• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 09:27 PM

I'm thankful. My FIL in the past few years has had to realize because of his health he can no longer do very much. This week he gave his GT to his son & gave me this never used Sears 10" Mold board plow. I helped my BIL load the tractor & between the two of us one had to hold my FIL up to keep him stable. It was sad but I think by me bragging on his GT helped him a lot. He bought this plow about ten years ago & never used it. He also gave me a snow plow that a friend gave him years ago but never fit his GT. I will post pics of the snow plow later to see if anyone can ID it for me.

Mold board plow 2.jpg Mould board plow1.jpg
  • olcowhand, Bud, limebuzz and 12 others have said thanks

#2 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 10:23 PM

make him proud and put it to good use.
  • olcowhand, Sawdust, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 10:33 PM

Yea..its wants to be used...

• Sawdust said thank you

#4 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 02:26 AM

Sorry to hear of your FIL's poor health. Nice of him to share the plow with you. Congratulations!
  • bread320i, Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 04:24 AM

Glad your FIL passed the plow to you.

My dad was here last week to help load my GT's for a parade, and to be honest, he wasn't much help!

Not much we can do about getting old!

• Sawdust said thank you

#6 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,806 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 04:43 AM

my fil gave me a bit of advise over the weekend I should share here.  we were talking about old age and death and he said "we are in this till the end no matter what "  glad you are able to help him, get that plow on a machine then take him to a plow day.  even if all he does is watch he will enjoy it.

Pete

• Alc, IamSherwood, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 06:59 AM

He gave it to the person who will most apt remember him fondly while it gets used in years to come.
I agree, take him to a plow day to see it in operation. If he can't go, take it and gets lots of pictures for him to see.
  • IamSherwood, TomLGT195 and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,388 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 07:07 AM

Glad you got the plow! You will remember him every time you use it! Spend time with him as you can!

• Sawdust said thank you

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Sorry to hear of the FIL.

I am not sure that is a "sears" model plow, sure looks like a Brinley, maybe sold through Sears? The newer "Sears/Craftsman" plow has a different pivot point for the tip adjustment that the one you pictured.

I'm curious now on what snow plow ya got.

• Sawdust said thank you

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,825 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 07:39 AM

I am not sure that is a "sears" model plow, sure looks like a Brinley, maybe sold through Sears? The newer "Sears/Craftsman" plow has a different pivot point for the tip adjustment that the one you pictured.

Yes, it's made by Brinly, just tagged & painted black for Sears.  It will have a Sears ID tag & number.  

Hate to hear the FIL has to give up things, but even at 55yrs old, I too have already given up things I know I shouldn't do.  Sad, but part of life.  I just hope your FIL still enjoys his days.

• TAHOE and Sawdust have said thanks

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 09:17 AM

Daniel is correct Marty it has a Sears id tag on the inside of the frame & was made by Brinley. He also gave me the parts manual although it's very stained from hanging in the garage all those years. I'm going to take it apart & reverse it so the tag is on the outside.

• TAHOE and Gabriel have said thanks

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts & wishes of good health for my FIL. I have to share this. I have had him over to see my five Gt's as I bought them. He has always had to be competitive. His tractor was a 18HP Sears Craftsman II 6 speed 44" deck. Every time I showed him mine the three same questions had to be asked. How many HP does yours have? Mine has 18. What size deck do you have? Mine is a 44". What size tires you got? Mine are the big ones. Every time my answers were always below his 12Hp, 15HP, & three times 16HP & the only two decks I have are 42"  :wallbanging:  He seen my Bolens H16 for the first time yesterday & did say " Boy that's a big one " but then the same three questions. When he asked me how many HP I wanted to say 20 so bad but didn't. The ole codger is still making me memories.

• olcowhand, limebuzz, MH81 and 2 others have said thanks

#13 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 02:50 PM

I'm thankful. My FIL in the past few years has had to realize because of his health he can no longer do very much. This week he gave his GT to his son & gave me this never used Sears 10" Mold board plow. I helped my BIL load the tractor & between the two of us one had to hold my FIL up to keep him stable. It was sad but I think by me bragging on his GT helped him a lot. He bought this plow about ten years ago & never used it. He also gave me a snow plow that a friend gave him years ago but never fit his GT. I will post pics of the snow plow later to see if anyone can ID it for me.

attachicon.gifMold board plow 2.jpgattachicon.gifMould board plow1.jpg

I know wat you mean. MY dad seems to find some tool or something to send home with me every time I stop to see him.
Feel almost guilty, but I think of him every time I use it. So if it makes him feel better I will take it.
He was in the hospital last week and says he has to slow down. Which at 85 I agree.
But will do what I can to keep him involved in various projects. Had him out this week advising me on a drill press rebuild.
He would die of boredom if he did not have something to piddle around with.
  • limebuzz, KennyP, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks