• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 04:37 PM

I strongly suggest the use of beet juice(rimguard). It is about 11lbs/gal as opposed to about 8 for water. Will not freeze or rust the rims. I just had mine done and cost me about 90 bucks material and installation of 11 gal.

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Incidentally if you should decide to go with Rim Guard be sure to check their web site or call them. A year ago when I was checking them out the nearest dealer was about 80 miles away. Now it is available at the Co-op that delivers my LP about 14 miles.
I decided I did not need it in my 9.5X24 tires on my Ford 1500.
Also Rim Guard will eat the glue that holds rubber valve stems, so you will need to change to all metal valve stems. I was told that when I called Rim Guard to see if there was a dealer close. I think in the long run metal is better so do not see that as a hardship.

Many farmers still use calcium chloride and say the cost of replacing rims every 20yrs is just part of doing business. I have to admit I passed on buying a Ford 1710 with newly overhauled engine because all 4 wheels were rotted out due to calcium chloride and new wheels added to the purchase price was too much.

Edited by JD DANNELS, October 01, 2014 - 04:55 PM.

• propane1 and Tim Bergfeld have said thanks

#18 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 07:19 PM

They make containment tubes for it but like JD said everything's going to add to the cost I see why farmers use it it is cheap and they have several to fill. But I like both beet juice and RV antifreeze

Tim

#19 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 07:45 PM

I say keep an eye out for some wheel weights. until then do What I used to just hook up a weight box on the back and throw everything along with the kitchen sink in it. That's what I love about my 4041 1300 pounds and I just hook up that 300+ pound tiller and with the limited slip diff I should be good to go. Bring on the white death lol

Tim

#20 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Regarding nitrogen-filled tires:   

How do they get the air out of the tire before putting the nitrogen in ???  :smilewink:

There may be places where nitrogen is necessary, such as aircraft tires, or some types of racing tires.

However, I'll continue to fill my tires with the air (containing 78% nitrogen) which I breathe.   :thumbs:

#21 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 08:33 PM

What would Will do if he had nitro filled tires? He'd have to suit up to accomplish this:

post-2066-0-95315300-1385471063.jpg

18zc9onitv1z1jpg.jpg

Looks just like him, though. At least proportionately.

#22 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 09:14 PM

1). They don't pull the air out of the tires to install the nitrogen. Bleed the pressure off and fill with nitrogen. You can do it at home with a tank of nitrogen from your welding shop. It's under extreme pressure and as it expands it turns back to gas. Keep in mind good old compressed air has worked well since pneumatic tires were created over 100 years ago.

2). Depending on how cold it gets in your place I would use either cheap blue windshield washer fluid or RV antifreeze in your tires.

#23 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 09:39 PM

Not going to way in on the ballast question, but the only equipment I have that gets 10w-30 is the snow blowers, everything else gets detergent 30w.

#24 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 06:01 AM

Oh and before I forget lol. Liquid nitrogen as opposed to oxygen in your tractor tires would make them shatter and n2 versus O2 well yes n2 molecules are larger than O2 by one trillionth of a meter that is 1 m / 1,000,000,000,000 and the weight they tell you it will save you on your average car tire is about 1 gram so it is all just a sales pitch to get you to buy an add on so there you have it the rest of the story lol.

Tim

Liquid nitrogen in tire is not going to happen. N2 is a liquid at -196C. As you fill the tire with LN2 it will freezer the tire and as it boils off the pressure will build until the tire ruptures. (think pressure cooker with no vent). Not to mention the loss of a few fingers to instant frostbite. 

No PhD, but i can get nerdy at times. :D

• propane1 said thank you

#25 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 07:07 AM

Liquid nitrogen in tire is not going to happen. N2 is a liquid at -196C. As you fill the tire with LN2 it will freezer the tire and as it boils off the pressure will build until the tire ruptures. (think pressure cooker with no vent). Not to mention the loss of a few fingers to instant frostbite.

No PhD, but i can get nerdy at times. :D

Best part about being nerdy is no PhD required

Tim
  • coldone said thank you

#26 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 08:02 AM

I'm pretty sure if you put liquid nitrogen in a tire the rubber will become very brittle and when the temp rises to -65 degrees it will shatter.

OK LD.. 

Don't you mean when it expands & cools to -65*?  It would be cool to watch if it was someone else's tires..   :urock:

BTW the air we breathe is ~88% nitrogen unless it was 10 cent burrito night the night before..   :oh_shucks:   

We used calcium chloride until we had to replace a few rims..  Got old quick..  

#27 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 10:19 AM

What would Will do if he had nitro filled tires? He'd have to suit up to accomplish this:

post-2066-0-95315300-1385471063.jpg

How big do muskrats get in Minnisota???

#28 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 10:25 AM

OK LD.. 

Don't you mean when it expands & cools to -65*?

(tsk!) Do I have to esplain everthin' Lucy? If your in Illinois the temp. goes down to -65. If your in Canada, it goes up!!!

• WNYTractorTinkerer and aevansgatech have said thanks

#29 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 05:24 PM

(tsk!) Do I have to esplain everthin' Lucy? If your in Illinois the temp. goes down to -65. If your in Canada, it goes up!!!

Friggen Metric system!

• LilysDad said thank you

#30 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 08:02 PM

OK LD.. 

Don't you mean when it expands & cools to -65*?  It would be cool to watch if it was someone else's tires..   :urock:

BTW the air we breathe is ~88% nitrogen unless it was 10 cent burrito night the night before..   :oh_shucks:   

We used calcium chloride until we had to replace a few rims..  Got old quick..  

Has the nitrogen content of air changed since I went to school ???

78.08% is the percentage of the atmosphere usually attributed to nitrogen. 

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: winter, oil, detergent, nitrogen