9 replies to this topic

#1 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1183
  • 239 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 10:15 PM

After loosing the original Tecumseh engine in my MF8 2 years ago and replacing with a HF clone engine. I have been wanting to find a Kohler 8 hp to put in the MF8. Last Friday I found one on CL $100 80 miles away that said it ran but only at idle, with the add being 11 days old I figured it was sold and the add not pulled yet. When I called it was still for sale and on Sat I drove up and picked up the engine. Yesterday I was seeing if I could get the rpms up and after a couple of adjustments I could get the rpms up. I checked  the inside of the tank and it was rusty, so off came the tank (will use the one on the tractor anyway) and pulled the carb apart. The carb was full of crud and a new kit will be going in this weekend. The other great part was the crankshaft is 1" which is what the org Tecumseh had in it so I can reuse the 2 groove pulley. I know you all want pictures, I took some but only the serial number of the engine and carb not engine itself. :wallbanging:  WP_20141004_001.jpg Plan is to have it installed and running this weekend, along with some more pictures.

• limebuzz, MH81, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 05:25 AM

Good things come to those who keep looking! Glad you found it!

#3 jpegram OFFLINE  

jpegram
  • Member No: 8600
  • 60 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Nice, they look so much better with a flat head engine in them.

#4 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 239 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 09:46 PM

WP_20141007_002.jpg WP_20141007_001.jpg Here are a couple  of pictures of  the engine sitting on the bench waiting for the carb to be rebuilt. I had already pulled the factory tank off the engine. Plan is to have carb rebuilt and sitting in the 8 and running on Saturday. The only issue may be the exhaust, I haven't had a chance to do some measuring to see if it will fit as is or have to have a pipe elbow or 2 to clear the hood and grill. I also need to rotate the pull start 180 deg, I have had the bolts for it soaking since Sunday with PB blaster.

• sacsr said thank you

#5 mavtoy OFFLINE  

mavtoy
  • Member No: 37269
  • 72 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 10:02 PM

Looks like a great find :)

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 06:04 AM

Sounds like a good buy. Look forward to seeing it installed and the MF up and running!

#7 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 06:32 AM

I'll be watching this one. I have an 8 that I think will be going under the same or similar surgery.

#8 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 239 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 11:46 AM

Update (few issues)-Yesterday I rebuilt the carb for the Kohler and then pulled out the clone engine from the MF8. After doing some measuring of the oil pan on the Kohler there was no way it would fit in the engine cradle/mount. I ended up pulling out the engine cradle/mount and measuring and drilling holes to mount the Kohler engine to the frame. 100_0157.JPG I alos had to notch the frame a little more on the front. The Kohler engine's oil drain plug ended up being towards the back of the tractor so I ended up with a piece of 1/2 pipe, elbow, nipple, and cap so I have access to drain the engine oil from the bottom of the tractor. 100_0158.JPG The other issue was fuel tank, the original tank mount had the fuel tank hitting the engine. To fix it I rotated the tank mount 180 degree's, drilled new holes in battery box and bolted it one. I also had to put a wood spacer under the tank so the bracket will bolt down tight against the tank. I am not planning on putting a batter in the tractor due to space and also the engine being a pull start. The Kohler does have 2 holes for a starter in the block, but I didn't see any ring gear on the flywheel.

I was correct last week when I thought the exhaust wouldn't clear the hood, 100_0159.JPG the muffler ended up right at the edge of the hood. I was able to get the muffler off and wanted to take the piece of pipe out of the engine so I can put a longer piece of pipe to clear the hood. So far the pipe wont move, I am letting it soak with PB blaster and will try later.

The other issue for the hood to close is the air cleaner barely clears the front grill, 100_0161.JPG There is a piece of metal that goes along the bottom of the hood 100_0160.JPG that will need to come off for the hood to close.  

The other issue is the drive belt for the hydro is too short now, it looks like I will have to get a belt 1" longer on Monday. I plan on getting a 1" longer along with a 2" longer just to make sure I have the correct one. I also need to find a clamp for the throttle to get it mounted to the engine.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0159.JPG

• MH81 said thank you

#9 mavtoy OFFLINE  

mavtoy
  • Member No: 37269
  • 72 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted October 15, 2014 - 06:11 PM

Sounds like your getting there won't be long it will be running like a champ :)

#10 esbbent ONLINE  

esbbent

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 239 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 09:18 AM

Progress yesterday-For the exhaust I ended up putting on a 45 degree pipe elbow on the end of the pipe coming out the engine and then another small piece of pipe and a new muffler 000_0002.JPG . I took off a piece of metal by the hood hinges so the hood will close all the way without hitting the air cleaner. 000_0001.JPG . I just need to figure out a bracket for the choke cable and hood cable. I did hook up the snowblower yesterday to see how it would run, the engine has plenty of power and didn't even bog down like the clone engine did.

• limebuzz said thank you