• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 06:30 PM

I got a little time today to tinker ....and lo and behold got the 446 running. After looking at some manuals and finally finding the points I set about figuring out what was wrong.

The motor turned over good after charging the batt for a hour or two,, but wasn`t getting any spark at the plugs. I had to pull the air cleaner set up off to get to the cover over the points and condenser. I was impressed with the trouble they went to make sure the cleaner wouldn`t ever come off. 4 allen head bolts to the carb, 2 brackets with bolts, lock washers and nuts. and big air intake hose that must go to a box somewhere I haven`t found yet ...and the crankcase breather tube all fit very well into the filter housing.

The cover over the point`/condenser was mounted to plate that the points/condenser are mounted onto....and was bolted to the block with 1/4 inch allen head bolts. A little rod went thru the plate into the block and rides on ???something rotating in the block I guess to time the points The little rubber seal type thing in the points bracket kept it from falling out ....I didn`t notice it till I got ready to put it back together..

I couldn`t get in close enough to see what was going on with the points but test lite told me I had fire to one side of the points but not the other side when cranked. I  took the whole thing out and cleaned up the points. Made quick trip to my local shop to see if I could get any of the points, condenser or coil before they closed at noon. Said they`d never seen a Case and didn`t have any of the parts.

So I cleaned up the points, put it all back together...got a little spark at the points now.... closed the choke and went to crankin`!! Took a little bit of crankin to get some gas flowing and dang`ed if it didn`t start right up. Sat there and idled purty as you please....let her warm up a bit while I was try to figure out which lever would make it move.

Backed her out of the trailer and rode around a bit and decided to engage the PTO and see if would spin the blades. Sure enough they spun and we tried a little mowing. seem to work good.....and then it ran out of gas. I did some more mowing and then it just quit....didn`t ant to start till I pulled throttle all the way back and then it finally did....mowed a little more at hi throttle and it did it again. Same solution to get it  started again.

Decided to put it in the garage . I was only wanting to see what worked and what didn`t before changing the oil and stuff any way. You can tell by the smell that it  is running really rich....really rich and that maybe makin` it run hotter than it should too.

Anyway ...it runs and needs some adjustment ...the deck isn`t hooked up right to the lift for some reason. Overall I`m pretty pleased with my winning bid and can now look at the 444 Demonstrator and see how it goes when I get a key switch for it !!

• olcowhand, Alc, tinbender7 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 07:31 PM

I believe someone will be able to diagnose the Onan behaviour.

My guess is the fuel pump.  Common failure and expensive to replace.

Make sure the line connected to the crank case isn't leaking.

There are cheaper work-arounds.  I put in a B&S pulse pump on my Sears SS/16 (similar motor).

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 05:55 AM

What fuel pump does it have on it? Is it attached to the carb or on the shroud? I'm not familiar with the Onan's on Case tractors. You might have sucked some moisture/crud when you ran it out of gas.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 09:11 AM

I thinking the pump is attached to the carb....has an extra inlet location that is closed from the factory looks like. I`ve got get the choke cable fixed and then put the air cleaner all back together before I can diagnose the overly rich condition it seems to have. It stopped once before it ran out gas. Looks like the gas outlet in the tank is about 1`/4 to 3/8 above floor of tank and it has a filter inline although it is kinda anemic looking.

It is really different driving with lever for travel...take som getting used to......and the brake...?????

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,474 Thanks
  • 39,712 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 09:23 AM

It could be the filter is too small. I ran into that with a neighbors tractor. Wouldn't let enough fuel through for it to keep running. Found one I could blow through real easy, put it on and cured his issue! Some pics sure would help!

#6 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 10:11 AM

The travel lever is also your brake. You can go as far as reverse to stop with no damage. Your not changing a gear, only reversing the flow of the oil in the drive motor. It does take some practice to get smooth with the handle. The brake is really only for parking and will pull the travel handle back to neutral when pressed. When going downhill, keep the throttle up and the travel handle in the retard position or even in reverse to control speed. Case also ran both style fuel pumps. I have 2 Onan tractors, one with the carb mounted and one remote mounted. Good luck. I'm sure your well on your well to finding that gremlin. Oh and be careful, Case' like to reproduce in your garage/shop.

Eric
  • OldAllis52 said thank you

#7 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • Member No: 41205
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 12:47 PM

I am officially jealous now!

#8 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted February 11, 2015 - 02:56 PM

Well do you have both of them running yet? Inquiring minds want to know

#9 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted February 15, 2015 - 10:36 AM

No Old Allis.....have been working 12 hour days, 12 in a row before 2 days off since September....barely keeping head above water..much less tinker with tractors.

Good news is I finally got laid off and have plans to get on these Case`s...soon as the temp gets above freezing LOL !! I`m trying to make a decision on what to do with these things. I see no advantage to a full restore , they still have good paint for the most part. I`m going to try to get them running properly unless someone wants to make an offer before I get in them too far.

I saw a 222 at our local tractor boneyard. Larry said he got it from Al`s widow to help her out. The motor was in pieces....supposedly all there in boxes. Price was more than I paid for either of the ones I bought.

I would do some trading for a 200 series if it had a working tiller....That`s about the size I`m looking for garden tilling.

Do you know any of the local guys fooling with these Case `s.....seem like there were a couple at the auction. Al`s cousin I think was one of them.

• Oldford said thank you

#10 OldAllis52 OFFLINE  

OldAllis52
  • 271 Thanks
  • 160 posts

Posted February 21, 2015 - 12:05 PM

I think most of them left the area. Nobody I know bought any besides you. I heard at least one went over to the Dunlap area. If you decide to sell one send me a message because I would be interested in either one. Money is tight until June but I can see what I can come up with.

#11 Jonboy OFFLINE  

Jonboy

• Member No: 7535
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 09:18 AM

hi snuffy i am interested in the case tractors. let me know if u are thinkn about selln them. u can PM me  thanks 

#12 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted February 22, 2015 - 05:22 PM

I`m still trying to decide what to do with them. Been fighting fallin` trees with this crappy weather.

Thinking about some trades...would like to maybe have good 200 series with a deck and good rototiller I have good lawn mower and decent small tractor ...or 2. Just don`t know what they are worth.... what do ya`ll think ?? PM me

• OldAllis52 said thank you