on NOS parts if you search hard enough.It would cost a small fortune to rebuild either of these transmissions if I were to pay the average going rate for the parts. I've seen the cluster gear new for the T96 listed from 195.00 to 350.00. I'm keeping my eyes open for a better deal than that. Thanks for the info regarding the Crosley car club. The transmissions survive better in the cars since they don't have water running down the shifter destroying everything. For my Gard'n Mast'r transmission rebuild, I ended up buying a 1937 Plymouth transmission that was in great shape. I'm using the gears, mainshaft, top cover, output shaft yoke, and parking brake hub from this transmission, along with new bearings, seals, gaskets, thrust washers, and snap rings to rebuild my transmission. It's a shame that most of these tractors have ruined transmissions due to water damage.

Edited by classic, August 07, 2015 - 09:30 AM.

• RAJ and earthgrinder have said thanks

#44 Tbrooks ONLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 10:04 PM

I figured that I would revisit this thread with an update. I put this project on the back burner for a bit since I'm restoring a Gard'n Mast'r Jr. at the moment. I'm clearing out a spot in the shed so I can get back to working on the Mighty Mite, though. I have been picking up parts for this project and I'm itching to get back to it. I found an NOS gas tank, an NOS carburetor from '52, another NOS sediment bowl, and I picked up a steering column tube and steering wheel for the steering column rebuild. I finally decided on tires and picked up Goodyear 7.50-16 tires and 4.00-12 tri ribs for the front. I changed my mind on the fronts and I'm going with the Firestone classic tri ribs instead. The smooth tread tri ribs will go on the Power King now. My rims are in good shape, but I'll need to sand blast them and prep them for paint. I didn't think It would take this long to restore the Mighty Mite,but waiting has given me time to locate needed parts. I'll continue to update as I move along.

where did you find a complete decal set for your briggs?

#45 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted August 07, 2015 - 10:14 PM

I picked up the decals from a seller on ebay. I just searched Briggs decals on ebay, and there they were. They are actually stickers. I would rather use water transfer decals, but I haven't searched enough to find the ones that I need. I'm going to see how these work out.