• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fogler12538 OFFLINE  

fogler12538
  • Member No: 59557
  • 254 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 06:26 PM

Need help. I have this ht20 finally running well. The timing was off by 2 teeth along with many other things. It runs smooth now. The problem now is when I engage the travel pedal it lerches forward and when it goes into reverse it does the same. If you go real slow you can go forward with out lerching but have to come to complete stop and go real slow into reverse so it wont jerk. is there an adjustment that I'm not seeing in the manual? Its  different from my 1886 that is very smooth. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thanks   Jim

#2 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 06:36 PM

Sounds to me(and I am no expert)like air in the system...or the "free"lever /screw(what ever you have to allow it to roll with no Hyro )isn't locked down????

#3 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 06:38 PM

Ohh and dont bank on my advice,you could have a fire or explosion if you do(I think I think more than I know I think..but like to help..and think.)

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the Bolens hydro control linkage but on a JD tractor that sort of symptom is usually due to slack in the linkage or a broken damper shock. The shock slows down the response so you don't get sudden lurches like that. Check the linkage from the pedal to the transmission and look for worn pins or pivots, spots that need lubrication etc. 

• fogler12538 and Auburn David have said thanks

#5 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:33 PM

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the Bolens hydro control linkage but on a JD tractor that sort of symptom is usually due to slack in the linkage or a broken damper shock. The shock slows down the response so you don't get sudden lurches like that. Check the linkage from the pedal to the transmission and look for worn pins or pivots, spots that need lubrication etc. 

Could be that also :thumbs:

#6 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:43 PM

I'd say You should check your bull gear.
Jack up one rear wheel.
And spin tire back and forth.
You should not feel a lot of free travel.
If the wheel spins free for five inches or so, before engaging, You may have a bad bull gear.

Joe
  • fogler12538 said thank you