• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 arkracing OFFLINE  

arkracing
  • Member No: 62367
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 12:58 PM

Hi. New member here.  I just picked up this Economy PK 1618 from a friend of mine.  It's in pretty decent shape, but needs a few minor maintenance items.  Came with the factory FEL, both the 4' bucket and the 3' bucket with teeth and the 4'plow.

I've been doing some reading and research about these and read somewhere (I can't find it now) about keeping the head/cyl clean of dirty oily build up in the fins.  I pulled the top engine cover off immediately and did find that it was pretty gunked up.  I plan on cleaning that up - anybody know where to get a valve cover gasket or should I just use some "Permatex Right Stuff"???

Let me know what you think and anything that I need to address or be aware of.  I've never had a tractor like this.

Plan to use it for some minor landscaping and snow plowing on my 1.25 acre lot.

-Andy

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140927_154744_143.jpg
  • IMG_20140927_154903_470.jpg

• Gtractor and Alc have said thanks

#2 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Welcome, glad to have you as part of the group.  I don't know anything about that tractor but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with some help.

Don

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,804 Thanks
  • 2,206 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 04:32 PM

:welcometogttalk:  from a fellow nutmeg'er    sorry I'm no help with the PK  but nice looking rig  

Tom

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Welcome to GTTalk !   You picked a nice workhorse there :thumbs:   I have a 2418 , but with a 12hp engine on it now .. It's great that you have both buckets, and plow .Not sure about your question because mine came without an engine lol

#5 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 07:56 PM

That looks like a great tractor. You do have to keep the head clean to help dissipate the heat from combustion . I don't know where you can get  a headgasket but I will do a little checking.  Permatex  Great stuff is made for use when there is not the heat and pressure you will get at a head gasket. I use it for a gasket on things like the gaskets on the rear axle, and it does work great.  My son uses it to replace gasket for antique cars.

What you need for the head gasket is   Permatex Copper Spray a Gasket Hi temp sealant. but you still have to put the old gasket back on  after spraying both sides.

Permatex® Copper Spray-A-Gasket® Hi-Temp Sealant

Edited by Dave Central NY, September 28, 2014 - 07:57 PM.

• arkracing said thank you

#6 arkracing OFFLINE  

arkracing
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 08:10 PM

"That looks like a great tractor. You do have to keep the head clean to help dissipate the heat from combustion . I don't know where you can get  a headgasket but I will do a little checking.  Permatex  Great stuff is made for use when there is not the heat and pressure you will get at a head gasket. I use it for a gasket on things like the gaskets on the rear axle, and it does work great.  My son uses it to replace gasket for antique cars.

What you need for the head gasket is   Permatex Copper Spray a Gasket Hi temp sealant. but you still have to put the old gasket back on  after spraying both sides.

Permatex® Copper Spray-A-Gasket® Hi-Temp Sealant"

Thanks Dave.  Yeh I had thought that I read somewhere about a valve cover gasket being the problem.   I talked to another friend of mine who said that it is probably the headgasket itself and he should have one for it in his pile of old stuff.  I guess he worked on a few of them when he was doing small engine repair, but If you know of a source that would be helpful as well just incase he doesn't have one.

This thing runs mint and I would like to keep it in the best shape that I can.  I think I have one axle seal leaking as well.  Not really sure exactly where it is coming from, I think I'll pressure wash it and see if I can find the source.

Thanks again for the warm welcome from everyone.

Edited by arkracing, September 28, 2014 - 08:13 PM.

#7 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 08:39 AM

Hi,

It could be that the seals for the push rod tubes are leaking. These is an o'ring looking part that the seals both ends of the push rod tube.

Any Kohler engine parts dealer should be able to order parts as they probably won't stock parts for this engine.

Also, I would try high temp Permatex for the valve cover gasket if you can't find or make a gasket from gasket stock.

Chuck

Edited by EconChuck, September 29, 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#8 Dave Central NY OFFLINE  

Dave Central NY
  • Member No: 27835
  • 106 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted September 29, 2014 - 12:43 PM

That engine is a Kohler 361.  Head gaskets are hard to come by.  Try this

http://www.ereplacem...533_106837.html

http://www.kohlereng...pdf/tp_1288.pdf

You should check with the guys on

https://groups.yahoo...rsations/topics

Looks like parts for that engine are hard to find be real careful taking that head off so you can save the gasket

Edited by Dave Central NY, September 29, 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#9 arkracing OFFLINE  

arkracing
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for the help and suggestions.  Through some of those links I stumbled upon the factory PN for the head gasket, and they are available.  I ordered on on Ebay so that will be helpful.  I would assume that the Orings in the push rod tubs were a standard size (I'll see if I can source them, but hopefully a regular O-ring assortment kit will have some that will work.

#10 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,476 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 12:51 PM

These aluminum heads have steel valve seats, and when heated like to let loose, usually the exhaust side. Before it gets that far though it will pound the seat up into the alum head and the valve clearance gets tighter and/or closed up and engine acts bad or won't run at all. Frequent valve clearance adjustments are common till it no longer works.  Many people have taken this engine out and gone to the standard 14hp with no problems and all is bolt in too.  Watch out for stripping the valve cover bolts/screws, easy to do. Later models had bigger bolts there, so not sure what you might have. You get oil leaking at gasket, onto the hot head, and it dries hard over time, blocking air from moving over fins to cool, This is where overheating comes in, and problems get worse from there.  Seems these engines seem to be a good one once in awhile with no issues and next guy has much trouble with it. Good Luck with yours!

• Alc said thank you