#1 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 17, 2011 - 10:04 PM

Because of doing some painting inside this winter and we all know how overspray likes to get on everything I made this portable spray booth to use inside my heated shop.I made it so that it is light weight and can be put together fairly quickly.It's made out of 2x2's and plastic stapled onto the outside. .Each wall is 8' long and about 6'tall.I simply use 2 screws in each corner to hold the walls together.I also use 2 pieces of 2x2 on the top of the walls to act as a rafter to keep the plastic from falling down inside.I have a homebuilt dust collector system that I use to draw any overspray out of the booth as well.On the opposite side of the booth in each top corner I have opening's to let air into the booth while the dust collector is running.It seems to work pretty good in drawing out any of the overspray.The dust collector is actually a old furnace fan/blower assembly that I had laying around.I built a box out of plywood big enough to contain the blower inside.Each side of the box is open and I have a washable furnace filter mounted in each opening.Over top of the washable filter I also use a cloth[I had a old car seat cover that I cut up ]I place it over the outside of the filter to help with filtration.On the top of the box [the lid] it's hindged so that I can open the top.Inside there's also a washable furnace filter with a cloth over top of it as well[again to help with filtration]The top lid looks like a peg board as I drilled holes in the plywood .The reason for this is when I'am sanding I can set the stuff that I'am sanding ontop and when I'am sanding I turn on the blower and it will pull and trap most of the dust in the filter.Cleaning the filter depends on how much your sanding .The dischaged air is vented out through one end of the box.I also have a washable filter mounted in that opening as well.I actually built this when I was doing wood work etc" but I use it when I'am sanding what ever as it does trap lots of dust.Off course I do still always wear a face mask.Beacause of using it to draw the over spray out of the paint booth I'll be needing to change the cloth filters as there starting to show paint on them.I only have one pic of the booth and blower at this time but once I'am finished with painting I'll take some better pics of the blower etc.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• Allis Restore 037 (Small).jpg

• olcowhand, caseguy and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 17, 2011 - 10:08 PM

Very good idea Larry! Thanks for the post!

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 05:46 AM

That is a great idea.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:25 AM

That is a great idea Larry. Nice work!

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:51 AM

Hmmm, when did you get into my shop?
I thought there was a beer missing.LOLbooth.jpg

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Will you look at that!!! neat idea for sure. Larry

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 11:30 AM

Nice set-up you did there

#8 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 04:38 PM

I took the portable booth apart today and took some pics of the dust collector.Hopefully you'll get a better idea of what I was trying to explain.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• dust collector.jpg
  • dust collector (1).jpg
  • dust collector[2].jpg
  • dust collector[3].jpg
  • dust collector[4].jpg

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 05:02 PM

Larry , thanks for posting those pictures today , think I understand it better but does it exhaust out the side in picture #2 ? Al

#10 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 05:38 PM

Larry , thanks for posting those pictures today , think I understand it better but does it exhaust out the side in picture #2 ? Al

It does exhaust out thru there.I can either keep the filter in or take it out.It's just a extra bit of filtration.As you can see all the paint overspray was caught by the cloths on the outside of the washable filters.No paint made its way into any of filter's as the cloth stopped all the overspray.I'll just have to replace them.Even when sanding the cloth catches lots of the dust.What I did was every now and then I'd use the shop vac and vaccum them off.It makes a big difference having the cloth over top of the filter's ,it's double the filtration.The exhaust side of the blower moves lots of air as this is the part that would be blowing into the air ducts.I sometimes even put a piece of plywood over the front [exhaust] so to slow down the amount of air moving thru the blower.I do know it sure worked good in keeping the overspray in the air inside the paint booth to a minimum.Larry
  • Alc said thank you