8 replies to this topic

#1 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 55667
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 06:56 PM

Hi all, im gonna build a custom exhaust for my wheel horse. Im looking to make it quieter and sound a little better if i can. Im running the exhaust from the front of the tractor to the rear, so the whole length about.
Ive got a few questions.
1. I can fit about 2" or 2.5" tubing, is bigger better?
2. Should i straight pipe it? Or is that making it louder than stock? I was thinking of using a hot dog style muffler in the tubing, will that make it quiet?
3. Is it easy to build a muffler? Is it a good idea? Or just go with a hot dog style muffler?
Any advice would be great! Ive done a little research on back pressure and kind of have an understanding of what it does and such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:09 PM

you could use the pipe you need and put 2 mufflers in in one toward the end and on closer to the engine should make it quieter the mufflers when you weld them in cut the bakc off them so the smaller OD dont create heat build up

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:22 PM

Most of your questions are an ongoing search for performance seekers. Have you thought about the 1 1/2" shorty mufflers used on Harleys? The long pipe is cool, but will interfere with most accessories.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#4 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 08:53 PM

you could use the pipe you need and put 2 mufflers in in one toward the end and on closer to the engine should make it quieter the mufflers when you weld them in cut the bakc off them so the smaller OD dont create heat build up

Ok, thanks. Will 2 mufflers create to much back pressure?
Its only one pipe going the length of the tractor, down under the foot board and over the transaxle, are the only 2 bends u need to do. So that wont create that much back pressure.

Most of your questions are an ongoing search for performance seekers. Have you thought about the 1 1/2" shorty mufflers used on Harleys? The long pipe is cool, but will interfere with most accessories.

I will check those out, im pretty sure that the pipe will clear the attachments i use, ive built most of them so i think they will work, but i'll double check.

• superspeedex said thank you

#5 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 04:52 AM

Id build it with just pipe then if its 2 loud put a muffler in it

#6 iZach98 OFFLINE  

iZach98
  • GTt Junior
  • 157 Thanks
  • 155 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Id build it with just pipe then if its 2 loud put a muffler in it

Yeah thats not a bad idea, I've also seen that if you add a washer to the end of the pipe, that will adjust the back pressure to make the engine run correctly. So i'll get a few different size washers also. And a muffler just in case.

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 02:18 PM

Check Nelson Muffler. I use the same muffler as a Ford 8N. I wish it was a couple of inches shorter, though. A IHC Cub muffler works, too.

#8 bryan 110 OFFLINE  

bryan 110
  • Member No: 52864
  • 196 Thanks
  • 250 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Mufflers are beans to make I do it every day. If you want quiet ther should be ceramic insulation. Steel wool would also work but probably not last long. Perforated tube, a can or body and a inlet and outlet the more chambers I guess you could call them the quieter they can be. I would bet you could get a cut out picture on google of a muffler. Bigger outlet would make it louder because the exhaust will bounce off the walls. If I was to make my own I would use the same size tube as stock just to be safe. As far as the bends I was told 2or more

You could also make what we at work call a shotgun muffler (gt sized) round 3 1/2 tube with your exhaust opening size inlet perforated tube in the middle Welded end cap with several perf tubes around the inlet every other one wrapped in insulation for sound deadening and then back to the middle to the outlet perforated on the inside of muffler end caped and welded It would look like.

OO
O O O if no outer end on looking right at it
OO
  • Alc said thank you

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,668 Thanks
  • 7,686 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 09:07 PM

The more bends(changes in direction) the exhaust makes, the quieter it will be. But also the more back pressure it will have.

• Alc said thank you