Ok thanks cat there is a lot of case and cubs up here
  • Gabriel said thank you

#17 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • Member No: 60783
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Something no one has talked to you about in the thread is you need to make sure you have a good dealer network. Don't buy any tractor if ya have no way to get parts or service if you can't fix it your self. I myself love allis Chalmers and the old b series garden tractor will do it all and they are cheap cheap cheap just make sure you have a simplicity or allis dealer before you do it.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bergfeld, September 30, 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#18 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,153 Thanks
  • 2,233 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:49 PM

You will simply need to pick up something you find, of any brand, that meets your needs, has been well maintained and fits your budget (what is your budget?)

3 point limits you quite a bit.  Most GT sized machines with 3pt are pretty limited in their capabilities, and a 3pt option for a GT can be very pricey.  Loaders can be as well.  When you say older GT, how old?  60's for the vintage appeal?  80's for the functionality and creature comforts?  newer or older?  I have old GT's I love, but if I wanted to do loader and 3pt work, I wouldn't choose any of them.  

• MH81 said thank you

#19 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 7,131 Thanks
  • 3,575 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 09:28 PM

The LGT 165 FORD is gas. Noel.

Lots of good replies, the end result is up to you. I don't know if any one said John deere ?

Edited by propane1, September 30, 2014 - 09:29 PM.

#20 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,649 Thanks
  • 9,352 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 04:24 AM

Ok thanks cat there is a lot of case and cubs up here

If you're just starting out and your budget is limited, that right there should be an important factor. I like using searchtempest.com. It searches Craigslist within a radius of your zip code. Do each brand of GT seperately, and see how many results you get for each.

Around my area, John Deere and Allis/Simplicity are easy to find. Massey is like finding a needle in a haystack. Lot less aggravating trying to find attachments if you pick something plentiful in your area.

No one has mentioned Ariens yet. The S and GT series built from the 70's to the mid 90's all use the same attachments.

#21 Ron Dziedzic OFFLINE  

Ron Dziedzic
  • Member No: 62341
  • 80 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 06:12 AM

I don't really have a set budget but if I had to set one and knowing I want somthing to use at work with some atachments for landscaping and I don't want just a toy I will say $2000 to $3000 at the higher end and as long as I can get parts I always do my own work but I am thinking I am wanting a 70's to 80's heavy working gt no so much of a stylish look from the 60's although I do like them but this time I want a real donkey that I can work like a Clydesdale

#22 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 4,225 Thanks
  • 3,963 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Don't be too worried about brand names, get something a bit bigger than you think you need and buy the best tractor for the money, regardless of brand and age.

#23 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 07:42 AM

I don't really have a set budget but if I had to set one and knowing I want somthing to use at work with some atachments for landscaping and I don't want just a toy I will say $2000 to $3000 at the higher end and as long as I can get parts I always do my own work but I am thinking I am wanting a 70's to 80's heavy working gt no so much of a stylish look from the 60's although I do like them but this time I want a real donkey that I can work like a Clydesdale

You could get a lot of mower for that budget I am going to name off a couple that I think would fit nice

1 wheel horse 520 ton of attachments tiller loader plow bunch of decks 48 to 60 inch depending on your room.

2 Allis Chalmers 720/simplicity 4041 same tractors through sister company's I call mine the big beast loader tillers 60 inch mower attachments are 2000 rpm so more rare 1300 pounds big tractor

3 Allis Chalmers has several great little tractors small deck tiller loaders from b10 to 920 some really cool stuff

Ingersoll 4020 tons of attachments great tractor no loader available power steering option

Massey makes a few models but I have never owned one but I know some have three points and tough as nails tractors

John deere 400 series and good tractors too
Bolens makes some nice stuff as well

Just do some research and see what will work best for you. I thought the ingersoll would be perfect almost bought a 4020 with a 60 deck and tiller until I found out it could not handle a loader then started from scratch and bought the beast. Now mind you I have a 520 h wheel horse a john deere round fender and couple of b10s 455 john deere and I went back and got the ingersoll 4020 to add to the case 446 and the 448 and there are a few others I have out in the barn at my dads don't know which one he uses. The fun for me is fixing them then I am done till he breaks them again. But when I saw that 4041 I knew that was my baby so this one I will be keeping here for me. Just take your time and don't rush your self or you will do what we all have done and you buy it get it home and then find that perfect tractor the next day. Sorry so long winded.

Tim
  • Ron Dziedzic said thank you

#24 Ron Dziedzic OFFLINE  

Ron Dziedzic
  • 80 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 08:31 AM

No don't be sorry Tim that helps a lot you gave some good info being I have a small lawn care company and am looking for somthing to actually make money with and not just as a toy I really want the biggest gt I can get with the most atachments possible this is going to be my landscape unit and needs to be as tough and dependable as possible

#25 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 09:16 AM

Well then I would really think about the simplicity 4041 or 720 allis it was designed to be a compact tractor very heavy duty. Bigger front loader and able to lift mulch small enough not to tear up the yard

Tim

#26 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 09:19 AM

Here is a link to tractor data this has a newer model the 9020 they are beast every thing on them is huge down side is they have an onan engine really high dollar to work on but they run forever

http://www.tractorda...icity-4041.html

Tim

#27 Tim Bergfeld OFFLINE  

Tim Bergfeld
  • 218 Thanks
  • 449 posts

Posted October 02, 2014 - 09:45 AM

If ya do get one stay in touch I have a guy that sells parts for them cheap

Tim

#28 Ron Dziedzic OFFLINE  

Ron Dziedzic
  • 80 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 06:28 AM

So i decided to wate till next year to get my a gt but in the meantime I am going to do some more research in to what I really want. Tim showd some nice tractors that I would have never thought of so no off to tractor school 101 lol I want to know when I bye a tractor that it is the right one for me and my job

#29 Ron Dziedzic OFFLINE  

Ron Dziedzic
  • 80 Thanks
  • 114 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 06:28 AM

Thank you everyone who helped me out

#30 FilledTires OFFLINE  

FilledTires
  • Member No: 48125
  • 225 Thanks
  • 192 posts

Posted October 07, 2014 - 06:38 AM

Whatever you get, be prepared to build, modify, and fix your attachments and tractor! It's hard to find model specific attachments so you it oftentimes is better to buy for example a snow blower when you find one, then modify it to fit your tractor.

I did this with a snowblower, front end loader, and mower deck.

When you buys your GT, buy some tools too! You'll need them!