• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 07:46 AM

Its very good looking 1959 with fenders. The drives sistem on the ride a matic is based off the ridemaster, but its still a tricky thing to work I yet to get my ride a matic working because the drive is froze up so I am not much help.
Did it roll for you guys? There is a pin like the tube frames have but it under the left side of the rear end.

That is funny that you mention the rolling, it rolled nice and easy for us and it was in neutral when we were trying to get it running and when we were ready to take it for it's first test run it wouldn't go anywhere. I guess from having the other Bolens it made it easier to figure out what it was and I found the pin on the side of the sprocket :D

#32 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 07:49 AM

There is one thing I would like to ask anyone that is familiar with the chain drive on the Ride-O-Matic. How do you go about changing to the different sprockets? Is there a secret to release some slack in the chain to chain to the other sprockets? It is set on the highest speed setting now and it would probably be best if we put it on the middle speed setting.

There is also and adjustment handle right behind the motor. I am not sure what that is to. I didn't crawl around too much since I didn't get a chance to put on shop clothing.

First off the Ride-a-matic is a 1959 Manual Start Model

As to adjusting the sprocket ... I'm not really sure.... I do have parts manuals and owners manuals that I will scan ASAP and post them for you.

Didnt see that wilberj already posted the year LOL :D

#33 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 07:52 AM

Thats an awesome Bolens! :dancingbanana:
  • grand said thank you

#34 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 07:54 AM

I would like to know how the electric start setup is supposed to be on these. There is a hole in the dash with the two mounting screws which lead me to believe it was for a starter button. I don't think it is a big deal to have electric start as I don't think this Bolens will get used as much as the other ones, plus it started on the first or second pull so far and with more fine tuning of the carb I should be able to get it to start on the first pull every time.

#35 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:01 AM

I would like to know how the electric start setup is supposed to be on these. There is a hole in the dash with the two mounting screws which lead me to believe it was for a starter button. I don't think it is a big deal to have electric start as I don't think this Bolens will get used as much as the other ones, plus it started on the first or second pull so far and with more fine tuning of the carb I should be able to get it to start on the first pull every time.

I think I may have a pic of the electric start kit in that big service manual......I'm going to do some searching....

#36 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:04 AM

George, I'd bet these used a starter contactor button instead of a starter solenoid.

#37 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:12 AM

Great score Grand! That's a nice looking machine, especially for it's age! It's awesome that it starts so easily too! BTW, thanks for the pics and the video and also BTW, the compressor tank looks good too George!
  • grand said thank you

#38 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:13 AM

George, I'd bet these used a starter contactor button instead of a starter solenoid.

I believe your right.

#39 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:32 AM

also BTW, the compressor tank looks good too George!

You weren't supposed to see that LOL, waiting till I get the pump mounted to get some pics :D

#40 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:33 AM

That is definitely what the hole cutout and mounting bolt holes resemble. Just like the one on the Bolens 800.

#41 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 08:42 AM

that is a great looking tractor. What a great catch!! Thank you, very much, for sharing the photos and video.

ditto,ditto,ditto.
  • grand said thank you

#42 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 02:41 PM

Yes we were able to get it to roll. The pin on these tractors is actually easier than the other type. You don't have the cotter pin to mess with. George figured out the method to change the chain onto the other sprockets. He adjusted the carb some more today and it sounds great. It is a fun little tractor to drive.

#43 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 04:35 PM

Great looking Bolens. Nice score. Looks in very nice shape.:thumbs:

#44 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 07:21 PM

Here's a manual George Ride-a-matic 230-01 Owners manual and parts list - Manuals - Garden Tractor Talk - Forums

Sorry about the quality.

Its the best I could do with a digital camera :wallbanging:
  • grand said thank you

#45 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 19, 2011 - 09:37 PM

Those pics sure looks alot better then the cl pics that was on the add. It looks in real good shape should be a easy one to restore. I will keep my eyes open and see if i can locate a belt cover.

Sorry that I didn't post this sooner, but after reading your post I went back to the pic on craigslist and opened a new tab with the pictures that George posted and that is probably one of the reasons that this little tractor came to our home.It did look better when I saw it in person. It just looked like a lonely Bolens in need of a loving home. When I first saw it I figured that I just wanted to bring it home even if we never got it running. It didn't look too bad and if all I could ever do was push it around to a spot at the shows I would have been happy doing that.Would have just been happy that we owned the little tractor. Now with George's expertise we have the little rascal running and as I posted before, it is a fun little tractor to drive.