LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 03:54 PM

I was serving lunch at an auction today. The owner was an old guy who had been restoring Internationals for a long time. This was a sale of a bunch of his tractors and implements. Some of the tractors were restored, some were partial tractors. His best stuff he kept back and a good thing he did. The prices were terribly low. I could have bought a Farmall F12 restored and running good for $650. Even a totally great M went for $2000. An International 4 cyl power unit nice was $70. This was a well publicized sale with call in bids from the East Coast. He did have one good thing. An International Dealers tool board complete with all tools, went for $3000. Still most of the implements went for less than scrap price.

• Talntedmrgreen, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 03:57 PM

Economy is bad. No one has cash to spend on collectibles or stuff they'd just like to have.

Most of the stuff I try to sell today I get bombarded with trade offers. Which isn't bad I like trading stuff too.

Edited by toomanytoys84, September 27, 2014 - 08:07 PM.

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 07:25 PM

That's a shame! There was a Case GT collection that auctioned off really cheap recently. The economy just doesn't seem to be getting into gear. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 08:04 PM

I heard a remark about the price of corn being down.

#5 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 08:18 PM

I saw some of the Barrett Jackson Car auction today and all those high dollar cars were selling cheaper then I've seen in several years. I'm sure not the result of our great economic recovery we have been seeing. :wallbanging:

• GTTinkerer and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 09:05 PM

The price of live feeder pigs doubled just as my last two gilts went down the road . Go figure .

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,869 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 11:04 PM

Go figure? Just Murphy's Law is all, lol.
  • Sparky and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,795 Thanks
  • 7,542 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 06:55 AM

In CT, the government says the unemployment rate is 6% but its really over 20%. Many of us were forced to retire early(at reduced money). Many others have had to leave the state.

Prices at the grocery store are climbing, ground beef is a dollar a pound more now than last winter. Gas is alittle down until the election, then it will shoot up. The economy is struggling in good part because so many companies shipped their jobs to asia years ago and the other part being the scams on Wall Street. IT may get even tougher. Good Luck, Rick

• Bill56, GTTinkerer and HANKG have said thanks

#9 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 07:39 AM

The price of live feeder pigs doubled just as my last two gilts went down the road . Go figure .

We usually pickup a few feeder pigs every year but this year the prices up here went from around $60 to over $125 for 30 pounders.

• Sparky said thank you

#10 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 08:25 AM

Its funny how different parts of our country things work. I went to a Auction Sale a month ago looking to buy a tractor and couldn't believe the price's things were going for. I should have left when I saw the prices that things were being sold for. I stuck it out to the end thinking that maybe things would settle down to more reasonable prices but no way. The tractor I was hoping to buy was a 2004 Kubota I figured if it went for this amount [I had a set price in mind] that I'd bid. To my surprise it actually started at the price I figured to end at. I honestly don't know what people think sometimes. Anyway in the end it sold for $16,000. way over my head. They also had a 2013 John deer front mount mower [diesel]with a high lift bagger that the people had a reserve on that the auctioneer got the bid up to $22,000 that the people passed on.{Again way out of my reach} They wanted $25,000. I couldn't believe it that they wouldn't let it go seeing that this summer's grass season is done with. Like I said don't know where all the $$$$ is coming from because I sure don't have it. I must be doing something wrong LOL.

• Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 08:30 AM

I hardly ever go to auctions as things usually bring a premium price around here.   Of course I sometimes hear of something I would have been interested in going for near nothing, but if I were there bidding it higher, then there's a good chance it too would end up way up there.  So I don't think about it much.

• massey driver said thank you

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 08:51 AM

I haven't been to an auction in years but I'm guessing the prices are still high in our area .. I can't see spending the whole  day waiting for something that you have no idea what the price is going to be . I  would rather buy off a news paper , flea markets or CL   heck even a "For Sale" sign on the side of the road lol I think there are a lot  of people who go to those auctions who then resell . Maybe when I retire I will have a change of heart and I'll be the one reselling  lol

#13 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 28, 2014 - 09:32 AM

One local auctioneer had a really irritating habit of not staying in a logical or predictable rotation . He probably thought he could gauge interest levels in certain stuff . The only result for me was seeing people walking away in disgust  - me included  . That may have been his intention .