Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Hi Guys! Allis Chalmers 816 Gt Is Running And I Love It!

allis chalmers 816 gt

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 577-Jersey OFFLINE  

577-Jersey
  • Member No: 62429
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 01:16 PM

Just wanted to add I found an AC dealer close buy,,he ordered the seals and bearing/bushing for my axle,,I bought a can of PB Blaster and I keep spraying the rusted area,,will try to work it loose with a 2x4 prying behind the wheel,,I got a few months before the white stuff starts flying..lol

Edited by 577-Jersey, October 03, 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#17 577-Jersey OFFLINE  

577-Jersey
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 03, 2014 - 09:01 PM

Finally got the wheel off the one side using a HF bolt puller,it worked good..there was no way in heaven I would have got that off without it..now I can drop the trans-axle and get the axle housing off and over to my 20 ton press...got the new bearing and seal on order,,found a close by AC/Simplicity dealer,,guy was very cool,,he even printed me out a parts manual for it..she will be pushin lots of snow this Winter for sure!

After the bearing and seal is done I will start working on the plow wear bar,,I have a steel dealer down the road from me,,might see if he has a nice4"x42" piece of 5\16"bar stock or so and drill it out then mount :)

I will post a pic of it when its all done,,maybe a video of me pushing snow..if we get any..lol

Edited by 577-Jersey, October 03, 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#18 577-Jersey OFFLINE  

577-Jersey
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Got both wheels off and the trans-axle out,,looks like the axle on the side of the bad bearing might be bad,,its cut down pretty far,,gonna bring it to the dealer Monday and see what he says,,if he can get an axle that would be cool,,if not Im just going to slap it back together and run it as is..till the wheel falls off..then scrap it..or keep the motor for my walk behind as a spare,,looks like it will bolt right up..

#19 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,668 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 04:42 PM

Check with the sponsors, they might have the axle! What rear end does it have? If a Peerless 2500, there are a bunch of those about!

#20 577-Jersey OFFLINE  

577-Jersey
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 06, 2014 - 06:10 PM

Not sure,,don't think its a peerless,,I brought the axle sleeve to a machine shop,,if he can bore out the sleeve about 1" deeper so I can press the bearing in further,,the bearing will run on the good part of the shaft again,,so I am waiting to see if he can do that,,he said he might be able to pull it off..I will post a pic of the rear..let me try a screen shot..

Here it is,,if anybody has the complete gearbox I will buy it as well..

Thanks!!

Screenshotfrom2014-10-06190720_zps8c8613

• KennyP said thank you

#21 577-Jersey OFFLINE  

577-Jersey
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 09:47 AM

Well got the shaft housing back from the machine shop,,he followed the bore down another inch,,I got home pressed the new bearing in,installed new seal,,put it all back together and its tight and works great...so now onto the next project,,getting the plow blade wear bar drilled out and mounted..I put a 75lbs steel plate on the back above the hitch hole..welded a couple tabs and used a bolt in the hole to hold the plate,,should be perfect,,might not even need wheel weights.

All worked out great,,the axle for this machine is no longer available,,but they made K's of 1" axle machines so maybe there is a crossover..I had no time for that..lol

Thanks for all the help guys,,maybe I will post a vid of it pushing snow!!

Tom

Edited by 577-Jersey, October 11, 2014 - 09:50 AM.