Garden Tractor Forums banner

Good Plow Maintenance

5K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  propane1 
#1 ·
I just bought a brinly 10" plow (used)and i read on here that they are not to be stored out side . Like all equipment.My question is, do you treat it with some kind of oil? what kind? how much ? and for how long? Thank you.

#2 ·
I smear the surface of the moldboard, point, and landslide with grease. Thin as possible, then if storing where I might come in contact with it I lay clear kitchen wrap over. It sticks to the grease and keeps it off you. When plow time comes, pull off the wrap & go....she'll be slick as the day you quit plowing.

#3 ·
I smear the surface of the moldboard, point, and landslide with grease. Thin as possible, then if storing where I might come in contact with it I lay clear kitchen wrap over. It sticks to the grease and keeps it off you. When plow time comes, pull off the wrap & go....she'll be slick as the day you quit plowing.
I do the same thing to middle busters and cultivators, too, if I buy one and store it for some time after cleaning it up.

Ben W.

#7 ·
I know we may be in the minority or are just lazy but we just set ours outside and don't do anything with them. Come the following year put it in the ground and after a few passes it is shiny again :D
That works too, but every furrow counts when making perfect furrows. Setting a plow just right, having the right speed to throw and turn the soil, and a shiny-slick moldboard to project the soil in a twisting motion on top of itself.

I'm waiting for plowing competitions to start showing up here in the USA.

#8 ·
Grease will do the job but isn't good for the ground. Wouldn't it be better to use something like fluid film which is lanolin based or maybe a wax based product. We used to make homemade undercoating by melting down wax toilet flange seals and mixing in a bit of paint thinner to keep it thinned until we could apply it. That stuff was a geat undercoating but you needed to keep it away from high heat.

#10 ·
Always use Grease when storing them. My grandfather always did the same.

The tiny amount of grease you put on the plow does not affect your soil.
A small amount yes but It's still a hydrocarbon which will eventually end up in the water table.

Reactions: Little Irish Men
#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
We always greased. It helps keep the moldboard shiny and tends to leach in to the cracks here and there and keeps the rust down there too. As for the grease in the ground, it is insignificant in the grand scheme of the world IMHO. Far, far, far less than what would be created by industry or even leaky vehicles in the junkyard. I would bet that the local recycling area or garbage truck drips more oil/grease/etc in a week than all the plows used on this site combined.

Today, however, I paint. It forces me to clean them a little more and run the air hose into the cracks. Then I use ElCheapo brand spray paint. Even picked up some at an auction once... Whatever it takes to keep me from having to shine them up again, but just one coat.

One added advantage to the paint. You can see pretty well how much of the moldboard you are using.

#13 ·
I used to use grease, but I have switched to using Vaseline. It's clear so the natural shine will still show, won't hurt the ground any, and is rain resistant if the plow sets outside. A tub will last for a good long time.

I even started packing my wheel bearings with Vaseline. You're supposed to use grease for packing, but I got tired of the black or brown grease running down over the painted wheels whenever the temperature was hot, and staining my painted rims. The Vaseline will melt a little when the temperature is hot, but won't run like grease does, and it won't stain. Oh, and I also use it to pack my steering boxes.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I used to use grease, but I have switched to using Vaseline. It's clear so the natural shine will still show, won't hurt the ground any, and is rain resistant if the plow sets outside. A tub will last for a good long time.

I even started packing my wheel bearings with Vaseline. You're supposed to use grease for packing, but I got tired of the black or brown grease running down over the painted wheels whenever the temperature was hot, and staining my painted rims. The Vaseline will melt a little when the temperature is hot, but won't run like grease does, and it won't stain. Oh, and I also use it to pack my steering boxes.
Is this the fancy, lilac scented stuff, or the regular? Purple Violet Rectangle Liquid Service

:poke: just pulling your chain, sounds like a great idea on a unit you're trying to keep nice.
Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

#16 ·
Is this the fancy, lilac scented stuff, or the regular?
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
:bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: ...............Why yes, it is the lilac scented stuff Alan. I find that the scented kind helps me to stay relaxed when working on the tractors, and the smell absorbs into my clothing so I smell good for my wife when I come in from the garage each night. I also find the scent soothing and helps to keep me focused on the things that I want to get done. Doesn't bother me as much either, should I still have some stuck up underneath my fingernails, as I enjoy the fragrance whenever I need to pick my nose. Can't say that about grease! :poke: :smilewink: Once my wife finds the lilac scented toilet paper, I'll really loose my manhood appeal! :(

#17 ·
:bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl: ...............Why yes, it is the lilac scented stuff Alan. I find that the scented kind helps me to stay relaxed when working on the tractors, and the smell absorbs into my clothing so I smell good for my wife when I come in from the garage each night. I also find the scent soothing and helps to keep me focused on the things that I want to get done. Doesn't bother me as much either, should I still have some stuck up underneath my fingernails, as I enjoy the fragrance whenever I need to pick my nose. Can't say that about grease! :poke: :smilewink: Once my wife finds the lilac scented toilet paper, I'll really loose my manhood appeal! :(
:Bigrofl:
Thanks, I needed that.
:Bigrofl:

#18 ·

Just did a search on vaseline vs. grease....Was trying to find a good reason to bash it, but couldn't!

Most said it was fine for wheel bearings and the like for bicycles and garden tractors, but most agree that vaseline won't take the heat (from friction) on automobile wheel bearing type applications.

#20 ·
I just put grease on mine, so when the snow melts, if it ever dose, I will see what shape they are in. Noel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.