Usps Flat Rate.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:08 AM

For me this is the best deal in shipping. I order the boxes and they are delivered right to my house by the rural carrier for free. Free tracking and  insurance also is a big plus.

One thing that does create a problem is the size of the boxes and envelopes. I sell bees wax in blocks, I use a meat loaf or bread pan for a mold so most of the blocks are 3 pounds.

100% bees wax,  yellow cosmetic grade capping wax.

100% bees wax recycled comb used for candles and other things except body lotions & balms.  

I've never had a problem with customers paying the charge for a medium box but they always bought 4 blocks to fill the box up.

Recently I have put up for sale some end of the season blocks that weighed from 2.25 pounds to 3 pounds and had several buyers complain about the cost of the shipping for one block of wax.

Yes I can go shopping for a smaller box that fits the wax block better. Must charge for fuel to and from town to find and buy a box. Must charge for the tracking and insurance also and the final charge to make sure of the charge to mail that box to where ever it is to be sent. Most times when I figure in that cost it is about 10 to 15 dollars more.

I can also send by UPS so it would cost about $22.00 for a 2.50 block of wax.

I have also been shipping acorns with the USPS flat rate boxes. I have had many repeat customers for them, who are real happy with the amount of acorns I can stuff in a box.

:D    Al

Edited by alleyyooper, September 29, 2014 - 07:10 AM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 LilysDad ONLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,247 Thanks
  • 7,477 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:26 AM

What do people do with acorns, eat them?

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,201 Thanks
  • 1,442 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:34 AM

Or you could go to the SallyAnne store & find a tin that fits in the flat rate box.

• Auburn David said thank you

#4 Auburn David OFFLINE  

Auburn David
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 61865
  • 2,754 Thanks
  • 1,962 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 08:10 AM

What do people do with acorns, eat them?

Yea..I have BILLIONS of them..LOL

#5 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,052 Thanks
  • 2,166 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 08:32 AM

I love the USPS boxes, and keep plenty on hand, in all sizes.  They really opened up the world to buying and selling wheel and counter weights  :thumbs:

UPS is giving you an awful hard time, if it costs $22 for a 2.5lbs.  I shipped a 38Lb box Friday, almost too large to get my arms around, for $35.  For $40, I can ship a 68lb, 42" long Simplicity grader blade and hitch.  Destination doesn't seem to affect the cost much.  I've found their rates rival USPS for smaller items like lights, cast pulleys, brackets, etc.  

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#6 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 10:02 AM

If you ship a lot you might consider regional flat rate boxes.I think you need an account to use them but they can save you a substantial amount on shipping.They are priority insured with tracking.

• MH81 said thank you

#7 cootertom OFFLINE  

• Member No: 59950
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 717 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hate FedEx and UPS. I always use USPS and never a problem.

• LilysDad said thank you

#8 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 03:56 AM

Most of the guys that request acorns are using them to renew shelter belts. One fellow just wanted them to plant around in his woods as he had none.

:D   Al

• sacsr and LilysDad have said thanks

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,653 Thanks
  • 1,683 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:23 AM

I sell lots of tractor parts and I use tons of those flat rate boxes. 45lb starters fit in them great! we also shipped a 55lb counter weight in one once! :thumbs: I hate fedex, everything bigger goes to UPS, and helps that the local hardware store will ships UPS

Edited by BTS, September 30, 2014 - 08:25 AM.

#10 SupplySergeant ONLINE  

Eggman's Dad

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 45293
  • 1,044 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 10:27 AM

Have you looked at the padded flat rate envelopes? They ship for the same price as a small flat-rate box, but they are 12.5" x 9.5", and flexible. You can usually wrap one around your item, and stuff the whole thing inside one.