johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 10:13 AM

Is this the fancy, lilac scented stuff, or the regular?attachicon.gifimage.jpg

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl: ...............Why yes, it is the lilac scented stuff Alan. I find that the scented kind helps me to stay relaxed when working on the tractors, and the smell absorbs into my clothing so I smell good for my wife when I come in from the garage each night. I also find the scent soothing and helps to keep me focused on the things that I want to get done. Doesn't bother me as much either, should I still have some stuck up underneath my fingernails, as I enjoy the fragrance whenever I need to pick my nose. Can't say that about grease!  :poke:  :smilewink:   Once my wife finds the lilac scented toilet paper, I'll really loose my manhood appeal!   :(

• Reverend Blair, KennyP, Cvans and 1 other said thanks

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted November 14, 2014 - 12:06 PM

:bigrofl:  :bigrofl:  :bigrofl: ...............Why yes, it is the lilac scented stuff Alan. I find that the scented kind helps me to stay relaxed when working on the tractors, and the smell absorbs into my clothing so I smell good for my wife when I come in from the garage each night. I also find the scent soothing and helps to keep me focused on the things that I want to get done. Doesn't bother me as much either, should I still have some stuck up underneath my fingernails, as I enjoy the fragrance whenever I need to pick my nose. Can't say that about grease!  :poke:  :smilewink:   Once my wife finds the lilac scented toilet paper, I'll really loose my manhood appeal!   :(

:bigrofl:
Thanks, I needed that.
:bigrofl:
  • johndeereelfman said thank you

#18 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,777 Thanks
  • 4,299 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 07:04 PM

I used to use grease, but I have switched to using Vaseline. It's clear so the natural shine will still show, won't hurt the ground any, and is rain resistant if the plow sets outside. A tub will last for a good long time.

I even started packing my wheel bearings with Vaseline. You're supposed to use grease for packing, but I got tired of the black or brown grease running down over the painted wheels whenever the temperature was hot, and staining my painted rims. The Vaseline will melt a little when the temperature is hot, but won't run like grease does, and it won't stain. Oh, and I also use it to pack my steering boxes.

Just did a search on vaseline vs. grease....Was trying to find a good reason to bash it, but couldn't!

Most said it was fine for wheel bearings and the like for bicycles and garden tractors, but most agree that vaseline won't take the heat (from friction) on automobile wheel bearing type applications.

• johndeereelfman, Cvans and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#19 JohnMC OFFLINE  

JohnMC
  • Member No: 65310
  • 23 Thanks
  • 39 posts

Posted February 09, 2015 - 05:59 AM

Well I restored a 12inch brinly Plow this fall however I didn't paint the cutting wheel or blade.
So I put Synthetic greese & Clear plastic on all the non painted pieces.

Right now it's under a bit of snow, so hopefully it will still be shiny this spring!?

Edited by JohnMC, February 09, 2015 - 06:00 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#20 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,101 Thanks
  • 3,194 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 05:30 PM

I just put grease on mine, so when the snow melts, if it ever dose, I will see what shape they are in. Noel