• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr ONLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 09:51 AM

I think I'm going to tube my front tires on my 1477.. They are   5.70 / 5.00 X 8     I'm not sure what type of tube to get... AND is there a correct angle the  nossle needs to be  to fit the rim.??  on a bolens... is there an angle or strait ....The bead keeps coming loose when sitting for a while flat...   Can I just slip it into the tire with out taking the tire completely off..????

Any help would be app..             sodi

• Coventry Plumber said thank you

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 01:52 PM

I just go to my local supplier and tell them what size tube I need and they get it for me.  Never really worried about the stem and they never have asked.  Yes you can just need to pop both beads and then slip one side off and put your tube in and put the side back on.

• sodisr, fogler12538 and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 06:38 PM

Straight stem is common on most tires, normally the "L" shaped are always used on real small tires.

I can get the tubes if you need them, probably cheaper than TSC.

Your going to have to atleast take one side of the tire off the rim to get the tube on, Soapy water is going to be your best friend.

• HDWildBill, sodisr and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#4 Coventry Plumber OFFLINE  

Coventry Plumber
  • Member No: 60643
  • 1,031 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:02 PM

I will usually take the needle valve out to install the tube into tire then inflate it slowly then let the air right back out a couple times to help the tube straighten out . The I'll put the valve back in for good and inflate . Also the screw on handle or cable that holds the valve stem from pulling in is worth getting.

Tom
  • HDWildBill and sodisr have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 05:33 PM

I think I'm going to tube my front tires on my 1477.. They are   5.70 / 5.00 X 8     I'm not sure what type of tube to get... AND is there a correct angle the  nossle needs to be  to fit the rim.??  on a bolens... is there an angle or strait ....The bead keeps coming loose when sitting for a while flat...   Can I just slip it into the tire with out taking the tire completely off..????

Any help would be app..             sodi

I have ran into the same problem, bead leak, on different tires when they sit for s few months.  Wagon, trailer and mower tiers especially and the older tires are worse.  I solved the problem with SLIME.  I put the wheel on my manual tire changer and bend the bead down till I can see the rim inside the bead.  Don't break it loose from the rim completely.  With the bead away from the rim, squeeze in the slime making sure it get into the crack between the inside of the bead and the rim.  Move around the tire a little and do the same thing.  Continue clear around the tire.  Then do the same to the other side.  Then air the tire up good and solid.  A wagon or trailer tire I go with about 40 pounds.  You can go a few pounds over what the maximum is on the tire.  Have to use your own judgement on that part.  Just don't get carried away or you will have a BIG leak.  Lt the wheel sit overnight.  Then wash it off with a little soap in warm water to remove the slime.  Check the rim with soapy water and you  don't have any leaks your done.  Lot easier than trying to put whole bottle of slime in the tire and then rolling it around to get it up on the rim where it needs to be.  Good luck.

• sodisr said thank you

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted December 06, 2014 - 01:08 PM

2 more rim leaks fixed this morning.  The last tractor I got had rim leaks on the back on both tires, inside and out.  Slime around the bead between the rim and tire fixed both of them.  Will hold as long as their is air in the tire.  Front one is next, then it will move around much easier.