Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Cub 3206 These Tractors Are Underrated With Pictures.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 11:56 PM

I drug this in a couple of weeks ago. I normally stick to vintage tractors for GT's and don't ever give newer MTD built tractors any consideration as a true GT but they have proved me wrong. This Cub 3206 came to me as a non runner. The original owners ( who paid close to $6000 for this tractor in 2002-20003) parked it in a barn because after putting new blades on it,it wouldn't mow for snot.  A buddy got it cheap because it wouldn't even run when he looked at it. I traded a 1 wheel tractor,a set of Power King front hubs,wheels and tires and a winch that I had,had for several years for it. I fixed the fuel shutoff silenoid on the carburetor and it started right up and runs,drives great ! I flipped the new blades over and put them on the deck the right way and it mows great too ! After checking this tractor out and doing a little research I have found that it is like a modern version of MTD's 990 models of the past,a heck of a tractor that is way underrated. This tractor weighs 900 plus pounds without the deck. It has a heavy twin rail c channel frame,cast iron heavy duty front axle,1 inch front spindles,the front wheels have bearings,not bushings,22 HP Kohler Command v twin engine,shaft driven to a cast iron transaxle,etc. The sheetmetal is all metal,no plastic,other than the dash. The deck is shaft driven,so is the snow blower,there is a hydraulic 4 way front blade and a hydraulic tiller for the rear.It comes with a single spool of hydraulics standard but more spools are optional. The tractor has power steering,tilt wheel,cruise control,and diff lock.There is also a optional CAT.0 3 point hitch for it. I am surprised,impressed and happy with this newer GT from MTD.

Attached Thumbnails

• cub 3206.jpg 18.jpg
  • cub 3206.jpg 21.jpg
  • cub 3206.jpg 17.jpg
  • cub 3206.jpg 16.jpg
  • cub 3206.jpg 4.jpg
  • cub 3206.jpg 5.jpg
  • cub 3206.jpg 20.jpg

• Bill56, MH81, Alc and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 05:16 AM

That was a good deal. Incredible that someone would spend $6000 for a mower and then park it because of a simple engine fix and backwards blades!
  • rustyoldjunk, Gabriel and aevansgatech have said thanks

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 05:21 AM

It's nice to see you posted this about the Cub :thumbs:   Some member here might have passed up a good deal without looking closer just because it's newer

• rustyoldjunk, Talntedmrgreen, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Nice Cub Cadet! Thanks for sharing about it, and for the pics!

• rustyoldjunk said thank you

#5 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for the kind replies guys. I was surprised by the tractor. It's fairly large too at 49.5 inch wheelbase and fairly wide,but because it looks almost exactly like all the lighter duty 1000 and 2000 series and there is way more of the lighter series out there its easy to overlook the 3000 series or not even realize there was a heavy duty series available.

• Gabriel said thank you

#6 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 01:20 PM

The deck is a nice heavy duty unit too. I have the covers for it.

Attached Thumbnails

• cub 3206.jpg 3.jpg

• Gabriel said thank you

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 02:10 PM

Nice post. There are incredibly capable (much more capable than the old iron we love) machines out there, that users of older equipment overlook. I was in that boat until a year ago, when I came into a Legacy. Your description matches much of what I observed.

I LOVE the old iron...its fun to play and work with, and obviously, collect, but my later model tractors are descendants of the old iron....not cheapened versions of them, and are much more efficient for heavy duty tasks. They are getting to the point in their life cycle where they are priced reasonably now too!

I love that I can move at a steady pace, while sipping my morning coffee, and easily operating a 3pt mower attachment or loader with the other hand and my feet.

#8 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 08:58 PM

I completely agree TMG. Shoot KwikWay even offers a loader for the 3000 series.

#9 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 10:10 PM

I had a chance to look one over. In fact, I think the fella is still trying to sell his 3000, kwikway, 3pt etc. He had all the goodies. Big old 3pt tiller and a few other 'rare' attachments. He had the aux hydro installed as well. Ill peek again for his classified ad...hes moving out west for work.

I was fortunate enough to find all those options for my AGCO 2025 (legacy). Aux hydro is great. The Simplicity machines offered a 540 pto like a true subcompact and so I have outfitted each of mine with that option, and upgraded my 3pt to take small cat1 attachments.

This size machine is superb for loaders, and handles 48" 3pt attachments with ease. And they dont take up much more space than the oldies do!
  • Bill56, rustyoldjunk and Alc have said thanks

#10 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 09:00 AM

This is good info. Being 60 years young now, old school & loving old stuff I've often wondered there's got to be some good new stuff out there somewhere. Having a 990 I like your comparison. I won't mention the name but a friend just bought a new GT. It is nice but after looking at it I wouldn't trade even for one of my old ones. It's good to know that some new stuff still has some quality.

#11 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 11:23 PM

The Series 3000 really is a cut above normal MTD stuff. After a little research I found the around 10 years ago or a little less,before MTD started selling Yamars badged as Cubs for the SCUT market,Mtd was building and selling a Series 5000,such as the 5252,about the size of a Power King or Power Max. It had a CAT.1 three point hitch,540 RPM PTO,and optional front wheel assist. It is amazing what is out there that we don't know about if we go by stereo types and just stick to what we already know about.

• Alc and Gabriel have said thanks

#12 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 10:55 AM

Beware the Cub 5 and 7000 series tractors, they may well be some of the worst SCUTs ever built.

#13 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 496 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 12:11 PM

Beware the Cub 5 and 7000 series tractors, they may well be some of the worst SCUTs ever built.

The 5000 and 6000 series are.  Only some of the 7000 series are junk. Those would be the last of them and they had the body style of the lt/gt tractors. The earlier 7000 I never had a problem with as they were made by Mitsubishi.  I used to sell them at work and the only good part on them was the Kohler Caterpiller or Kawasaki engines. The first one we sold came back after 10 hours use with the front knuckle broken off from poor factory design.  Every single one of them I had to do about a half dozen updates on in the first 2 years they were out.  It was just a filler tractor to keep the dealers quiet till the Cub Yanmar tractors came out.  As for the 3000 series I dont know much about the later ones but when they first came out my dad refused to sell them as they were nothing more than a 2000 series expanded by about 20%.  At the time they didn't even beef the frame up any. And in the first year there was at least 12 service bulitens that came in on the rear axle alone.  But that was the first of them.  I don't know what they might have changed on the last of the series though

• Cat385B said thank you

#14 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

• 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Diesel,they changed. The early ones used aluminum transaxle,they later switched to cast iron. The two biggest issues that I can find about them are with the SCUT series the if you got front wheel assist the front axle was weak. Other then that they were a pretty good tractor. On the 3000 Series people,don't have much common sense and can't read instructions. They slam the diff lock in with tires spinning. It is clearly stated the wheels and tractor MUST be at a stop before engaging diff lock. Cat what is your take on the subject( pertaining to the 3000 series) ?

Edited by rustyoldjunk, October 12, 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#15 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted October 12, 2014 - 09:57 PM

I wouldn't hesitate to grab one if the price was right. Very nimble, they have a very small uncut circle with the big deck, and the two stage blowers for those kick butt. I know some are turned off by the plastic chute they used, but I've never read about a broken one.