After loosing the original Tecumseh engine in my MF8 2 years ago and replacing with a HF clone engine. I have been wanting to find a Kohler 8 hp to put in the MF8. Last Friday I found one on CL $100 80 miles away that said it ran but only at idle, with the add being 11 days old I figured it was sold and the add not pulled yet. When I called it was still for sale and on Sat I drove up and picked up the engine. Yesterday I was seeing if I could get the rpms up and after a couple of adjustments I could get the rpms up. I checked the inside of the tank and it was rusty, so off came the tank (will use the one on the tractor anyway) and pulled the carb apart. The carb was full of crud and a new kit will be going in this weekend. The other great part was the crankshaft is 1" which is what the org Tecumseh had in it so I can reuse the 2 groove pulley. I know you all want pictures, I took some but only the serial number of the engine and carb not engine itself. Plan is to have it installed and running this weekend, along with some more pictures.
New (Used) Powerplant For Mf8
Posted October 07, 2014 - 05:25 AM
Good things come to those who keep looking! Glad you found it!
Posted October 07, 2014 - 10:47 AM
Nice, they look so much better with a flat head engine in them.
Posted October 08, 2014 - 09:46 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of the engine sitting on the bench waiting for the carb to be rebuilt. I had already pulled the factory tank off the engine. Plan is to have carb rebuilt and sitting in the 8 and running on Saturday. The only issue may be the exhaust, I haven't had a chance to do some measuring to see if it will fit as is or have to have a pipe elbow or 2 to clear the hood and grill. I also need to rotate the pull start 180 deg, I have had the bolts for it soaking since Sunday with PB blaster.
- sacsr said thank you
Posted October 11, 2014 - 10:02 PM
Looks like a great find :)
Posted October 12, 2014 - 06:04 AM
Posted October 12, 2014 - 06:32 AM
Posted October 12, 2014 - 11:46 AM
Update (few issues)-Yesterday I rebuilt the carb for the Kohler and then pulled out the clone engine from the MF8. After doing some measuring of the oil pan on the Kohler there was no way it would fit in the engine cradle/mount. I ended up pulling out the engine cradle/mount and measuring and drilling holes to mount the Kohler engine to the frame. I alos had to notch the frame a little more on the front. The Kohler engine's oil drain plug ended up being towards the back of the tractor so I ended up with a piece of 1/2 pipe, elbow, nipple, and cap so I have access to drain the engine oil from the bottom of the tractor. The other issue was fuel tank, the original tank mount had the fuel tank hitting the engine. To fix it I rotated the tank mount 180 degree's, drilled new holes in battery box and bolted it one. I also had to put a wood spacer under the tank so the bracket will bolt down tight against the tank. I am not planning on putting a batter in the tractor due to space and also the engine being a pull start. The Kohler does have 2 holes for a starter in the block, but I didn't see any ring gear on the flywheel.
I was correct last week when I thought the exhaust wouldn't clear the hood, the muffler ended up right at the edge of the hood. I was able to get the muffler off and wanted to take the piece of pipe out of the engine so I can put a longer piece of pipe to clear the hood. So far the pipe wont move, I am letting it soak with PB blaster and will try later.
The other issue for the hood to close is the air cleaner barely clears the front grill, There is a piece of metal that goes along the bottom of the hood that will need to come off for the hood to close.
The other issue is the drive belt for the hydro is too short now, it looks like I will have to get a belt 1" longer on Monday. I plan on getting a 1" longer along with a 2" longer just to make sure I have the correct one. I also need to find a clamp for the throttle to get it mounted to the engine.
- MH81 said thank you
Posted October 15, 2014 - 06:11 PM
Sounds like your getting there won't be long it will be running like a champ :)
Posted October 19, 2014 - 09:18 AM
Progress yesterday-For the exhaust I ended up putting on a 45 degree pipe elbow on the end of the pipe coming out the engine and then another small piece of pipe and a new muffler . I took off a piece of metal by the hood hinges so the hood will close all the way without hitting the air cleaner. . I just need to figure out a bracket for the choke cable and hood cable. I did hook up the snowblower yesterday to see how it would run, the engine has plenty of power and didn't even bog down like the clone engine did.
- limebuzz said thank you