• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mysal12 OFFLINE  

mysal12
  • Member No: 62519
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 06:55 PM

new here. I have a wheelhorse model 1056, (10hp, 1956) in great shape except dad left gas in it for about 7 years before i decided to drop the tank and clean it. problem is to drop the tank you have to take off the rear axel since it seems to be 1 piece from front to back. if you know otherwise please let me know. Does anyone is SE Pa work on these old models. It ran when he parked it. it would turn over when I got it back but not fire. that was a while ago. I drained all the fluid so it wouldn't draw water and parked it. Never thought it would be a few years before I got back to it I just don't have the time and this piece of history needs to be seen.)

#2 GWest OFFLINE  

GWest

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 130
  • 450 Thanks
  • 408 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Sure it is not a 1963 model 953, 1964 model 1054 or 1965 model 1054A?

Garry

Edited by GWest, October 06, 2014 - 07:43 PM.

#3 Racinbob OFFLINE  

Racinbob
  • Member No: 55951
  • 69 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 04:28 PM

mysal12, can you post a picture? Something isn't adding up here. 1056 isn't a 1956. For the most part the numbers go like this. 10 (10hp) 5 (electric start) 6 (1966). There were a few exceptions but not many. In any case, the rear end doesn't have to be removed to take the tank out. It's located just in front of the steering tower. :thumbs:

• GlenPettit said thank you

#4 mysal12 OFFLINE  

mysal12
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 05:41 PM

thanks for replying. could be 1966 and it is an electric start. Got my info from another site a few years ago but, frankly, no one else there could answer any questions. You guys know your stuff.

i am going from memory and this tractory is only a few years younger than I am.

Racin Rob-Tank is under the seat not in front of the steering column unless by in front you meant behind.:) Lift the seat and there is the gas cap. between the steering column and the rear end. two metal straps held it in.

I will try to post pics tomorrow. The tractor is high and dry in my shed, but I have to move a bunch of stuff to get to it.

#5 Racinbob OFFLINE  

Racinbob
  • Member No: 55951
  • 69 Thanks
  • 61 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 05:14 AM

That's definitely a later model. Gas tanks under the seat started in 1978. You mentioned two straps holding it in? It's possible somebody fabricated an underseat tank mount. post a pic once you get to it and we'll confirm.

#6 mysal12 OFFLINE  

mysal12
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted June 23, 2016 - 04:33 PM

It is a model 1054 as you surmised.  I guess that makes it a 1964?   10HP  I know it is an electric start (5).

Original question was how to remove the gas tank without removing the transmission, etc.  Chassis seems to be one piece solid from front to back.  Tanks is strapped in under the seat.  Tractor ran but my father left gas in it for a while and the tank is gummed up, as were the fuel lines and probably the carb.  Turned over fine when i got it back from him 6 years ago but would not fire.  I drained all the fluids.  Started to remove the tank to clean it out and stopped when I couldn't and then life got in the way.  That is the only disassembly except taking off the fuel lines and petcock.  More time now and looking at maybe getting back to it or putting it back together or maybe finding someone who will love it.

0311161113 (1).jpg

Edited by mysal12, June 23, 2016 - 04:34 PM.

• GTpicker01 said thank you

#7 GTpicker01 OFFLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 579 Thanks
  • 518 posts

Posted June 27, 2016 - 08:52 AM

Should be bolts in the front of the tranny that attach it to the front of the chassis and then it should drop out. Then the tank bolts to the fender deck. 

Try this manual and see if it helps you :)

Attached File  Tractor 1964 1054 OM IPL Wiring #177.pdf   2.55MB   33 downloads

Your 1054 looks to be in great shape and they are great tractors to own! I have a 953 (very similar) and I absolutely love it!

#8 mysal12 OFFLINE  

mysal12
  • 4 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted June 30, 2016 - 11:56 AM

GTPcker01-thanks for the manual and the good words.  I was the second owner and it has always been garaged.    I had a manual when I gave the tractor to my Dad but didn't get it back after the house cleaning when he passed.  It is a great tractor as you said and at 10hp it seems much more powerful than my 10h 1980's ariens.  

The tank, if I remember correctly, is held on by two straps bolted to the underside of the seat deck.  I got the tank loose but i couldn't figure out if I could get it all the way out without removing the tranny/axel/rear wheel assy.  Are you confirming that I need to do that or saying there is an easier way?  

I will check again to see if missed anything and get a pic.

i would really like to get it running again.  I have all the implements I will ever need, garden plow, drag, discs, snow plow.  i guess i could try to locate a mower and blower if they still exist. :)  

Thanks again.

• GTpicker01 said thank you