#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 10:55 AM

I stumbled across this, I guess that big ole thing start life as a tractor or maybe it's always been a half track, super cool. 

And how they start it, open flame burner and then spin motor using steering column.  :D

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lH2BPD2TeEI

• grnspot110, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 4 others have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 11:14 AM

It's a LANZ Bulldog with Ritscher half tracks, original manufactured in Mannheim. It has a 1 cyl glow head (? doesn't know how you call it) engine that will be preheated w/ a torch.

After preheating the engine will be oscillated to start. Until the beginnig 1950's you had to use the steer wheel, later this was forbidden and the engine was started w/ a mounted disc. To start the engine, every LANZ track had a steer wheel, too.

The engine can't get started when turning around, it must be oscillated - so LANZ, or better BOSCH, build special electric starter for the Bulldog (Pendelanlasser).

Aber wir LANZer pendeln den Bulldog an!

edit: the treshing machine is a Stahl LANZ

Edited by jd.rasentrac, October 04, 2014 - 12:57 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, grnspot110 and 9 others have said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 12:55 PM

That is cool!!!  but it looks like it could hurt you very quickly.

• TAHOE said thank you

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,298 Thanks
  • 2,332 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 12:57 PM

I Will Always like the sound of a Big single cylinder engine.Those things have 1 heck of a fast Road gear in them.I'm gona guess 40-45mph.

This little one is really really neat.Love the hand clutch and the really fine details.

• grnspot110 and TAHOE have said thanks

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 01:18 PM

In the States its called a Hot Bulb engine. Sometimes called a heavy oil engine. The heavy oil (whatever you have) is heated and vaporized in the hot bulb (glow head) then pulled into the combustion chamber. Some of the heat from the combustion iis allowed around the bulb to keep it hot. Once running it will be self sustained and the torch can be taken away.

• trowel, jd.rasentrac and TAHOE have said thanks

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 01:35 PM

It's a LANZ Bulldog with Ritscher half tracks, original manufactured in Mannheim. It has a 1 cyl glow head (? doesn't know how you call it) engine that will be preheated w/ a torch.

After preheating the engine will be oscillated to start. Until the beginnig 1950's you had to use the steer wheel, later this was forbidden and the engine was started w/ a mounted disc. To start the engine, every LANZ track had a steer wheel, too.

The engine can't get started when turning around, it must be oscillated - so LANZ, or better BOSCH, build special electric starter for the Bulldog (Pendelanlasser).

Aber wir LANZer pendeln den Bulldog an!

edit: the treshing machine is a Stahl LANZ

I was hoping you would chime in, figured you might know. I have never seen one like that and it's uber cool in my book. 

• jd.rasentrac said thank you

#7 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

• Contributor
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 03:11 PM

I Will Always like the sound of a Big single cylinder engine.Those things have 1 heck of a fast Road gear in them.I'm gona guess 40-45mph.

This little one is really really neat.Love the hand clutch and the really fine details.

the engine is really big 10.1 Liters or 621 cui. Here I'm driving the last LANZ Bulldog, a D4016 w/ 4.2 Liters or 260 cui

http://youtu.be/nZBp...4ofnzITHvMLUzZg

Edited by jd.rasentrac, October 05, 2014 - 07:01 AM.

• EricFromPa and trowel have said thanks

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 05:37 PM

Someone asked that here one time as a trivia question. What tractor uses a steering wheel as a starting device.

Really neat video. Thanks for posting that
  • TAHOE said thank you

#9 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 06:39 PM

These tractors are pretty neat. Not sure what country it's from, but the Ursus tractor starts with a steering wheel too.
  • jd.rasentrac and TAHOE have said thanks

#10 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Someone asked that here one time as a trivia question. What tractor uses a steering wheel as a starting device.

Really neat video. Thanks for posting that

Some of the older John Deere's could use the steering wheel to start them, with an adapter!  

Really like the model video!   :thumbs:   :thumbs:   :thumbs:   ~~  Lowell

Edited by grnspot110, October 04, 2014 - 09:17 PM.

• Bill56 and TAHOE have said thanks

#11 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Those hot bulb Lanz's are cool.  I have always liked the Field Marshall's that start with a shotgun shell like these.

Always thought it would be cool to own one of either type.  Not really to common around these parts.

• Bill56, grnspot110 and TAHOE have said thanks

#12 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 10:16 PM

I knew about the shotgun start, but forgot which tractor it was. Thanks for sharing the video!
  • TAHOE said thank you

#13 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

• Contributor
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 01:22 AM

These tractors are pretty neat. Not sure what country it's from, but the Ursus tractor starts with a steering wheel too.

LANZ was the biggest factory manufacturing agriculture equipment in europe, producing in Mannheim, Germany. Russia (and until ww2 the USSR) was the main customer.

In ww2 90 percent of the factory in Mannheim was destroyed - and the trouble began. The russian and eastern europe market didn't exist any longer and the 1 cyl hot bulb engine, build until 1953, was antiquated.

In 1956 John Deere & Co became the majority shareholder of LANZ and the new german brand name was John Deere LANZ.

LANZ hot bulb engines were licensed and build in Poland, named USUS, in South America, named PAMPA, in France, name Le Percheron and in a LANZ factory in Spain.

Btw: from 1907 up to now we had more then 350 tractor factories here in germany.

Edited by jd.rasentrac, October 05, 2014 - 03:59 AM.

• Bill56, Gtractor, grnspot110 and 4 others have said thanks

#14 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,476 Thanks
  • 3,371 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 08:08 AM

My Uncle Bill farmed about 4000 acres in what is now Chesapeake, VA, on the edge of the Dismal Swamp. He had a tractor that worked that way, it was very old even in the 60's, they would start it using a propane torch, it had a wheel on the side that stayed there and a guard folded down over it after the engine started. All they did with it was pull a utility wagon, in first gear it would move about 1-2 mph and would follow the rows, so they didn't even drive it in the fields, just when they were using it other places. No idea what brand it was.

• TAHOE said thank you

#15 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

• Contributor
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 01:02 PM

My Uncle Bill farmed about 4000 acres in what is now Chesapeake, VA, on the edge of the Dismal Swamp. He had a tractor that worked that way, it was very old even in the 60's, they would start it using a propane torch, it had a wheel on the side that stayed there and a guard folded down over it after the engine started. All they did with it was pull a utility wagon, in first gear it would move about 1-2 mph and would follow the rows, so they didn't even drive it in the fields, just when they were using it other places. No idea what brand it was.

Sounds interesting - do you know the colour of the tractor? Maybe blue or like red lead? And can you tell something about the form of the exhaust? LANZ tractors are are in the USA - if you want to see one, you have to drive to Canada :D

• toppop52 said thank you