• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,015 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hi all, new here but not new to tractors etc, I've wanted a Power King for a few years  but didn't want to pay the asking price on them here in MN. So I got into Sears Suburbans have six of them now but the Power King was always in the back of my mind. Well this summer started looking again I knew a fellow that had one with no engine a 1614 and almost bought it a couple of yrs ago but when I  went to look it over good one of the rear wheels was missing and he couldn't rember where it might be and he was holding out for $500.00 so I placed a wanted ad on CL and a fellow called and said he was thinking of sell his PK a 1618. He told me about it said it had a 3 pt blade duals  a set of chains a 48" deck and a front end loader (right away I figured it was out of my price range) asked him what he wanted for it and he said he'd like $2000.00 we talked and I said it was more than I could spend he said well he'd take $1800..00, we visted some more and I asked if he could e mail me some pictures and he said he'd have his SIL send some. I kind of knew that was a mistake and he sent pics and of course I was hooked, called him and said I got the pics and the tractor looked good to me and offered him $1650.00 he said that he was going to stick to the $1800.00 so it was left at that, next morning he calls and said he would take $1700.00 and I'd have to do the battery (it needed one) sop we made a deal.

I had never heard of the Kohler K361 before and reseached it had some resevations but figure at the worst I'd repower and at best it would run for some time, turns out its a great running engine cylinder head was clean and the hourmeate reads 810 hr. Of course the is always lots of little things that a new owner wants a does and I've been doing them.

20140825_120606.jpg HPIM1611.JPG 100_0364.JPG

GB in MN

• Gtractor, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2 BowDown ONLINE  

BowDown
  • Member No: 10128
  • 198 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 10:43 AM

My god dude. That's a sick machine. Great deal too!

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Welcome to GTT. Check out our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. I think there is a manual for that engine. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 11:13 AM

Welcome to GTTalk! Your tractor has some differences I havent noticed before . Looks like a drop down leg for the loader ,mine has the quick couplings but not that and looks like the 3pt is raised differently then mine or others I've seen .
Al

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 11:27 AM

I like it too! That's a really nice setup. A PK with a loader for that much money sounds like a great deal to me. Oh, forgot my manners! Welcome to GTTalk! 

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,015 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 11:50 AM

Thanks all, Hi boyscout 862,  I have just about all the manuals I can find but will check out this site, the tractor is a 1984 model yr and one manual I have not found is the for the 48" deck I have I can't find any numbers on it yet, it has the newer parallel hitch.  Hi Alc, yep the  loader stand legs look to be handy but I have not tried them yet, the 3 pt on this model has the lift cylinder under the rearend on the left side works good is a lot faster then I'm use to but I'll get it.

My reseach on the K361 came up with that some were good engines and some gave trouble amost right away, so I was very happy to see that the cooling fins the head and upper block were quite clean considering it is 39 yrs old and I'm sure no one else checked and cleaned the head area. The rear tires were another matter they of course had been fill with cloride at one time (I detest that stuff) and the PO had been running them flat for the most part one still had cloride in it the others had leaked and the rims are corrodeded and they all leaked at the bead. Had my brother who is in the tire business install tubes ended up with 3 tires on one of the better looking ones the cloride had gotten to the steel bead wire and they broke so that one is a flower planter now. Have been looking at new tires but yesterday I decided I'm going to use some old 16 in pickup tires and use them as turf tires just got to size them up so the can be used as duals also.

GB in MN

Edited by MNGB, October 05, 2014 - 01:30 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,675 Thanks
  • 7,689 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 12:27 PM

Beautiful machine! Yes, you figured out that over heating is the problem with the engine. As long as you maintain it well, it should give you good service. Welcome and keep us informed!!!

#8 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 01:55 PM

That thing would bring $2500 in this are easy.1980 is the first year for the wide pedals and cylinder mounted underneath.You also have the some rare 4 speed transmission.

• Alc and sacsr have said thanks

#9 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 02:03 PM

What a great deal!!! Welcome to GTtalk.

#10 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,487 Thanks
  • 39,722 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 03:04 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Nice score on that tractor!

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Looks real nice and usable,yessir!  Good you got a better engine in that line. Is it 4spd?  Clutch and flywheel a little diff than earlier models then, and different manuals for parts and repairs. Have never seen "Legs" on loader for parking, cept on Utilities of later years. Wonder if added on??  You do have lower cylinder, much better and out of way that way. Nice rear blade on there in pix if it came with?  You'll be out there pushing snow this winter for sure. Duals might help with traction if bar tires, not so sure on turf kind. Would need chains at least on ONE set for sure. They also make a blade to fit on loader arms in place of bucket, much nicer for snow clearing than the loader bucket is. Bucket collects snow and you have to pause and back-up and aside to dump then which isn't as handy as an angled blade. OR, could take loader off and use a blade instead, not hard to find. You did well, I say!

#12 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,015 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 04:12 PM

Hi, yes it has the 4 speed and I like it easy to shift pretty good speed combo's, I think the loader legs are original don't look added to me, yes the 3 pt rear blade came with the deal. I have 54" snowplow blade that I'm thinking of make mounts to attach to the loader arms which should work good. I'm on the lookout for attacments but there aren't that many here in my area b ut I'm sure some will come up.

GB in MN

#13 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 05:18 PM

They made a snow blade attachment specifically for the loader.You remove the bucket and attach the blade and remove one bucket dump cylinder and attach it to the plow to angle the blade and the other cylinder was attached so that it could not move.

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Here's a thread I started about the snow blade to bucket swap , it's a very handy  option

http://gardentractor...oadersnow-plow/

• Username and MNGB have said thanks

#15 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • 1,015 Thanks
  • 838 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 07:43 PM

Thank you very much Alc, that will make fabricateing the mount sooo much easier, I've looked at the PK manuals about the plow blade but your pictures clear things up. That's one of the to do things, I also just bought a nice dual stage snow blower on an online action got it cheap for a 40" 2 stage $81.00 plus tax and buyers premiiums, not sure where I'll use it but I;ll figure someting out.

GB in MN