Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Garden Tractors For Profit

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill ONLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,643 Thanks
  • 8,523 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 01:01 PM

I tried to buy tractor and then resell them.  Like everyone has said you have to buy or get it as low as you can and then sell high but often by the time you get everything fixed it put's the price to high.

Have you thought about maybe fixing them for folks instead of buying them?  This may sound crazy but you can make some quick cash fixing trimmers.  I would say 90% of the time you just need to replace the fuel lines and filter.  Maybe an hr's worth of work $30 and the cost for the line and filter so about $37 and the customer is happy and you just made $30.  If you do 3 or 4 of them in a day pretty nice.  My problem is I just turn around and buy more tools or a new accessory for the bike. :wallbanging:   So I never seem to have any $$$.

• Bill56, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#17 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,440 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 02:42 PM

Ditto on all of the above, with one change: you can make a fortune on push mowers.  Last summer I spent some time going to the scrapyard & retrieving newer push mowers.  I would clean the ethanol gel out of the carbs & sell them for 5 time what I paid for them.  I could buy & sell about 5-10 a week.  I could have done more, but I also rebuilt my garage roof.  Watch out for broken cables.  They can get pricey, but occasionally you can find what you need 2 feet away on a mower that is to far gone to save.

• Bill56 said thank you

#18 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

• Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 04:19 PM

There is a local guy that has a large yard sign and also puts ads in the paper that he is willing to Pick Up Old Garden Tractors and Lawn Mowers and remove them for FREE.  (Lansing, MI has about 125,00 population).

He said he averages at least eight-per-week; that people are glad to see him take those away, many mowers were in their garages and he usually gets several other pieces of peoples "junk" also (chainsaws, tools, scrap metal).

He easily pays for gas selling the scrap metal, a third of the equipment he can get working within the hour and then sell and he has lists of people like us who want a certain brand or model and will pay for it.  Charlie has a place in the country where he stores stuff, several trailers for hauling them, tries to work only Saturdays on this and plans on opening his own 'Lawn mower parts salvage yard when he retires in a few years.  He always has a few mowers to sell out front of his house too.

He rarely pays for anything (unless he knows he can triple his money) and says he is not loosing or using any of his own money hauling these, and is using the income from selling tractors to pay off the farm land.  And everyone thinks he is just helping them.

I think he has a really smart idea and business going on, everything is Cash.   Glen

• Bill56, Alc, GTTinkerer and 3 others have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,745 Thanks
  • 2,721 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 05:28 AM

I have a friend who does the same thing he is a very talented young man on anything he touches. This guy makes money on what people throw out no matter what it is TV'S computers cars boats you name it.
  • Bill56 and Alc have said thanks

#20 Markski OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62299
  • 21 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 08:52 PM

I always sell at a loss so if your looking for a good deal on a GT you know where you can find me.

Of course you know the old joke. There are many variations of it, but they all end along the lines when one guy says “You lose money on every sale” and the other says “Yes, but I’ll make it up in Volume!”

• Alc said thank you

#21 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 09:26 PM

Thank you for the replies, everyone. Your suggestions and comments are very much appreciated!! If I ever get into buying and selling, it would be on a very small scale. I'm an extremely thrifty, cautious person, so I would never get in over my head.
Actually, I had quite a laugh at myself after making the post. I went to look up the phone number, to call about the David Bradley, and the ad had been pulled! So maybe someone was trying to tell me something!!!

Thanks again, for all the advice!

• Alc and A.C.T. have said thanks

#22 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 02:44 AM

Bill have you thought of Amway...........................LOL!

• Bill56 and HANKG have said thanks

#23 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 04:38 AM

Bill have you thought of Amway...........................LOL!

Actually, I was leaning more towards Tupperware.......LOL!!

Edited by Bill56, October 07, 2014 - 04:39 AM.

• KennyP, A.C.T. and HANKG have said thanks

#24 fishnwiz OFFLINE  

• Member No: 6423
  • 8 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 08:58 PM

I sell thirty plus tractors and about 15 snow blowers along with occasional chainsaw or two a year.. All I can say is I am glad it is a hobby.
It is hard to aquire inventory in my area due to high demand from others doing the same thing. I LOVE the hunt and the challenges of getting them up and running. When it comes time to sell I have to price them reasonable to move them and to compete with other sellers. Yes I could hold out for 50 bucks more but then I would have to keep them for several weeks or sell them in the prime time selling season to maximize my profits....it's just not worth it to me.
The other downside is you will most likely come across a tractor or two that you just can't part with and that is a space killer unless you are lucky to have alot of it to begin with.
Most of my stuff sells in 1-2 days because it is priced right. Yes there are alot of tractors where I make nothing on my per hr labor....I am happy if I can make enough to pay for part of or all of the cost on my next project.
I am happy this obsession of mine is just a hobby...if I had to make a living doing it....it would be too much like work.

Edited by fishnwiz, October 07, 2014 - 09:01 PM.

• Bill56, GTTinkerer, GlenPettit and 1 other said thanks