Now that I have my MF1020, I need to get it fully functioning and serviced.
I have already changed the engine oil and filter and a got a few other things cleaned up.
The tractor had one new front tire and one fairly dry rotted original Firestone, which seemed to have a slow leak. I order a new matching Carlisle tire and got that mounted yesterday. Now I should be good for a few years when I need to spend the big money for rear tires.
I also found that the temperature sensor was removed and a temperature gauge was installed in it's place. The gauge was zip tied to the steering column and flopping around. It was also, not working.There was plenty of room on the dash panel, so I bought a new gauge and cut a hole in the dash for the new gauge.
When I took the dash panel off to cut the hole, I found that the mid PTO switch was re-wired and the replaced wires were snaked through the clutch pedal and linkage. A disaster waiting to happen. So, I spent a bunch of time putting the wires back under the dash and through the fire wall like they were originally.
Then I saw that the lighting switch was easily accessible and I knew that the yellow flashers were not working and the rear work light was not working either, so I decided to trouble shoot the lighting issues while I had easy access.
After tracing the problem with the flasher back to the flasher pod itself, it turns out that one wire was just not plugged in. Simple fix. The rear work light turned out to be a chassis ground issue, but I also found some wires twisted together with a wad of electrical tape around them and a bunch of extra connections that were completely unnecessary. After fixing all those problems with some new wire and a separate ground strap, all my lights work as they should.
At this point in the evening it was getting late and I had not had diner yet. So, I had to call it a night, even though the gauge I was going to install was still sitting in the dash panel on my work bench.
One step forward, ten steps back.