Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Eye Trouble

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:24 AM

I hope everything works out and hopefully you won't have to do any of the other procedures for a long time.

• coldone said thank you

#17 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:27 AM

Hope everything works out for you!  I don't wear glasses, although I am supposed to.  The little blur I notice in letters at distance gets a little worse each year.  I know sooner or later it will happen.

• coldone said thank you

#18 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,501 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:49 AM

Glad you posted, I've had some of the same issues. Like you, I've been in glasses/contacts since I was 7, now I'm 45. I wore contacts in high school and up until about 2003. They made safety glasses mandatory at work and no contacts. I worked so much shift work, it was hard to keep switching, the contacts was keeping my vision from changing.

I got my last 2 pair of glasses in March, my work glasses seem to be okay, my personal pair seem to give me your issues, sometimes blurring, hard to focus. They really give me a fit at dusk. I'm wondering if it's just a prescription issue.

Good luck with your new contacts. Hopefully you have really sllooooowwww degeneration and can get 20-30 yrs before any surgery.

• coldone said thank you

#19 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:51 AM

Good luck, I feel your pain.
There are days where one eye or the other are blurry for me. Rarely both... Still avoided glasses so far, but the day is coming..
  • coldone said thank you

#20 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 08:22 AM

I finally had time to do some research on the condition late last night. Mine is not severe at all. The blurring in my right eye is actually slight double vision or ghosting. If I pay attention I can see the ghost of what I am looking at. The its not two separate images, its just like the object is smeared a little. Thats wit or without glasses. The left eye not so much. I can still count the lug nuts on the tractor at 50 yards.

There is a lot of research going into this condition. In Greece, Ireland and Canada there are several different procedures that not only halt the advancement but are correcting the vision also. Not only a boob job for the eye, but making them more awesome too!  None of those are FDA approved here in the states. (Political comments held for now). Lasik is not good for this condition. The condition is a thinning of the cornea. Lasik removes cornea material, which makes it thinner. Actually one of the possible negative side effects of Lasik is to develop this condition.

It also turns out that Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) is very beneficial for the eyes. Small doses (10mG/day) can help several degenerative eye disorders. Too much and it can help cataracts to develop. I plan on starting to take vitamin B supplements.

I would like to believe that mine will be slow progressing. I wont know until we do more test over time. Hopefully in a few more years some of the treatments offered in other countries will be available here and covered under insurance. Also in a few years some of the long term results will be available so we can see how long the treatments last.

Thank you all for the concern and well wishes.

• olcowhand, MH81, HDWildBill and 6 others have said thanks

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,501 Thanks
  • 4,954 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 09:41 AM

My mom has macular degeneration. When we got the chickens a few years ago, she had a fresh egg everyday. Her degeneration stop and her eyes actually improved a little. Eye doctor was kind of shocked. Cholesterol jump a little though  :smilewink:

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:52 PM

Sorry to hear you are having eye issues, but very glad to hear they can be controlled.  Vision loss is a very scary thing, and I'm speaking from personal experience, going through "wet" macular issues nearly 15 years ago that took most of the vision in one eye.  I'm truly glad you will be able to take care of this in a relatively non-invasive way.

• coldone said thank you