23 replies to this topic

#1 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 11:04 PM

I've come to realize that, if the next couple of decades go as fast as the last two, there is no way I have enough time to make all my hobby dreams come true. So I have been thinking about trying to turn a profit to support my love for Garden Tractors. Mainly so that I won't be forced to give up the ones I have already collected. Main problem is I have a hard time giving up anything that I buy. So, to try and overcome my addiction, I've been doing some scouting for tractors that seem to be somewhat plentiful in my area. I figured if they are easier to find, then maybe I will be able to part with them easier...hopefully!!
My trial attempt is going to be for a David Bradley two wheeler. They were produced in this area and I see quite a few. Maybe my subject will eventually need to be in a specific forum, but since this is more of a "business thing", for the moment, I posted here first.
My first prospective seller has the tractor, front plow, turning plow, cultivater, disc, and maybe more. I've only looked at pictures, so far, but tin looks to be in excellent shape. Only one side view of the tractor and the attachments were sort of in a pile. Tires appear to be good, but who knows until I see it in person. Their asking price is $300.00 for all.
What do you think???
  • Sawdust and propane1 have said thanks

#2 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 05:07 AM

Previous discussions on this subject have been rather continuous at times but my take on it goes along with the JG Wentworth ads which is something along the line of "Its your money.".  I buy and sell now and then and feel that i am just the middleman who buys a tractor someone no longer wants or needs and sells to someone who does want or needs it instead of allowing our toys to be melted down and shipped to China to .come back as throwaway junk.

Our country is consumer driven after all and our economic system is built on Capitalism which is pretty much buy as low and sell high.

Edited by GTTinkerer, October 05, 2014 - 05:14 AM.

• Bill56, trowel, HANKG and 1 other said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 05:08 AM

If you are going to buy just to sell you need to buy on the cheap!! otherwise there is no money in it, you buy for $300 go get it home and cleaned up $100 then maybe have to out a tube in a tire and a few other thing say and additional $50.  now you are into it for $450 and the tractor is not really worth that!!   Be cautious so you don't lose ally ou money and wind up with a yard full of junk.  I have bought and sold stuff for profit and still try and do so when I can but you have to get stuff on the cheap, say $100 per machine, give yourself some room.  the other thing is that if the db walk behind's were made in your area and are readily avail than they will be worth less there.  Good luck and great idea!!

Pete

• Bill56, Alc, GTTinkerer and 3 others have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,801 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 06:16 AM

I agree with petrj6. For any chance of making money, you should pic up freebies. There are free LTs on CL and Freecycle. I've also gotten some from our transfer station(dump). When a decent running LT only goes for $250, you can't spend much on them. I tried it but wasn't able to make it work. I now have a yard full of tractors. I'm working on them but every other thing gets in the way. Good Luck, Rick

• Bill56, GTTinkerer, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#5 cootertom OFFLINE  

cootertom
  • Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 718 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 06:51 AM

I've bought and sold for years but not G.T.s. I always look and ask myself it I would pay $XXX for the item and then pay 1/2 that price for it. If you pay $300 for it then you have fuel, a little something it has to have then the next thing you know you will have another tractor in your collection. The price will be to high to sell it. I guess I'm saying is never pay over 1/2 of the retail price you will ask.

• Bill56, GTTinkerer, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 07:02 AM

I have a decent DB with the original engine and sickle and can't seem to sell it at $150.
I'm not trying to dissuade , just be cautious
  • Bill56, Alc, GTTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#7 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,718 Thanks
  • 872 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 07:19 AM

i think we have all heard the usual responce from buyers, i can get a new shiny one at home depot for $1000, in a throw away society its hard to sell a quality used machine, i got a beautiful almost mint wheel horse 310-8 for $85, it was sputtering a bit and needed a new fuel filter, po wanted a new and improved one, lucky me and poor him for listening to all the hype

• Bill56, Alc, GTTinkerer and 2 others have said thanks

#8 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,892 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 07:19 AM

I always sell at a loss so if your looking for a good deal on a GT you know where you can find me.
  • Bill56, Alc, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 07:46 AM

I agree with petrj6 about being plentiful in your area. Buy low, sell high & supply the demand is what makes money. If you could possibly buy a few db's get them in good shape & hit the road at a show somewhere to sell. Even this would work against your profit because of fuel, eating out & hotel expense. I think if you had the time restoring for someone else is where the money would be. A lot of people are loving vintage stuff but can't do the restore.

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,740 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 07:48 AM

I've lost money on one, the large Jacobsen front deck mower I had. The others (4 of them) I made a very small profit on them. That is, as long as I figured my labor as worth absolutely nothing. If my labor working on a gt at home is worth what I get paid at work, then I lost about $4,500 on my Homelite T15.

I figure there is three ways to profit off these.

1. Get for free or close to it. Fill up the yard, have spare parts up the wazoo, and sell the mowers in the spring and the snowblowers when the white stuff flies. I think there is room for another 'I want your unused GT for free' ad on the local CL. Maybe. I have room for 35 lt's, but you'd get a different answer if you asked the wife.

2. Find a great deal on a large, popular GT with attachments. Fix it up and try to sell it at the insane prices some ask around here.

http://minneapolis.c...4699310956.html

http://minneapolis.c...4689823270.html

http://minneapolis.c...4698025995.html

http://minneapolis.c...4674064917.html

3. Buy and strip them and sell the parts on Ebay.

• Bill56, Alc and A.C.T. have said thanks

#11 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 07:49 AM

All  I can say is good luck,I have have picked up items just trying to save them from a certain fate {scrape} and they are still kind of hard to get rid of around here for parts or otherwise.Some brands just don't bring much cash unless you find something special or realy nice 

So I guess what I'm saying is if you love doing this to save or keep tractors going and around that's good and go for it if your planing on makeing money not sure how it will workout but good luck

Edited by Littledeere, October 05, 2014 - 07:52 AM.

• Bill56, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#12 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 08:04 AM

Like others have said, unless you get them for free or scrap price there's really no money to be made. Any of the "Deals" that are out there or free tractors quickly disappear as you have to fight off the scrappers as well.

If you buy a machine for $300 then tune it up replacing the worn parts (approx $200) then your already at $500 which in most cases is more than the tractor is worth, then on top of that if you sell a machine to Joe Blow and he does something stupid like forget to add engine oil he will come back demanding his money back saying you sold a 'Defective" machine.

The only real way to make money on these garden tractors is to part them out like so many are doing today. :(

• Bill56, Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 08:56 AM

Also keep in mind that to get actual good prices on CL you have to be on it all the time and have one of the notification apps constantly searching for your tractor brand key words.  There are so many people scanning CL now that good deals are often gone within minutes and always gone within hours.  If you're looking at an ad that's several days old and it hasn't sold yet, then it's NOT at a price point where you're going to be able to sell it higher.  The only exception to this might be if the ad has horrible spelling and none of the usual key words people are looking for:  "Ellis Chamblers tracter - $25"  (yes I've seen that one - posted for a month and not sold)

#14 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 09:22 AM

I agree with other fellows here...If you have been in this hobby very long, you know what tractors and attachments are worth and what they can be bought and sold for.

You won't be able to make a living buying high and selling low!

• Bill56, Alc and GTTinkerer have said thanks

#15 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 10:53 AM

I figure there is three ways to profit off these.

1. Get for free or close to it. Fill up the yard, have spare parts up the wazoo, and sell the mowers in the spring and the snowblowers when the white stuff flies. I think there is room for another 'I want your unused GT for free' ad on the local CL. Maybe. I have room for 35 lt's, but you'd get a different answer if you asked the wife.

2. Find a great deal on a large, popular GT with attachments. Fix it up and try to sell it at the insane prices some ask around here.

3. Buy and strip them and sell the parts on Ebay.

A fourth way may be to sell parts for others to rebuild their tractors. Decals, hard to find hardware, electrical parts, upholstery, etc.

Some of our supporters have taken this route.

• Bill56, Alc and Cat385B have said thanks