tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 10:06 AM

Now that I have my MF1020, I need to get it fully functioning and serviced.

I have already changed the engine oil and filter and a got a few other things cleaned up.

The tractor had one new front tire and one fairly dry rotted original Firestone, which seemed to have a slow leak. I order a new matching Carlisle tire and got that mounted yesterday. Now I should be good for a few years when I need to spend the big money for rear tires.

I also found that the temperature sensor was removed and a temperature gauge was installed in it's place. The gauge was zip tied to the steering column and flopping around. It was also, not working.There was plenty of room on the dash panel, so I bought a new gauge and cut a hole in the dash for the new gauge.

When I took the dash panel off to cut the hole, I found that the mid PTO switch was re-wired and the replaced wires were snaked through the clutch pedal and linkage. A disaster waiting to happen. So, I spent a bunch of time putting the wires back under the dash and through the fire wall like they were originally.

Then I saw that the lighting switch was easily accessible and I knew that the yellow flashers were not working and the rear work light was not working either, so I decided to trouble shoot the lighting issues while I had easy access.

After tracing the problem with the flasher back to the flasher pod itself, it turns out that one wire was just not plugged in. Simple fix. The rear work light turned out to be a chassis ground issue, but I also found some wires twisted together with a wad of electrical tape around them and a bunch of extra connections that were completely unnecessary. After fixing all those problems with some new wire and a separate ground strap, all my lights work as they should.

At this point in the evening it was getting late and I had not had diner yet. So, I had to call it a night, even though the gauge I was going to install was still sitting in the dash panel on my work bench.

One step forward, ten steps back.

• olcowhand, limebuzz, JD DANNELS and 1 other said thanks

#2 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 02:17 PM

Sounds like your well on the way! 1020 is a nice machine, I was looking for one when I bought my Ford 1500. There are not many MF tractors in this area unless you go 50-70 miles SE but they are high on my list.
I need to get a new flasher switch and fix the flashers and install a rear work light.
Headlights work but moving snow in the dark a rear light would help a lot in the dark of the moon.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 03, 2014 - 02:20 PM.

#3 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 09:48 AM

I finally got my gauges installed and my dash back together. It took, what seemed like, forever to fix all the wiring issues I found. I found undersized wires spliced in, poor connections, wires routed against sharp edges with no loom or protection, corroded battery terminal connectors and anything else you could think of...

Now I can finally move on to some other issues, like the leaking power steering cylinder.

20141009_230208.jpg

Edited by tweidman, October 10, 2014 - 10:27 AM.

• olcowhand and Cat385B have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 09:54 AM

The new gauges look good, and way & beyond better than idiot lights.

• tweidman said thank you

#5 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 10:26 AM

The new gauges look good, and way & beyond better than idiot lights.

Better than an idiot light that doesn't even work. The temp sensor is missing, so the temp light will never come on.

I looked up the part and it's over $100 from agco. How do they come up with these ridiculous prices?

It looks like you can buy these sensors for automotive applications for about $10. I would like to find one that closes at the correct temperature and adapt it to fit. I'm not sure what temperature the stock one would have closed at? Anybody have a guess? Maybe 190?

The low fuel light doesn't work either, I'm not sure how that one even works? Float with a sensor?

#6 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 10:30 PM

The little box that might be MF challenger yellow and agco orange and says agco is where they get the price. Get a part number and use ebay you can get the same thing at 1/3 the price most of thetime

#7 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 08:09 AM

I am continuing to work on some electrical issues, including the amp meter. It seems that nothing is ever easy.

I have also started to re-paint a few things just to freshen it up a little. Last night I got the front rims sanded, primed in rust inhibiting primer, and then primed in gray. I will shoot the MF silver mist on them tonight.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141015_194245.jpg

• olcowhand and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 21, 2014 - 11:51 AM

I was able to get my front rims painted up and re-installed. Now on to the back.

Attached Thumbnails

• Front rim fresh.jpg

• olcowhand, Sawdust and Tim Bergfeld have said thanks

#9 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 22, 2014 - 10:17 AM

I was able to get one of the rear wheels off, sanded, primed and ready for a final coat of Silver Mist.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141021_190217_resized.jpg

• olcowhand and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 08:38 AM

The wheels are done. I was able to get the last wheel off, sand it, prime it with rust inhibitive primer, prime it again with some light colored primer and then get a final coat of silver on both rear wheels.

I find that a nice clean set of wheels can really clean up the look of your tractor.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141022_185923.jpg
  • 20141022_185943.jpg

Edited by tweidman, October 23, 2014 - 08:40 AM.

• olcowhand said thank you

#11 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:05 AM

Friday evening I installed the newly painted wheels. On Sunday I removed all of the 3pt parts, sanded them down, primed and painted them. I also re-sprayed most of the back of the tractor as well.

Now that it is all back together, it doesn't seem like a lot of work, but I can assure you that it was.....

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141026_182740.jpg
  • 20141026_182839.jpg

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:35 AM

I see you're only showing pieces at a time repainted.  I figure you're holding out on a full-on pic of the tractor till you get the whole thing till you've gone over all of her.  I'm sure she's gonna be a looker when done! :thumbs:

• tweidman said thank you

#13 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 27, 2014 - 10:48 AM

I see you're only showing pieces at a time repainted.  I figure you're holding out on a full-on pic of the tractor till you get the whole thing till you've gone over all of her.  I'm sure she's gonna be a looker when done! :thumbs:

The pic of the whole tractor would not be very good right now. I have tools and parts sitting all over it, on the seat, fenders, and the steps. Not to mention my daughters new snow tires sitting in the bucket, waiting to be taken to the tire shop, to be mounted to her winter rims.

#14 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 08:25 AM

Last night I cleaned up the front axles. They had red over spray on them from when the previous owner repainted the loader. I'm not sure why he didn't just remove the loader before he painted? It also had a bunch of spot where the primer was showing through.

I did sort of a quick and dirty fix on them. I just sprayed some degreaser on them, power washed them and then primed the bare spot. Then after that dried, I hit them with some MF gray. It's not my best work, but boy do they look better.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20141028_182309_resized.jpg
  • 20141028_182323_resized.jpg

Edited by tweidman, October 29, 2014 - 08:27 AM.

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,440 Thanks
  • 39,677 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 08:45 AM

Looks good to me. Gotta be better than overspray!