Ac 416H Stalls Frequently When Hot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 the_nite_owl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62321
  • 6 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:12 PM

My 416H stalls every 30 to 60 seconds when the engine is hot.  When first started she runs great for 10-15 minutes but when hot the stalling begins.  The tractor will start again easily but will stall again very quickly even if not in motion.

At first I thought the float might be sticking but it does not seem to be.  Once the engine begins to die no quick adjustment to choke or throttle will have any effect keeping it running.  It almost seems like the engine is losing all power to keep it running.

Thoughts?  I really want to get this tractor setup to plow the drive this winter but have to get this resolved.

#2 petrj6 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,700 Thanks
  • 2,158 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Is it stalling or locking up?  Will it stay running if you run the rpm up a bit?  If your idle is set to low that could be the cause of it. 

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,051 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:38 PM

The only engine I've ever really struggled with, was the K341 in an Allis 716.  It would do as you describe unless I propped the hood a bit to allow better airflow.  I have heard of others that do this, but it doesn't seem like a real common issue.  I had no cooling issues that I could find, other than it needed to evacuate a bit more hot air.  It ran great, otherwise.  I had no air to fuel mixture issues, and didn't have the problem in the winter.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 05:18 AM

Maybe Vapour lock? Is the fuel line routed in a way that it gets really hot, maybe from radiant heat from the exhaust.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,587 Thanks
  • 38,983 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 05:22 AM

What about the coil giving up when hot? Have you pulled the tins and made sure the cooling fins are clear?

#6 mrmd OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62285
  • 206 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 06:21 AM

Might also try changing the condenser. I,'ve had this problem several times myself.

#7 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 12:02 PM

How does it sound when it stalls? Does it die quick? Bog? Pop?

#8 framesteer OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 327 Thanks
  • 161 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 12:10 PM

Followup on vapor lock suggestion:  Is the gas cap venting?  If not, a vacuum develops in the tank and allows only very low fuel flow (or none at all).  The timing of your problems may match this solution - it takes 10-15 minutes to pull the initial vacuum, then some fuel flows to the carb and it starts up again.

#9 the_nite_owl OFFLINE  

• Member No: 62321
  • 6 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 02:26 PM

The engine stalls suddenly.  It's own momentum keeps it turning over briefly but you can hear it has stopped firing and no adjustment to throttle or choke has any effect.

I have not pulled the tins to check on it yet but that is a good idea and should be done and cleaned out even if it is not the cause.

I am leaning toward framesteer's suggestion about pulling vacuum in the fuel tank.  The top of the gas cap apparently fell apart at some point in the past and it looks like they covered it up with some kind of putty so it may not be venting at all.  I will try running the tractor until she begins stalling and then crack the cap open a bit to allow air flow to see if that changes things.  That is a good way to confirm if that is the issue.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

• olcowhand and KennyP have said thanks