grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Brian (Bolens 1000) I tried to reply with a quote to your post but ended up wiping everything out. These were the numbers that I got from the tags.
Type 230 01 Serial#38934 The tags on the little Kohler said 7hp Model K161 Serial # 399312.

George did take some video and pictures with his phone but isn't sure if they will turn out. I was actually able to drive the little tractor down our driveway and back. Those that follow my posts know that I gotta wait till George posts my pics. If they don't turn out, we will do some more tomorrow.

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:14 PM

Good deal Grand!

#18 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:20 PM

Thats good to hear.Im sure it will be a nice addition the the heard.Did anything come with it.

No unfortunately it was the tractor only. I knew that last night when I talked to the seller. This is the first Ride-O-Matic that I have ever seen for sale in our neck of the woods. I saw a few awhile back on ebay but they were in Wisconsin. It at least gives me a new addition to the Bolens family and it runs and drives thanks to my son.

#19 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Good deal Grand!

Thanks for checking on the old guy Daniel. It was definitely a tractor I wanted and with George's help she is able to run up and down our driveway. Very happy to add it to the herd.

#20 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:27 PM

Grand if Brian doesn't have any books on it i will try to upload them for you.
  • grand said thank you

#21 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:30 PM

The wife and I got home from work and up until we pulled in to the driveway we weren't sure if Dad got it or not. Once we got close to the house I seen the truck backed up to the garage and the garage door open and I knew he got it. It was still in the bed of the pickup and he had the front end jacked up so he could take the right wheel up to get the new tire put on. Once he got back with the tire and got it put back on we unloaded it and started working on it right away.

First I put gas in, (mental note to self, don't put too much gas in on the first try until you are sure there are no leaks :D ), I put a little too much gas in and the carb started leaking pretty good around the bowl. I wrapped the rope around the flywheel and tried a couple times to get it to start and it wouldn't. So we pulled the steering wheel off, and then the hood and grille. This must have been before making a tilt hood was a known good idea. Kind of sucks that you have to remove the steering wheel and associated clips to remove the hood.

Anyway once the hood was off I removed the carb and took it apart. They had some goofy homemade gasket on top of the bowl's o-ring. I pulled the low and high needles out, pulled the float off and removed the needle and seat. Cleaned everything up and adjusted the float to close the needle a little sooner and only used the original o-ring for the bowl gasket. Got it all back together and bolted back on the motor, mounted the gas tank and started to try and get it fired. Within the second pull she showed signs of wanting to start. I adjusted the carb a little and also adjusted the idle speed and before you knew it she was running good.

Got a little more fine tuning to do with the carb tomorrow and we are going to put new fuel line on it.

Here are a couple pics from my cell phone, I will get better ones tomorrow. I will also add the video to the thread here in a little bit if it turned out alright.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20110218_173101.jpg
  • IMG_20110218_173138.jpg

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for checking on the old guy Daniel.

But Grand, you aren't that much older than me! Oh yeah, we're both getting old huh!:bigrofl:

#23 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:35 PM

Looks pretty good there George and it runs.

#24 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:42 PM

George just posted what he did to get the little tractor running in about 500 words. I described it as him doing his magic on the carb. The same results, just fewer words.

Thank God my son is gifted enough to help the old man get his junk running.

#25 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,415 Thanks
  • 2,118 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:43 PM

Those pics sure looks alot better then the cl pics that was on the add. It looks in real good shape should be a easy one to restore. I will keep my eyes open and see if i can locate a belt cover.
  • grand said thank you

#26 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:45 PM

The video was usable, it is uploading as I type this. Once it is published on youtube I will post it.

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:48 PM

There is one thing I would like to ask anyone that is familiar with the chain drive on the Ride-O-Matic. How do you go about changing to the different sprockets? Is there a secret to release some slack in the chain to chain to the other sprockets? It is set on the highest speed setting now and it would probably be best if we put it on the middle speed setting.

There is also and adjustment handle right behind the motor. I am not sure what that is to. I didn't crawl around too much since I didn't get a chance to put on shop clothing.

#28 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Alright as I promised, here is the quick video we took. Will try and take a better one tomorrow with the video camera and not my phone.

#29 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 09:22 PM

That is a great looking tractor. What a great catch!! Thank you, very much, for sharing the photos and video.

#30 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,214 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted February 18, 2011 - 11:21 PM

There is one thing I would like to ask anyone that is familiar with the chain drive on the Ride-O-Matic. How do you go about changing to the different sprockets? Is there a secret to release some slack in the chain to chain to the other sprockets? It is set on the highest speed setting now and it would probably be best if we put it on the middle speed setting.

There is also and adjustment handle right behind the motor. I am not sure what that is to. I didn't crawl around too much since I didn't get a chance to put on shop clothing.

Its very good looking 1959 with fenders. The drives sistem on the ride a matic is based off the ridemaster, but its still a tricky thing to work I yet to get my ride a matic working because the drive is froze up so I am not much help.
Did it roll for you guys? There is a pin like the tube frames have but it under the left side of the rear end.