LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,684 Thanks
  • 7,692 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 08:00 AM

Yes sir! That is some fine machine. Did you do the restore or did your uncle?

#17 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 893 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 11:06 AM

I hope that you get to try it out. I'd love to hear if it cuts well. That sickle bar sure looks clean and sharp.

#18 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 01:08 PM

Any one out there that has any info on those brackets? Nato77 any leads on tank decals? How do you know for sure that the yellow ones are correct? I would really like to get some made. I would also like to find some of the clips that originally held the throttle cable in place. Maybe some one has an idea on them?

Out of the 7 12As I have only one doesn't have the original engine. You can see bits and pieces of the decals on all of them so I'm almost 100% positive the yellow would be right for your tractor, but you never know with Bolens they seem to throw us collectors curve balls every once in a while. As for the decals I need to make time to get the right lighting to get a good pic of them to send to the decal guy. Been to busy to even look at my tractor lately. But once I something figured out I'll let you know.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#19 eScore OFFLINE  

eScore
  • Member No: 62267
  • 16 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 09, 2014 - 09:25 PM

Wow that is awesome you have the clips. What do I need to do to get a few of them? Can I pay pal you? I could give you some measurements on my tank, and maybe compare them to the actual decal Nato77 posted up that he must have access to? It seems the 12A is pretty rare from what I have found. I missed Natos post somehow. I guess I will wait to see what you figure out. Its not like I am in a hurry so what ever we can make happen is great when you get the time. Would you guys agree that John Deer green is the correct color for this machine or no?

Edited by eScore, October 09, 2014 - 09:27 PM.

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 05:09 AM

You can just send me a PM for details about buying the parts.

John Deere Green is not correct.

Below is the paint code for a custom mix that is almost a prefect match for the green used on these machines, 12grams of CF108 gets added at the end.

post-7-0-02670900-1403779505.jpg

• eScore said thank you

#21 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted October 10, 2014 - 03:23 PM

No JD green!! Even with them painted up the right colors people still think its a JD.

1945 and up had the same sized decals on the tanks. 42 had "Bolens" spelled out on the sides and 43-44 I can't say, don't have any of them yet. I wouldn't say the 12a is rare, the model is more over looked in my opinion. They don't have all the styling and frills other models have but that doesn't mean they're not collectable.

The clips bolens 1000 has are a little different than the originals. But once they're painted you won't hardly even notice the difference. Manufactures changed things so much through the years and its hard to imposible to get an exact replica of a lot of original parts. Here's a pic of what they looked like originally. Rusty is old and silver in new.

IMG_20141010_151403_823.jpg
  • Bolens 1000 and eScore have said thanks

#22 eScore OFFLINE  

eScore
  • 16 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 10:11 AM

Sorry I don't know what happened but I missed a couple posts. My uncle did all the restore so far. I just have a few odds and ends to finish up and I need to do the cultivator. I hope to try the sickle bar out next year. Maybe even the cultivator too. I just got a Model 100 Cub Cadet with a plow and a cultivator as well. I have been messing with it a lot lately. I will PM you to get the clips. I wouldn't know much about mixing paint to do that myself but I am thinking whats on it may be wrong then. That makes sense that they are more looked over due to not having much aesthetic features. I would love to see some pictures of others like mine to compare and of a cultivator and cutter bar assembled.

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 01:09 PM

Yes, the paint is too dark on yours, Here's a pic of what the correct colors looked like for those years (In my opinion I got a 95% match) :

Alot of people paint them a dark green, seems like there was some misinformation given on that particular color back then and alot still think they are supposed to be dark.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN5354.JPG

• eScore said thank you

#24 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 01:48 PM

Here's a few pics of my 12A. If you need closer up pics I can them if nessesary.

IMG_20140528_183134_755.jpg IMG_20140810_115513_283.jpg IMG_20140812_184255_096.jpg
  • Bolens 1000, LPBolens and eScore have said thanks

#25 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 01:53 PM

Hey , you've been holding out on us!

Dont remember seeing those posted here before :D

#26 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted October 11, 2014 - 09:29 PM

Hey , you've been holding out on us!
Dont remember seeing those posted here before :D

Maybe a little, but I've had a very busy past few months. I will be having more time here soon to get caught up on things.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#27 eScore OFFLINE  

eScore
  • 16 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 10:41 PM

Nato those pictures are great. I am missing the bar to guide the cutter bar with. I really want to try to make a copy of one as I am sure there is not much to it. I got pretty busy with work lately but I am going to try to start playing with this thing soon. I might try to put the cultivator together tomorrow. If you have that bar and would be willing to help I would love to have it duplicated some how. Of course your not going to send it to me to have it done but if you have a local machine shop or something that could do it I would pay the cost plus something to you for your time and effort.

I am still really wanting to get some tank decals as well. 

Does any one know of a way I can figure the exact year of it?

#28 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted December 04, 2014 - 12:49 AM

If your talking about the "sail" looking piece that yours is missing a while back I got the demensions off it for Brian (bolens1000). I looked for the thread but couldn't find it. I think I could fab something up at the shop. It wouldn't be for a little while though. Just let me know what your thinking about it.

As for the decals, I will get something done with them. Just to many other things that require time right now.

Do you have the engine serial number and the serial number off the tractor? By going off the engine number and add a few or so months is about as close as your going to get with finding the year of it. I'm also curious what the tractor number is.

#29 eScore OFFLINE  

eScore
  • 16 Thanks
  • 13 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 10:13 AM

So its been quite a while but I will get the tag number as soon as I can. I am out of state so i cant get to the tractor. I do not know what you mean by the sail looking piece. I told you worng I meant on the cultivator not the cutter bar. If you look at the manual which I found on this site some how a while back it would be part number 990401. You have it in your pictures. I know I have had some big gaps between being on here but  I really want to get these parts and the decals and start mine up and run it later this summer when I am home enough to work with it. Hopefully we can make something happen soon.

• Nato77 said thank you

#30 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted February 17, 2015 - 07:38 PM

So you need the guide handle for the cultivator. I might have a extra one laying around but would have to check.
As for the decals, I've tried a couple different places and they say they're to far gone which is aggatating. I found a couple other places I need to check on. Need to get that done soon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, walk behind, power ho, model 12a