• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cumberland OFFLINE  

cumberland
  • Member No: 59791
  • 26 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Got a HOWSE 5' standard duty bush hog thrown on a tractor deal. PO used it at 1000 rpm in heavy brush and apparently hit something. The drive shaft yoke where it attaches to bushog was apart & bent on both sides. Looking under I can see at least one blade bent also. The drive shaft repair in guessing will be $175 and at least one blade $40. The deck & transmission seem ok surprisingly. Undecided to fix, parts or scrap.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411949880.284315.jpg
  • holdenboy1960 said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 07:25 PM

I would hold onto it for a while, you might find the parts you need in a junk pile one day and fix it for little of nothing. That's just what I would do, but it's hard for me to rid of anything.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,060 Thanks
  • 2,175 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 09:08 PM

Is the driveshaft bad or just the yoke? Yokes are cheap...even a half shaft with yoke will have you mowing for $50-60. Id fix it....you will have a hot item for resale. I listed a similar mower for $500 and nearly got trampled. Guys with subcompact will scoop it up vs paying double for new.

#4 cumberland OFFLINE  

cumberland
  • 26 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:12 AM

At TSC one side of yoke was $62 the other side was $30 something. The 5 way bearing was another &30. The blade is $40. All + tax. Then I'm not sure if I can get the roll pin out and yoke off fixed side. If I could find the half shaft that fits it would be better, although when all said & done I'll still be looking around $200.
It's not going anywhere for now. I'll keep looking and hopefully I'll hear back on the one I emailed about, then I'd have s spare one. I like two of everything :)

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,302 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:17 AM

At TSC one side of yoke was $62 the other side was $30 something. The 5 way bearing was another &30. The blade is $40. All + tax. Then I'm not sure if I can get the roll pin out and yoke off fixed side. If I could find the half shaft that fits it would be better, although when all said & done I'll still be looking around $200.
It's not going anywhere for now. I'll keep looking and hopefully I'll hear back on the one I emailed about, then I'd have s spare one. I like two of everything :)

Having equipment you use, it's also nice to have spare parts.
If it looks good and you don't get the other one, then I agree with tainted. The 5 and 6 foot units hold their value.

#6 cumberland OFFLINE  

cumberland
  • 26 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 07:19 AM

Ps.. Well the CL ad I responded to was 2 hours old and it's been deleted/ sold. Someone got a good deal. The cheapest beat up used one I can find now is $500. To $925 for a 6' :(

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 03:32 PM

I agree to keep it and fix it.  Out of curiosity is that a standard yoke on the mower?  When I worked for Central Tractor some of those Howse mowers had their own unique driveline yokes on the gearbox end that had to be a Howse only part.

#8 cumberland OFFLINE  

cumberland
  • 26 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 03:50 PM

Called mfg after getting another price of $200 for parts. I was able to order the whole back end of shaft for $91+ ship. I think I got lucky
  • olcowhand said thank you