13 replies to this topic

#1 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,528 Thanks
  • 2,552 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 06:27 PM

today. Had to get rid of some of the junk and unused parts and pieces as well as just plain junk. We loaded a blown up Craftsman LT , a blown up Ranch King LT and an old Jacobsen 10 that was re-powered to a 7hp for pulling. We stripped some parts off it and loaded it in the trailer standing it up and loaded the rest of the trailer and off we went to the salvage yard. Once we got there the lady weighed us and came out to look at the load. As soon as she saw the Jacobsen had leaked some oil from the engine she said " you can't leave this here you have to take it back, I can't have it in the yard. " " It has to be free of fluids and can't be leaking." Never knew that. Next time I will make sure it's not sitting up leaking fluids. Both of the other had fluids of some kind in them but she didn't see that. I started to ask her about vehicles people drive in to the " Yard" when she got busy and told us to dump over there. Then that got me to thinking about cars and trucks brought to the salvage yard elsewhere. I have driven two or three vehicle to another yard removed the plates and battery and they had no problem accepting them. Is it just because she saw the oil or what. How is it in your area? Just curious. Thanks. Roger.
  • oldedeeres and propane1 have said thanks

#2 farmerall OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,130 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 06:32 PM

I've never had that happen to me. I normally just load everything up and then dump it off the truck/trailer in the yard.  

• hamman said thank you

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 06:33 PM

Just drain fluids, replace with water, you will be fine. Several people that scrap cars like to load them on the trailer, smash the windows out, and wait a few rain storms to let cloth interiors soak up water before taking them in.
  • hamman, Chopperhed and propane1 have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 07:08 PM

Does Uncle Willie know anything about scrapping, I wonder?

Ben W.

• hamman, KennyP and superspeedex have said thanks

#5 junkman OFFLINE  

• Member No: 61811
  • 119 Thanks
  • 56 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 07:22 PM

Many of the scrap yards now days want all fluids drained. Some of the better scrap yards like the one I worked at, has oil pits in a concrete slab to catch any fluids that may have been missed which there always is. The last time i was over there, they had a special rack for draining fluids out of every vehicle that comes in the yard.  And they are one that will not buy a car that was drove in, for any vehicle needs a 6' x 6' hole in the bottom of the gas tank. Many a new regulations out there in the scrap industry due to the OSHA and EPA.

Edited by junkman, October 06, 2014 - 07:23 PM.

• hamman, KennyP and sacsr have said thanks

#6 shorty ONLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,319 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 07:24 PM

Sounds like they have had a talking to by EPA.

• hamman said thank you

#7 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,701 Thanks
  • 2,163 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Around here is greatly depends on the yard, most of them want the tank either removed or a large hole cut in it. some will accept complete cars but ask for the fluids to be removed.  depends on the yard, usually if it is not leaking out they wont question it.  I have been chewed out more than one time for leaving the fluids in so don't feel alone :D

• hamman said thank you

#8 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 09:09 PM

6' x 6' hole in the gas tank that's a mighty big hole. If that's the hole I would hate to see the tank and I would hate to fill that one up junk man. lol just pulling your chain

• hamman and junkman have said thanks

#9 nbent OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8320
  • 627 Thanks
  • 519 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 09:35 PM

the yards around here don't care they drain all the fluids themselves 

• hamman said thank you

#10 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,486 Thanks
  • 7,627 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 09:55 PM

If there is something leaking out you can be sure they will not take it. For a time here one yard was paying $1 per hundred pounds extra for cars with no fluids. Unfortunately that ended. Some want the fuel tanks to have a visible hole in them, some want the tanks removed, some don't care. If any of them catch you filling a vehicle with water you are banned from the yard. I was a at yard one day where a guy brought one in dripping water from all over. He filled the engine, trans, gas tank, interior, and trunk up.

Edited by UncleWillie, October 06, 2014 - 09:55 PM.

• olcowhand, hamman, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#11 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 10:09 PM

Heck around here they only charge 20 extra bucks to get rid of the bodies in the trunk.

• hamman said thank you

#12 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 10:13 PM

They just get taken way out in the woods and buried deep where no one looks for them

• hamman said thank you

#13 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,152 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 05:47 AM

The big yard up here is A&L Iron over in Don Campbell's hometown..  When you bring in a vehicle they immediately put it up on a rack, punch a hole in the gas tank and drain all the fluids.  Then it goes into the shredder and comes out in itty bitty pieces.  My wife's 2001 Taurus blew the transmission a couple weeks ago and we loaded it on the trailer and she went over with me to scrap it out.  We stayed there and watch the 15 minute or so process and she almost cried as she watched it come out of the shredder.  Sold the wheels and tires for $200, the new battery went into the newer JD140H3 and she got $312 for the car.

• olcowhand, hamman, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,652 Thanks
  • 1,682 posts

Posted October 08, 2014 - 07:10 AM

I've never had trouble, I haul in a lot of tractor rear ends since I part out lots of tractors. Once tractor rear end I hauled in had old worn out tires on it that were fluid filled and they didn't notice (that one paid good :thumbs: )

I do know that if you have anything radioactive they reject the whole load, they run a giga counter (radiation tester) that they check your load with. Non of my stuff has come up "HOT" so I've been lucky that way.

I also knew someone who hauled in a van, they filled the gas tank with water, put 3 more gas tanks inside filled with water along with a chunk of concrete and some tin to cover it all. I don't know how they didn't get caught, I guess our scrap yard doesn't look very hard.

Good Luck

Edited by BTS, October 08, 2014 - 07:29 AM.

• hamman said thank you