coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 08:46 PM

I have worn glasses and contacts since i was 10yo. I am 42 now and the last few years my optometrist just could not get my prescription correct. Everything still has a little blur to it and night time driving could be difficult due to the halos and such around lights. This year I was determined to get my vision prescription to 100% with no blur. I changed over to an Ophthalmologist at an eye clinic.

I had my first visit a little over a month ago. She determined that I needed stronger power (diopters) and that my astigmatism had worsened or the previous optometrist had not gotten it right. She ordered a pair of trial contacts for me. Two weeks later they came in and I couldnt see out of them. I tried for a few days and they still would not clear up and were worse than my old Rx. So she put me back in the chair and we tried again and both the power and astigmatism were a little different. Another pair of trial lenses were ordered. Again I could not see out of them. Tried them for a few days and still no luck.

On the third trip she decided that we needed to do further testing. They "mapped" my cornea. As soon as she saw my map she new we had problems and here suspicion was confirmed. I was diagnosed with Keratoconus. It is a degenerative condition where the collagen (elastic) that makes up my cornea is slowly loosing its elasticity. The cornea can no longer maintain its shape. (mine has a beer belly appearance). I am in the early to moderate stage and we dont know how fast it will progress.

To correct the vision, I will have to wear hybrid sclera contacts. They are about the size of a quarter (US or Canadian :D). They will make my cornea conform back to round (Think Support bra :D). This along with the correct Rx in the lens will get me back to 20/15 to 20/20. The degeneration will continue, the lens only makes the sags go away while you wear them (Haha, saggy cornea)

Currently there is only one way to halt the progression and that is through a painful process called collagen crosslinking. The only option if it gets too bad is a cornea transplant. Hopefully we are talking a decade or two down the road for me.

I just wanted to share this with yall in case someone out there is having the same symptoms as I have and cant see clear anymore. Sometimes it pays to go to an Ophthalmologist (MD) when your regular eye Dr. cant get it right anymore.

On the plus side, my vision care falls under major medical now and so does the new contacts. Yeah Me!

Edited by coldone, October 03, 2014 - 08:49 PM.

• olcowhand, Bill56, Gtractor and 15 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 08:51 PM

Sure hoping the "eye bra" works for you.  Vision problems are scary, and make life a lot tougher, and life's tough enough without additional problems.

• coldone, GTTinkerer, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 08:53 PM

How long do you have to wait before you get the hybrid contacts?

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 08:59 PM

I have had three eye glasses prescriptions over the past year and a half.  Going to Ann Arbor VA hospital on 10/14/14 for a consultation for cataract surgery.  Told it will take four to six 440 mile round trips for each eye.  Sucks to get old-er.

• coldone, Alc, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Is that an " Under Wire Eye Bra " ? Oh bad one Roger.  On a serious side, I sure hope you get this figured out and get back to better eye health. Take  care and do what the Doc says...                                                                                                    Roger.

• coldone said thank you

#6 lyall ONLINE  

lyall

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2180
  • 1,746 Thanks
  • 1,398 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 10:32 PM

I am glad I live in Iowa close to Wolfs eye clinic

I had to have a cataract surgery on my right eye - they check me eye than scheduled surgery than next day checkup and done.

They have people from all over the world come to them

what they can do there is the best you can get - kind of like Mayo Clinic

• coldone, GTTinkerer, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#7 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 10:42 PM

How long do you have to wait before you get the hybrid contacts?

Two weeks. They have to be fitted and made. The clinic has some fitting lenses that are in various powers. They get the ones closes to your Rx then using the lens thingy (Tech term) they figure out what astigmatism Rx you need. When we finished with the fitting I could see 20/15 through the lens thingy. I am looking forward to seeing 20/20 again. Of course over 40yo now so I need readers too.

• GTTinkerer, KennyP, Cat385B and 2 others have said thanks

#8 tater195 ONLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 934 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 11:00 PM

will lasik help?

#9 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 01:29 AM

So what you are saying is you need a boob job on your eyes.
  • coldone, KennyP and HANKG have said thanks

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 01:35 AM

So what you are saying is you need a boob job on your eyes.

Either way, money well spent!  :thumbs:

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 04:44 AM

Good luck with getting to old eyeballs working good again. Glad you found someone that can fix you up.

• coldone said thank you

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 05:51 AM

I hope you get things sorted out and get your 20/20 back. The biggest thing now is to get regular checkups from an ophthalmologist. There are a lot of eye problems on both sides of my family. I remember my great grandmother was blind at the end of her life. My grandmother had the same issues and had reasonable vision up until she passed away. My father has benefitted even more from advances in eye care. Laser treatments and other advanced procedures that weren't even imagined 2 generations ago. The point of all this history is that the pace of these advances is increasing and you should be able to benefit from future improvements in care.  

• coldone, oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#13 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,798 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 05:57 AM

good luck with the eyes! I  too am over 40 and having major changes with my eyes. Is that condition rare ? or common? I use a optamologist but he's getting ready to retire, I've been wondering if he wasn't getting my RX right or I could have a similar issue. readers were added 2 yrs ago. and halfway through the year I can't see out my glasses.Tom

• coldone said thank you

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 06:52 AM

Hope your new contacts work well and and stay that way for a very long time

• coldone said thank you

#15 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:11 AM

Hope you have to best luck with this Eyes are one ofthose things we realy take for granted 

• coldone said thank you