Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Not Many Events Or Collectors Down South..

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 12:09 PM

To be honest I dont know a single person who collects ,restores GTs in any way at all..and since joining this group I have looked..I fear most of the old GTs in this area went for scrap when the price was high..I my self am even guilty of scrapping a few that I regret now after seeing what you folks can do with them and how much time and love you invest...we live and learn.

Auburn, Start checking out any of the farm tractor or heritage/history type shows and I bet you will find some collectors. I didn't think there were any collectors in TX, but I have found quite a few over the years. Maybe even post something on Craigs List about looking for GT collector clubs or shows, you maybe surprised by what you find. happy Hunting.

BTW, I have found and bought GTs out of central and southern Bama before..

• Auburn David said thank you

#17 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 06:28 PM

I'll be in Bama next week and I have a friend at work whose father or father-in-law collects. I'll see if there are any shows that he knows of.

#18 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 07:04 PM

Auburn, member Robert Webb is having a plow day 2 hours south of Atlanta at some of his family's farm sometime in early November.  It's not a show, but it would be fun.

#19 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, shows are good but plow days are FUN!

#20 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 07:51 PM

The only down side to meeting fellow fanatics at shows and events is that you want one of this or one of that . And then you need a part or find another that could be fixed . And then like Corvettes , you find the one you really wanted  ( so I've heard , not for me ) .

I've probably skipped a few steps in this description but you get the idea .  There is a down side to all this ?

Seriously , we like the shows for the people we meet .   Takes time and a little travel .

#21 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted September 27, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Let me slightly revise that last post of mine here - Corvettes are not my bag . I have brought home GT 's for reasons that irritated my wife at the time however she is cool with it now .

#22 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 08:52 AM

Auburn, I just spoke with one of my guys at the office and he said there are some shows around Alabama but they seem to be mostly lumped in with other things like car shows, etc.  I'm going to see if I can get a few here to list for you.  It would be a good way to start anyway.  Search car shows in your area and see what you come up with.  He also said there was one that he thought might have been called "Mule Days" or something like that.

#23 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 09:35 AM

Were are you in Alabama?  Robert is just out side Birmingham.   I believe we have other members from Bama as well and there are quite a few of us from GA.  Mostly of the shows I see are old Car shows. 

#24 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 09:52 AM

The Farm Collector show directory is probably the best source of finding shows. There is an online listing of shows here.  http://www.farmcolle...x#axzz3EoJtVHwk

Click on your state on the right and it will bring them up. I believe there were 5 lisintgs in AL for this October. These are only the paid listings. the directory also offers a free listing for shows but those aren't shown online. The directory comes out in Feb-Mar and is like a bible for show goers.

#25 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 01:33 PM

Were are you in Alabama?  Robert is just out side Birmingham.   I believe we have other members from Bama as well and there are quite a few of us from GA.  Mostly of the shows I see are old Car shows. 

I'm in Ft. Payne this week.

#26 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 266 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 05:07 PM

hello auburn and war eagle! i am from selma and work in birmingham. you should try if possible to come to our show in orrville on november 8. http://www.orrvillet...m/Home_Page.php it is always a great show. usually about 50 tractors with 10-15 more garden tractors, hit and miss engines, and a growing number of cars (probably 60 or so last year). if you can come look me up and say hi. i will have at least one bush hog garden tractor and a cub cadet original with #1 cart and probably a few restored john deere 2 cylinders.

another that i try to attend every year is held at tannehill state park in mid july. also a great show and great place to meet other nuts like us.
  • Alc said thank you

#27 rbooker OFFLINE  

rbooker
  • Member No: 54463
  • 266 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 05:10 PM

so there's another robert from birmingham on here besides me?

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted September 30, 2014 - 05:19 PM

so there's another robert from birmingham on here besides me?

Yes, member Robert Webb, his real name and GTtalk name.  He lives just south of Birmingham I believe.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#29 Robert Webb OFFLINE  

Robert Webb

• Member No: 6780
  • 878 Thanks
  • 419 posts

Posted October 13, 2014 - 06:08 AM

Auburn, I am going to guess that you are in the Auburn AL area.  I live in Alabaster, (just south of Birmingham ) but grew up in Smiths Station) I am hosting a plow day in South Ga in about a month...........SO..... if there are any members that live in close proximity to Ga, we will be having a plow day event in Preston Ga on November 7-8. So bring your tractors and come have fun in the dirt with us. There will be PLENTY of ground to be plowed so dont let that deter you. There is about 300 acres available if we need it......lol The event is being held on a family members farm and the soil is a nice Sandy soil If any of you have ever been to one of the Alabama Plow Days in Guntersville, then you know the type soil that I am talking about. EASY PLOWING.........wide open throttle DEEP plowing type soil......lol I dont care if you are bringing your John Deere or one of those "other" brands, we welcome all of them! SO tell, your friends and let me know if you are planning to come so that I will have some kind of idea how many people are going to be there!  

• olcowhand, Alc and HDWildBill have said thanks