• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 06:32 PM

I have had an Ariens GT in the past, and will soon have another. Very much "in the works" at the moment.

Back when I had my 1st one I remember seeing another identical one except for the color;

Ariens= orange, this one was olive drab green with yellow stickers.
I don't remember exactly who marketed this one, it was Remington/Rand, Sperry Rand something like that.... as it went either Ariens bought the design from Rand or they built the tractors for them.... anyway I see the Ariens ones around still but haven't seen one of the green versions in "forever"/  

Does anyone know anything about this?

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,568 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 07:04 PM

This line of garden tractors was designed and built by Sperry Rand New Holland. The same company as the New Holland farm equipment. Theyy sold the line to Ariens and quit making garden tractors. I think it was early 70's that it was sold which was when the last olive green tractoe rolled out.

• Alc said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,922 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 07:11 PM

What he said. I got a pic, though:

image.jpg
  • fogler12538 and Markski have said thanks

#4 Markski OFFLINE  

Markski
  • Member No: 62299
  • 21 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 08:22 PM

I've seen the New Holland tractors and I thought they were blue? Why the olive drab color ?

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,568 Thanks
  • 3,951 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 08:36 PM

I've seen the New Holland tractors and I thought they were blue? Why the olive drab color ?

They turned blue with the Ford merger. There has been so many different mergers in the last 25 years. I don't think that the blue New Holland tractors share anything besides the name.

#6 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 07:54 AM

The Sperry Rand New Holland green color changed as the years went along. The last ones were not as dark as the one my dad bought in 1970.

scan0003-1.jpg

I just got one a bit ago that was buried in a pole barn. They all as far as I know had kohler engines the one pictures above was a 12HP model. Dad got the 48 inch mower deck, 48inch snow blower and the 54 inch blade. Since the drive was gravel dad used the blade till he had a base about 2 inches then switched to the blower.

:D  Al

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 07:49 AM

ok I know that New Holland still exists today (IDK who owns them or who they own)  but what ever happened to Sperry Rand? I remember that name on all kinds of things when I was a kid in the 70s

Dad used to have to fly out of OHare fairly alot back then nd I remember riding along to go drop him off/pick him up, and there was huge tall skyscraper with a Sperry Rand sign on it that I'd see along I 294  shortly before we got to OHare.

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,922 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 08:15 AM

They sold off most of their divisions, each separate one, to assorted companies. (including Vickers) There is still one with Sperry in the title, Sperry Marine. Otherwise, the main Sperry company, it's computer division, is now UNISYS.

Case New Holland Global is part of the Fiat Industrial group. They were partners, then Fiat swallowed them up. It is now CNH Industrial NV.

• dodge trucker said thank you