• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 04:54 AM

Hope you find it's sweet spot and it comes to life for you!

#17 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 01:50 PM

Nice looking Tractor!

You know, thats the first time I have actually seen the deflector guard still intact on one of these 54'' Decks!

Looks like someone added some sort of caster wheel on the side of the deck.

#18 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 04:00 PM

Nice looking Tractor!

You know, thats the first time I have actually seen the deflector guard still intact on one of these 54'' Decks!

Looks like someone added some sort of caster wheel on the side of the deck.

????

#19 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 04:12 PM

????

Attached Thumbnails

• post-62442-0-87932400-1412374799.jpg

• wilberj said thank you

#20 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 04:15 PM

????

Only the newer decks have those I got a half dozen with them. :D

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#21 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 04:42 PM

Only the newer decks have those I got a half dozen with them. :D

Thanks for the info, didnt know there was a switch between early/late models!

So  the early didn't have anything there at all? I think some had a rubber piece or maybe that was just on the Eliminators.

#22 Duey C OFFLINE  

Duey C
  • Member No: 62442
  • 23 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:16 PM

She lives!

Bah, that big bruiser is a he but very sweet to operate and what not. The gender is still out.

Did you know that "The Little Engine That Could" was deemed a she? Well, it did have a kettle above her drivers so every day was different......

My son just fell in love with it when he was up today. "God it's big!" he said then smarted off about putting a 440 Kawasaki or a small V-8 in it for pulling. I suggested the early 60's Ford 221 V-8............... Not gonna happen.

Plugs, points (set the points half correctly you dork!), condenser and a newer Kohler (Command series) fuel line from the pump to the carb.

Pump had been replaced with an electric. Honestly don't know if these older carbs like the lower pressure pumps (.5-3? psi or the normal 3-5 psi electric pumps) like the newer Kohler engines do (Command & Aegis etc).

Pulled the air shields and cleaned the fins and shields up. Screwdriver, air and then the garden hose. I don't know if that poor thing had EVER had it done before! Yuck!

Went at greasing the propeller shafts and front axle and then took after it with the oil can (shown in the pic ;-)) to get at the pivoting and steering parts. Parking brake was STICKY.... Disc brakes even!

Wow! Lift the seat up and off (it's heavy but really easy! No bolts and still an adjustable seat) then it's just 4 bolts to pull the fenders and foot boards off since someone left the nuts OFF the other two studs that act like locating pins (but impossible to get at!) and presto! The hydro and what not is right there! Grease and oil some more. Two broken fan blades for the hydro breeze.....

Need to get the seat and foot boards off again and adjust the hydro (Travel) rod as it wishes to back up slightly when revved up. When the park brake is ON, the hydro is locked out.

Now I have to hide the darn thing from prying eyes along highway 28 (that means YOU Cat man) right by the big lake here.

Oh-oh, the attachments are still at the bottom of the hill! Don't look Cat man! I'll get them up into the trees soon enough then I'll feel safe from the Cat man..... :-) WAIT! Did I mention what you would win if you found the oil can would be a free drink token from Rooney's bar? Think about that one Cat(385B) man! ;-)

Hey guys, it's so hard starting when cold (gotta choke the daylights out of it and crank and crank), do you figure I set the float too low? It was by eye.

Anyone know what the float level should be on the K532? I can't get at a manual for the 582 (23 horse) anymore for a reference.... It's where I used to work.

Maybe some fresh gas will cure that......... Duh!

Still, a valid question. There's fuel available and a good spark. What am I not thinking about? Fresh fuel or something else?

She lives.

I am pleased.

Yet ANOTHER engine/machine around here in the woods that'll need attention.......... Ugh. ;-)

The building to house all of my "treasures" is coming within a couple years! Until then? Mother Nature's Garage.

Thank you gentlemen for being interested in my toys/junk!

Thanks Cat man for putting my original blurb into its own thread. :-)

Ooh! The tiller and the snow thrower are next on my list! Might just try the snow-thrower in a short while!

I got this for the tiller. I can now sit on my skinny aXX and till my gardens. My son says I'll have the whole yard tilled up. He might be correct.

Du

EDIT: Man, you guys are very astute! I surmise that two owners ago, the front caster wheels and little frames on the deck were added. Multi adjustable! The deck perhaps sagged at the front. Perhaps.

Hehehe! I use the Bridgeport mill that drilled the holes in the stalks for the front caster wheels! I work there now....

For a caveat for seeing things so clearly, I should post another pic of this big brute. It got a bit of a clean-up today as well. WAIT. Gotta spray the deck also if I'm gonna post another pic or two.

What you want to see?

I'm tall and this brute is big so I'm bent over or contorted in some fashion while working on it.......

Edited by Duey C, October 04, 2014 - 07:29 PM.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#23 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:39 PM

I couldn't understand how changing spark plugs could get you into a "no go" situation!
Now I here " points". You don't want to say. And, I can understand that!
I doubt that those locator studs on the front of the seat pan ever had nuts.
I can check my parts book though.
You can down load the Kohler manual.

Glad You got it going again!

Joe

#24 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,183 Thanks
  • 5,209 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for the info, didnt know there was a switch between early/late models!

So  the early didn't have anything there at all? I think some had a rubber piece or maybe that was just on the Eliminators.

The early 54'' decks had nothing. 

#25 Duey C OFFLINE  

Duey C
  • 23 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 07:53 PM

I'm a bit "miffed" about the plugs thing myself! It ran and I drove it up the hill to the yard with one crappy plug. That plug needed the old timer's trick of holding the wire away a bit (to make a spark at the top of the plug-(HARD on the coil!) and then the plug will wake up and fire.

Then I realized and remembered that points opening is also a timing issue. With a very close gap, the timing is too far before TDC and I got an uhuh uhuh and a BANG!. It pushed back on itself and then said NO!

I'm sooo darned cheap, I haven't looked for a freebie manual for that 532. Next you'll tell me it's available here or someplace for no monies......

Like a bird, cheap cheap cheep cheep.

I liked your comment Joe!

Edited by Duey C, October 04, 2014 - 07:55 PM.

• Rock farmer said thank you

#26 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 08:15 PM

I'm sooo darned cheap, I haven't looked for a freebie manual for that 532. Next you'll tell me it's available here or someplace for no monies......

Nah, we wouldn't keep that a secret.

http://www.google.co...BjSOM_Mz5HilPXA

#27 Duey C OFFLINE  

Duey C
  • 23 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 08:19 PM

I haven't cut a blade of grass with this big thing yet. It works tho, greased and ready. The blades are sharp!

Maybe some fresh fuel tomorrow and then I test it eh?

Can't find my tape measure nor my 4 foot yardstick (my Grandson's lost those) as I was wanting to see what kind of swath this thing took.

#28 Duey C OFFLINE  

Duey C
  • 23 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Ulp! Thanks Cat man! Downloading now...... :-)

Done! Oof!

Thank you!

Wow.

#29 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 09:05 PM

Can't find my tape measure nor my 4 foot yardstick (my Grandson's lost those)

Ya know, it keeps saying Glenwood; but I'm really wondering if you really aren't Canadian.........

A 4 foot yardstick?

4 foot

yardstick

Pick one or the other, ya can't have both in one box.

#30 Duey C OFFLINE  

Duey C
  • 23 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted October 04, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Yep, I'm Canadian! Hehehehe!

Yes! A four foot "yardstick"! If I could find it, I'd tell about a Ford dealership or some-such nonsense on it.

Smooth Cat man! Very smooth! I'm down there but up so's I don't flood.

In the woods in betwixt the big lake and the little lake.

You know WAY too much about this area.

By the way, the Bolens is under lock and key (in my mind) so's you can't touch it. Oof! I gotta grab that darned key and lock it up in my VERY locked Office. Oh crap! The attachments are still at the bottom of the hill! Crap!

I gotta get this stuff outta site from YOU!

WAIT! You don't like Model T's right? Crap! What am I going to do with that so's you don't see it or start wanting it?

CRAP.