#1 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:56 PM

I have Kubota GF1800 4x4. Runs and mows greeeaaaat.. Well tonight I decided I would change the oil. Rotella 15w40 (even though it recommends 10w-30). By the book it states it takes 3.2 qts. Well on the bottle of Rotella it has the marks stating what the measurements are. I got the oil level to be between the 1/2 mark and the 1 qt mark. It's reading above the full line. Well this hurt if I put in .10 of a qt of oil to much? I am a true newbie to the diesel world.

Attached Thumbnails

• image(19).jpeg

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 07:48 PM

I have Kubota GF1800 4x4. Runs and mows greeeaaaat.. Well tonight I decided I would change the oil. Rotella 15w40 (even though it recommends 10w-30). By the book it states it takes 3.2 qts. Well on the bottle of Rotella it has the marks stating what the measurements are. I got the oil level to be between the 1/2 mark and the 1 qt mark. It's reading above the full line. Well this hurt if I put in .10 of a qt of oil to much? I am a true newbie to the diesel world.

Does it have an oil pump and filter or is it splash oiled?

If it has a pump and filter, it should be run a bit before the level is checked.

If it is splash oiled, the level should be checked cold.

I can't see  0.10 quarts of oil  being too much on either system.

On a splash oiled system, too much oil can cause hydraulic lock, if the oil gets in the cylinder.

Not sure of the effect on a pressurized system.

Edited by Chopperhed, October 02, 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#3 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,754 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 10:26 PM

I wouldnt think that small of an amount would hurt anything.

#4 1978murray OFFLINE  

1978murray

diesel mechanic

• Member No: 2523
  • 598 Thanks
  • 1,163 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 09:48 AM

no .10 of a quart over full will not hurt a thing.  now a half a quart over and more I would not do.  the biggest problem with over filling the oil haft a quart or more you risk having a run away from the engine running on motor oil.  but u are fine

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Any engine with an oil filter that has been changed along with the oil needs to be started briefly to fill the filter.  Then recheck oil and top off if necessary. You will be fine with just a touch overfilled. Maybe fine if not just a touch low once it primes the oil filter up.  Cheers  Mike

• superaben said thank you