Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Hi Guys! Allis Chalmers 816 Gt Is Running And I Love It!

allis chalmers 816 gt

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 577-Jersey OFFLINE  

577-Jersey
  • Member No: 62429
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 07:54 PM

Hi guys!

I'm Tom from NJ,,just picked up a sweet AC 816GT from a buddy for free,,its in pretty good shape.I have the plow 42" and matching mower deck.It has the 16HP Briggs.

The tank was half full of water,and the carb,fuel pump,and float bowl looked like it was packed full of tapioca pudding..lol

I got a carb kit for it and installed after cleaning up everything it runs like a banshee..only problem I have is the wheels are rust welded to the axles.What would be the easiest way to remove them? I have been spraying PB Blaster on them for a few days,,tried some heat last night and they didn't budge,,maybe a bolt puller from HF?

Also would like to relocate the breather,,I always thought it was such a stupid idea running the crank case breather into the air cleaner,,thats plain ole stupid,,what where they thinking..lol

What would be a good fuel stabilizer to prevent the future varnilizing of the fuel in the carb also Lucas?

Any ideas on relocating breather and getting these wheels off would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance and glad to be a part of such a nice forum!!

Tom NJ. :)

• A.C.T. and HANKG have said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Welcome, Tom!  Glad you joined and paid such a nice price on an Allis. :smilewink:  That was my kind of price right there.

As far as relocating the breather goes, why does it need to be changed?  The reason it is hooked into the air cleaner is so that any dirt or foreign substance is not sucked into the breather chamber and either clogging it up or (worse case) getting into the crankcase. 

I use Sta-Bil in my fuel if I have to leave my equipment sitting, otherwise I put in ethanol free fuel. 

Ben W.

• A.C.T., Bill 76 and Gabriel have said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Good deal on the A/C. I use SeaFoam Fuel Treatment and have had really good luck with it, not had to work on any Carbs. since I started using it in everything. 6 Months I found a local L & G dealer who is now carrying and selling non ethanol gasoline and I am only using it now in all my small engines.

• Alc, KC9KAS and A.C.T. have said thanks

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 11:01 PM

Had rusted wheels on my truck. Loosened the lugs and drove down the driveway. Came off easy then.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#5 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 04:22 AM

:welcometogttalk:

Are you trying to remove the wheel from the hub, or the hub from the axle?

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:10 AM

Also would like to relocate the breather,,I always thought it was such a stupid idea running the crank case breather into the air cleaner,,thats plain ole stupid,,what where they thinking..lol

If you have blowby in a worn engien then the pressure builds up and forces gases out the breather. I thnk that by putting the outlet of the tube in the air breather the idea is to pull those gases into the carb and burn them. This reduces emissions. i'm not sure but it may have been a regulatory requirement for the tube to vent into the breather.  A properly functioning breather with a good check valve won't pull anything into the crankcase but will vent pressure.

Heres a video with a good explanation of what the breather does.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=aO3SlT1PeC0

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 577-Jersey have said thanks

#7 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,867 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:51 AM

Welcome to the forum, all we need is a few more jersey guy's and we can have our own tractor shows the guy's like pic's

#8 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 07:46 AM

Welcome to GTTalk.

...all we need is a few more jersey guy's and we can have our own tractor shows ...

You might be on to something there.  I'm picturing a GT show on the beach or on a boardwalk.  I'd probably have to make the trip over for something like that. :thumbs:

• HANKG said thank you

#9 577-Jersey OFFLINE  

577-Jersey
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 08:26 AM

:welcometogttalk:

Are you trying to remove the wheel from the hub, or the hub from the axle?

Well my wheel and hub are all the same,,I dont have lug nuts on this machine,,pretty sure its just a glorified LT.There are snap rings holding on the wheel to the axle,,those come off but the wheel wont..I got my tire off the wheel while it was still on the machine,,I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to break the bead but It worked out,,now I can clean the wheels up and paint.

#10 577-Jersey OFFLINE  

577-Jersey
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 08:33 AM

Welcome, Tom!  Glad you joined and paid such a nice price on an Allis. :smilewink:  That was my kind of price right there.

As far as relocating the breather goes, why does it need to be changed?  The reason it is hooked into the air cleaner is so that any dirt or foreign substance is not sucked into the breather chamber and either clogging it up or (worse case) getting into the crankcase. 

I use Sta-Bil in my fuel if I have to leave my equipment sitting, otherwise I put in ethanol free fuel. 

Ben W.

Hi Ben,,

First of all wanted to thank all you guys for the warm welcome...

Well looks like my motor may be a bit worn,,even though it doesn't smoke..reason I wanted to relocate the breather is cause it is making a bit of a mess up around the air filter,carb,breather location(maybe the hose it cracked or not fitting tightly enough),,not so much in the air filter but outside around the housing I see where oil has stuck to the engine and collected dirt over the years.Also while the motor(Im sorry Im a bit redneck so I call them motors,I know its not electric LOL)was running with no air cleaner I could feel the breather really blowing alot of air out.Was going to run a line under the front of the tractor and put a small fuel filter on it to keep out debris.I saw an older Kohler on a JD that was this way.I had the motor running for quite sometime yesterday and did not see any oil leaking or smoke.I will check inside the filter housing and see if any oil is building up.Have an older Kawasaki FC420V that blows quite a bit of oil through the breather,,I collect it in a small bottle and dump it back into the motor every other lawn I do..been that way for years..lol

As for emissions,,this motor will burn your eyes and run you out of the shop in a few minutes with or without the breather hooked to the air filter..Its a good old one :)

Thanks again for all the great Ideas on fuel stability..will see if I can get some pics up soon..

Tom NJ. :)

Edited by 577-Jersey, October 02, 2014 - 08:49 AM.

• superaben said thank you

#11 577-Jersey OFFLINE  

577-Jersey
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 09:14 AM

DSCF1857_zps5c130ce4.jpgDSCF1856_zpse76b2589.jpgDSCF1859_zps3d81a60d.jpgDSCF1858_zps7c3fc268.jpgHere are some pics,,

You can see how my wheels are rusted onto the axle in the one,,not really a big deal since the wheel is in pretty good shape and I got the tire off with a little monkeying around..well actually it was alot of monkeying around..lol

Edited by 577-Jersey, October 02, 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#12 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 09:21 AM

WELCOME to GTTalk!

• 577-Jersey said thank you

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 10:19 AM

Welcome aboard.  We had a thread a while back about getting rusted wheels off, I don't rememeber what the out come was but one thing was brought out was using heat with tires mounted on the wheel and the danger that causes.  Since you have the tire off I would keep trying to use heat and penetrating oil, may even want to try a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone as the penetrating oil.

Sounds like you got a sweet deal hope you enjoy it.

#14 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 11:08 AM

If you are getting oil out the breather tube your engine may need to be decarboned. You can do that using Seafoam but to get a visual on it you should pick up a head gasket, pull the head and remove all the carbon from the deck, piston, head etc. I had blowby and oil in the breather of a K321 and after cleaning up the carbon it was fine.

#15 577-Jersey OFFLINE  

577-Jersey
  • 4 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Im gonna get some Seafoam and try that,,cant hurt!

Thanks!!

I also found a little leak from the axle when I had the tractor tilted to one side,,when it was level it did not leak any gear lube,,not sure if this is normal or a bad axle seal?