6 replies to this topic

#1 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am into this project and I thought I would start a little entry on it.

I have a Ford LGT 165 Closed Sided Tractor made by Jacobsen.

SAM_3974.JPG

I have discovered two symptoms of problems so far:

White Smoke when running and Hydraulic lift not responsive or very slow and weak.

Actions done so far:

Changed Hydraulic filter and Hydraulic Fluid. No improvement.

Next step will be to check the pressure relief valve. Then if needed take the hydraulic lines, lift cylinder and control valve down and clean and inspect them.

Regarding the white smoke:

I checked valve clearance, and  did a leak down test and had 0 pressure. I disassembled Cylinder Head and found that oil was leaking from the cylinder head but the head gasket was not blown.

2014-10-03 07.58.41.jpg

2014-10-03 10.52.17.jpg

I cleaned everything off, cleaned the threads for the head bolts with a tap, reinstalled cylinder head, head gasket, and re-torqued head bolts to spec.

2014-10-03 11.21.57.jpg

I ran the engine and it started right up with less smoke than before but still some smoke.

Repeated Leakdown Test, and found that I now had only 50% pressure and oil began pushing out of the valve cover area. I think this indicates bad rings, as the air was able to push past the piston rings and pressurizes the crankcase forcing oil up the valve stems and out the breather.

My projected plan of attack is to replace the piston rings and measure all internal components while the engine is apart. Replace anything that is necessary but hopefully just rings are needed.  When I had the head off, the valve face, and seats appeared to be in good condition is were the cylinder walls. Nothing blatantly obvious but the measurements won't lie.

That's where I am now. I am hoping to have this running by time snow starts falling so I can try plowing with it!

How am I doing so far?

Tips, insights, experience, stories welcome!

Edited by FilledTires, October 03, 2014 - 06:15 PM.

• Bill56, boyscout862, Chopperhed and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 06:37 PM

"I disassembled Cylinder Head and found that oil was leaking from the cylinder head but the head gasket was not blown."

Where did the oil come from then? I think your head gasket must have been leaking.
There is no oil in the cylinder head. It has to come from the crankcase. Most likely though the rings.
How was the carbin build up in the cylinder? What did the spark plug look like?

Joe
  • Chopperhed said thank you

#3 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 07:30 PM

"I disassembled Cylinder Head and found that oil was leaking from the cylinder head but the head gasket was not blown."

Where did the oil come from then? I think your head gasket must have been leaking.
There is no oil in the cylinder head. It has to come from the crankcase. Most likely though the rings.
How was the carbin build up in the cylinder? What did the spark plug look like?

Joe

I am thinking the Cylinder wasn't tightened properly by previous owner. When I got the tractor, the first thing I did was change the spark plug and since working on it, it has not been fouled. There was no carbon build up in the cylinder, just at the top of the ridge.

Could the oil come from somewhere else? There was dried up oil all over the cooling fins towards the flywheel side, and the exhaust side. 

There was no damage to the gasket, and when I re-installed, I had a higher pressure reading than before.

Am I missing something?

The rings on visual inspection don't look bad, but it must be leaking through the piston rings, if I am getting air coming out of valve cover during the leak down test, right? Not only was air coming out of breather cover, but oil was being pushed out of it, when I had 100 PSI in the combustion area.

#4 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Here are some pics of the oil on the cooling fins and cylinder head. The head bolts on the front and rear of the head were black from oil.

2014 10 03 10.39.00

2014 10 03 10.47.49

Thoughts?

#5 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 08:04 PM

Maybe the last guy cleaned the carbon off, replaced the head gasket, and didn't torque the head down right?

#6 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • 224 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 08:27 PM

That's what I am thinking. Maybe he didn't have a torque wrench.

I will start the engine rebuild soon and have pics again of my progress!

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Don't forget to retorque the head after getting it up to temperature.

• KennyP, Chopperhed and FilledTires have said thanks