Saturdays Squirrel Hunt.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 07:03 AM

Saturday morning I got ready to take the dog out for her first walk of the day at 7:00 AM. A bit windy out but otherwise a nice morning. Returned the dog then got dressed in my light weight camo, got the 20ga. Beretta silver snipe OU and a hand full of shells. Went out on the screen porch to pick up the bucket I had painted flat black for doing just this. Walking down the trail thru the vacant field to the spot where I wanted to start it began to sprinkle. Since it was only a sprinkle I continued on my way figuring it would stop soon. By the time I arrived where I wanted to start it started raining harder so I crossed the creek went up the hill to one of my deer blinds. Got settled in the deer blind got the windows open ready to go. Took about 15 minutes and a gray phase fox squirrel was going up a wild cherry tree out the south facing window. Up the tree and out on a limb, the 20ga. spoke to collect squirrel #1. About 10 more minutes there was a nice red phase squirrel hanging on the side of a Oak tree out the west facing window. Again the 20ga. spoke to collect # 2. Rain isn’t letting up in fact there are tiny ice pellets falling with the rain, After a half hour of seeing no more squirrels a lull in the falling rain seemed to be the time to head for the house. Open up the blind door and see two red phase squirrels about 20 yards away. Again the 20ga. spoke collecting # 3 and # 4 Collect the squirrels and put them in my pail and head to the pole barn. At the pole barn I put the knowledge I had gotten from Mister squawks video to use. Boy is that a slick way to clean a squirrel I did all four in about 10 minutes and it was my first time. Not badly shot up either probably had something to do with trying for head shots with 7 ½ shot. Once the squirrels were clean it was time to pay attention to the shot gun. In my gun room I break it down and run a couple patches thru the barrels and wipe down the entire medal parts with an oily rag I keep just for this. While there decided to clean up something and put stuff away as it was still raining with no quit in sight.
Whoa hoo, I discover a new unopened box of 500 22LR shells 36gr. hollow points just the ticket for squirrels. Since it was raining and cold I didn’t go get the camera for pictures.

:D    Al

• hamman, Cvans, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,492 Thanks
  • 6,369 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 07:48 AM

You must be Hillbilly!  Squirrels have much meat? Taste like chicken? ha!  I have had some, but long ago at home yet. My Mom would have a hunter freind sometimes get squirrel or pheasant and drop off to here if he got a good bag for the day. She was an old-timer and had cooked many animals over the years.  Most people now days wouldn't even try such wild things anymore. AND, you must be good shot! I would have missed most of those if not all if it was me shooting.

• hamman said thank you

#3 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,230 Thanks
  • 7,462 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 08:53 AM

Got any recipes?

I'm not finding Mr. Squawks. Is that the one where they split the skin at the middle of the back and pull it off both ways?

Edited by LilysDad, October 06, 2014 - 08:59 AM.

• hamman said thank you

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Neat story Alley. Reminds me of when I was kid. (ya I was that young once upon a time) A friend and mys elf set out behind the house to get a few squirrels. Raining and windy but we didn't care. After about 3 hours and soaking wet we got back to the house with 6 squirrels. Now my uncle was a trapper in the late 30s through the late 50s, and he had shown me how he skinned his catches. We came home and skinned them on the picnic table in the rain. Not as good as my uncle or dad could do but they weren't there and we did our best. Took them into my mom and she finished them and started a pot of squirrel and biscuits. Good memories and good times. Thanks for sharing the stories.                                                                                          Roger.

• Alc, GTTinkerer, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 04:18 AM

Real hard to miss a squirrel sitting on a tree branch with a 20ga. shot gun or sitting on a stump. Not Hill Billy, old northern Michigan stump jumper is what I am.  Grew up hunting game to help put meat on the table that wasn't beef, pork or chicken. 

Squacks link.

here are a few tips that may help you.

1. pull the tail along the back towards the head. just before the point where the tail joins the body there may be a part in the hair. this is the place to make the first cut. you cut straight down through the tailbone towards the back. some folks leave 1/4" or so of the bone on the body when finished. this won't hurt anything. avoid cutting below the tailbone. when you get this part right, you should never be cutting into meat at all.

2. after the tail bone is severed, you want to skin a flap of skin big enough to get the edge of your foot onto solidly. that's what this is all about. it's the flap of skin you stand on and not the tail. the tail is weak and will break. when you skin this flap back with your knife, as you get further back and wider, start to angle the cuts on both side toward the underbelly. i skin to about where the back legs join the body. at that point i will have the cuts angled toward the underbelly. on fox squirrels, i may make a longer flap for more surface contact. their hide is considerably tougher than the grays.

3. when you step down on the flap of skin, use the edge of your shoe and get it as close to the meat as possible. it helps to do the skinning on a flat hard surface. this is to keep the skin from slipping out from under your foot.

4. if the skin starts slipping from under your foot as you are skinning, it is best to stop and reposition it. breaking the tail makes it more difficult to get your foot into the correct postion. i have broken tails and still manage to skin them this way but it is a little more difficult.

5. if you get a big fox squirrel and the skin does not want to seperate at the belly on its own, you may have to use your knife to seperate it. this is not usual but with the tougher fox squirrels, it does happen.

6. i skin the squirrel all the way to where its head and front legs are showing and then stop. i wipe the hair on my right hand onto my britches(this keeps most of it off the squirrel) and grab the varmint with that hand around the skinned out ribs. do not take the pressure off the tail! now wipe the hair off your left hand onto your britches for the same reason. the hide is very tender on the belly. you can push your finger under it there and pinch it between them and your thumb. then with a quick jerk rearward the skin will come right off. see video. wipe off any hair on your left hand. with that hand, pull the front legs out of the skin.

7. you can now do one of two things. you can either grab the body with both hands and pull the head loose or you can just cut the head off while still attached to the skin. i usually just pull the head out of the skin. i normally never touch a knife once i have made the first cut through the tailbone. see video!

I also like pruning shears to remove the feet. easier than trying to find the joint and dulling the knife.

So many recipes on the net. Just do a search for squirrel recipes. Like to wrap them in bacon and bake them. Also gumbo, stew and dumplings with.

:D   Al

• LilysDad said thank you