#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 03:39 PM

Has anybody ever used CLR (calcium/lime/rust) remover for removing dull finishes? I have an old twist type garden hose nozzle that was pretty ugly. Not rusted, nor covered in lime or calcium residue. Just brown and ugly. My wife wanted me to clean the shower head since we have hard water, and she thought the head was clogged with calcium build up. So, I got three bottles of CLR and dumped two of them into an empty plastic coffee container and put the shower head and this garden hose nozzle in it and left them soak for about three hours. The shower head turned out nice and clean, and works a whole lot better than it did. At least the streams come straight out at you, instead of two or three shooting to the left, and a couple more shooting to the right or up. Anyway, to my amazement, this garden hose nozzle came out clean. The brown tarnish was removed, and the material seems to be made of copper. I thought I'd go over it with a stainless steel wire brush, and WOW, what a difference. 

I'm at work right now, but when I get home this afternoon, I'll post a picture or two of the final results. Never gave it a thought before, to try using this stuff as a metal cleaner.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, KennyP and 2 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,866 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 03:58 PM

I use it on taps, shower head and coffee pot, but never thought of it for the hose nozzle. Great idea!

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 03:59 PM

I use CLR all the time. Sometime the item needs to soak in it and I have soaked paper towels or rags with it for items that I can't be emersed.

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,561 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 05:41 PM

I don't think I have ever used it. Sure sounds like a useful item to have around.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:22 PM

I use it on anything I want to remove rust but not refinish. I just did the grill for my Bush Hog D4-10 that is staying original.

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:23 PM

Well, the camera battery is dead, so no pictures tonight. However, I tried polishing this nozzle tonight with some of this TEMP that I got from work, and after wiping it off, the nozzle now appears to be made of brass. Maybe I'll just get it all polished before posting pictures of it.

My son's carb on his Massey Ferguson 8H needed a cleaning and a rebuild, so I removed it for him tonight, and after taking it all apart, I decided to put the whole works in my CLR solution, just to see how it does on cleaning aluminum. I'm going to let it sit over night and all day tomorrow, then I'll pull it out and see what it looks like. I'm kind of excited to see how it turns out. 

I use CLR all the time. Sometime the item needs to soak in it and I have soaked paper towels or rags with it for items that I can't be emersed.

Bud, will you share as far as what types of items you have used this stuff on? If it isn't good for certain materials, I'd like a heads up so I don't start ruining parts.

#7 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:37 PM

I have used it on steel, glass, ceramic, brass, chrome, plastic and stainless steel.  I have never seen where it ever damaged anything but I have never used it on a painted surface. I wouldn't use to replace something like sandblasting or a wire wheel, etc. for rust removel.

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:39 PM

CLR is an acid base product...that is why it cleans up calcium deposits (calcium is alkali), and copper.

In art class back in high school, we used an acid to clean copper items then put broken, colored glass on the copper then put it in the kiln to melt the glass.

An acidic product cleans copper very well....so does ketchup,,,but then tomatoes are acidic!

• HANKG said thank you