#1 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,731 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 10:24 PM

Well, all of this really happened in two weeks not one, but at this point I don't think it really matters.
It started off with someone in town told me they had a fair amount of scrap metal that they wanted to get rid of and if I wanted to haul it out, I could just have it. So I went out to look at it with him and there was a fair amount of metal there, so I told him I would take it. I thought it would be a easy job since it's only 5 miles away from me, so I hauled my high loader out there and filled up my 22' trailer and then headed home. I unloaded and then went back the next day to get more and half way though loading I noticed the starter on the loader was making a noise :( . So I didn't shut it off until I was done loading everything, two days later I went back to get to bring the loader home and when I hit the starter button the start just spun and did not engage :mad2: . I had the tool box on the pickup so I thought I'd pull the starter off. (Let me make note that this is a home built high loader and I did not build it). I then found out that the gas tank was right in front of the starter, and the gas tank did not look easy to take off. So I grabbed a wrench and spent 30 minutes taking off one starter bolt :wallbanging: . luckily the bottom bolt was simple to get out so I got the starter pulled to find every tooth on the starter was gone.
Luckily the parts house had one in stock and I got it reinstalled the next week :thumbs:.
Meanwhile all of that was going on, I was also hired to move a building, it was 10' by 20' and I had to dig 6 holes 2 concrete blocks deep in the hardest driest ground anyone has ever seen, most of the holes were chipped out with a pick, after working at that all morning I finally got done and then laid the blocks in with concrete. the next day I got the wood planks laid on the concrete blocks and got everything level and squared up. Then we got the building jacked up and pulled onto my trailer with 2 come a longs.
We were able to lift the building off with two big tractors and set it down on the foundation and after a week of work we finally finished!

Edited by MH81, September 30, 2014 - 11:17 AM.

• Gtractor, MH81, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,731 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 10:24 PM

PART 2

While all of that was going we also got one heck of a deal on lots and lots of glass. Someone in a near by town (25 miles away) bought a building that was completely stocked with sheets of glass, these pieces are 1/4" thick and some of the sheets are as big as 6' x 8'. On the first load we got probably well over 60 sheets of glass, we hauled it standing up on wooden racks (came with the glass) because they say that is the best way to haul it. Anyway, we had to drive 25mph on the way home, but we made it with no trouble. We went back for the rest this week and we didn't realize on how thin this next stuff was. Not only was it thin, but the sheets were 6' x 7' and when we went to move them, they would bow and it was the scariest thing I've ever done!. We got about 5 out of 20 of these sheets loaded, when we stood up the next sheet to move it, it shattered in big, long, sharp, pointed pieces. One piece came for me and went through my pant leg and stuck into my shin . Luckily it wasn't to bad of a cut and it didn't hurt at all, but it sure was a bleeder!. Anyway, we got the rest of the glass loaded and then tied it down with ratchet straps with pieces of blanket under the straps to prevent cutting. We took off slow and everything was going fine. We had 3 blocks to go and we were out of town! :thumbs: , I stopped for a stop sing and when I lightly pushed on the brakes, I heard the worse sound ever when hauling a load of glass "CRASH" , yep, you guessed it, the blankets under the straps on the front rack moved their selves and the straps got cut, sending all the glass on the front rack tipping over forward. There was glass all over the trailer and the road, I hurried and turned the corner and got pulled over. I started getting the glass picked up off the trailer, when 1 cop stopped  :(  , then another :mad2: , yet another :wallbanging:  and finally another  :mad2:  :wallbanging:  . SO, there were 4 cops blocking off 20' of street and I knew we were done :worshippy1:.

A cop came over to talk to us, he asked what happened (I thought it was obvious on what happened), my brother told him about the blankets under the straps but somehow the blankets slid down and the straps got cut. The cop said "well you do realize it is glass right?" (again I thought that was obvious that we were hauling glass), then he asked if we built those racks for the glass (I knew were he was going with this) and we told him that the stands came with the glass. He said that there was a street sweeper on it's way and we had to get the glass cleaned off the trailer (I guess he didn't notice that we were already cleaning up the glass).

He then wanted all my info since I was driving, he came back a few minutes later and said that we had to call someone to bring a trash can to put the broken glass in, but we just dumped it all in the back of the pickup because I wasn't going to try and find someone to bring me a trash can. The cop came back over a few minutes later and gave me a $160 ticket for "spilling on road way" and he said we might get a bill from the city for the street sweeper.

I then went to start the pickup and it wouldn't start because the battery was dead :( , we sat there with the hood open and all the cops drove past us and didn't even ask if we needed help (big surprise)
After we sat there for 30 minutes and lots of cars blowing past, we then found my cousins phone number and called him. Luckily he came down and gave us a jump and then we headed home. We didn't get back till 11:00pm and we had to be up early to move that building the next day. We haven't gotten a bill for the street sweeper yet, so maybe we wont get one???

In the same two weeks I bought 3 antique tractors, (2 farmall H's and 1 Massey Harris 22) I got one H and the 22 hauled home but I need to go back this Tuesday to get the other H. right now I have a load of scrap metal on the trailer that needs to be hauled in first thing in the morning, because I need my trailer empty to go get the other H.

I now need to hurry and part out 4 tractors (farmall 460, 2 H's & the M-H 22) to get up some money because I found a very heavy (cheap) 20' goose neck trailer for sale (same guy that I bought the tractors from). So it looks like this up coming week is going to be just as busy.

Although I hope there are less tickets and broken glass in this week coming up!

I hope things calm down soon, I'm starting to get tired of this :smilewink:

At least I now know, when I loose something off the trailer, just keep going! :angel:

Edited by BTS, September 29, 2014 - 11:29 PM.

• Gtractor, sacsr, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 12:03 AM

Sounds like a huge crime scene to have four cop cars there,The donut shop must have been closed.It might not be over yet,Barney might send you a ticket in the mail for not having your load secure.

• BTS said thank you

#4 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 04:55 AM

I have always found the busier I am the more $$$ I have in my pocket.  Hard work pays of in the long run!!  Keep going and it will get better

Pete

• GTTinkerer, BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 05:59 AM

Small town 'police' are usually very bored. Glad you made something for them to earn their wages with.

• BTS said thank you

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,237 Thanks
  • 5,074 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 06:57 AM

Small town 'police' are usually very bored. Glad you made something for them to earn their wages with.

Plus paid some of their wages!  Those guys gotta get paid too :rolling:

In 2004 I was living in Dubois PA working for a strip mine.  We had 12 Triaxle trucks for shipping coal from the pits to our rail load out facility.  A driver was going through the middle of down, picked his jacket up off the center consol, hooked his coat through the tail gate release, and dumped a 6" layer of coal down the road through 3 intersections, and about 8 blocks before someone flagged him to stop. 

He called me, and I drove out to see.  The street was closed, I had to walk nearly a mile to get to where he was.  The town was locked in a gridlock since this was the major street through town.  We had a mess!  Cost us a lot of money.  Had to call in the street department, get loaders delivered to dump it back into the triaxle.  Plus paying for street sweepers and everything else.

Coal sells for 44 dollars a ton to the power plant.  It cost us a lot more than what the load was worth to clean it up.

• BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 07:11 AM

I have found that many of my "heck of a deal"s turn out the way the glass one did for you.  But then hindsight is often better too.

Edited by GTTinkerer, September 30, 2014 - 07:12 AM.

• BTS said thank you

#8 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,731 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:12 AM

Thanks,

this glass still pays off in the long run since it was all free, now I can look at it as, I paid $160 for lol.

The town population is around 20.000, all the cops drive around these big chevy tahoes, when they take off from a intersection they practically spin the wheels and they are always speeding. All of the cops are young and they look for any and everything so I'm just  glad they didn't find anything else while they had us stopped.

The cops shouldn't be board, in the last two weeks there have been 3 or 4 stand offs and they always ended with a cop shooting a guy!.

I'm glad the cops didn't shoot or plant anything on us.

• oldedeeres and Bill 76 have said thanks

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 05:05 PM

Was this in Peabody?

• BTS said thank you

#10 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,731 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:29 PM

Nope it was in Newton.

Why? did you have bad experience in Peabody??? :poke:  :smilewink:

Edited by BTS, September 30, 2014 - 08:30 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 06:24 AM

Nope it was in Newton.

Why? did you have bad experience in Peabody??? :poke:  :smilewink:

No, but I lived in Newton for a # of years! You said small town, just picked Peabody! Now I can see why you had 4 of them there. They think they need backup for everything there!

• BTS said thank you