Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Starting Restoration Process Of Cub Cadet 104 .

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#91 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • Member No: 14152
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 01:21 PM

You are welcome.  Glad to help.

It works ! I see what you mean about adjusting for the different implements . Did you ever find the drive in type zerk fittings you were looking for a couple of weeks ago ?

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#92 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 02:22 PM

It works ! I see what you mean about adjusting for the different implements . Did you ever find the drive in type zerk fittings you were looking for a couple of weeks ago ?

I wasn't looking for zerks, but I did ask you about the drive in rivets you use for your serial number tags and generator tags.  That was for future reference so I can get them in the future whenever I do one over.

Edited by IHCubGuy, November 23, 2014 - 02:23 PM.

• mike912e said thank you

#93 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 02:49 PM

I wasn't looking for zerks, but I did ask you about the drive in rivets you use for your serial number tags and generator tags.  That was for future reference so I can get them in the future whenever I do one over.

They say that memory is the second thing that goes . I can't remember what the first thing was !

#94 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 02:52 PM

They say that memory is the second thing that goes . I can't remember what the first thing was !

See if this might get you started : http://www.ebay.com/...=item35e040e731

• IHCubGuy said thank you

#95 TokyoDrift99 OFFLINE  

TokyoDrift99
  • Member No: 59603
  • 80 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 03:16 PM

Looks like you like you have a great start, and that piwder coat looks great. Good luck!
  • mike912e and Gabriel have said thanks

#96 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 06:44 PM

Gabriel ,
    Here's two pictures of two different 12 hp Kohlers ( K-301 )that I have . One has three studs and the other has all bolts . The engine with the studs and spacers is not the correct engine for this application . It also does not have a deep oil sump but is flat on the bottom  . The other has no studs and a deep sump and is correct for the 124 that it's mounted in . If your totally confused by now I understand . Without the original shroud tag on the engine with the specification number on it , you can't be sure of what application it should be used on . If it isn't broke don't fix it ! If your tractor has an engine in it that is functioning great, don't fret over it .
mike912e

I suppose they (K301s in Cub Cadets) very (using studs and bolts or just bolts) depending on what is mounted above the head (shrouds, fuel tanks, heat shields, etc.). And maybe mounting hardware (studs and bolts or all bolts) varied depending on how certain parts (shrouds, fuel tanks, heat shields, etc.) needed to be fastened for ease of assembly, disassembly, etc. I know I have a K301, but the spec decal has been painted over, so that's why I don't know for sure what engine I have. I would like to try to remove some of the paint on the decal so I can try to see the spec number that's stamped into the shroud. Thanks, and thanks for the pics of yours!

Edited by Gabriel, November 23, 2014 - 07:36 PM.

#97 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 06:55 PM

And I'm assuming that the engine that's in mine was originally out of a Cub Cadet. Maybe it wasn't.

#98 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 07:23 PM

Mine may not have the original K301, so maybe the Cub Cadet this engine was originally mounted on needed a mix of studs and bolts.

Maybe it didn't have anything to do with what Cub Cadet it was mounted in (if it even was).

#99 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 07:50 PM

I suppose they (K301s in Cub Cadets) very (using studs and bolts or just bolts) depending on what is mounted above the head (shrouds, fuel tanks, heat shields, etc.). And maybe mounting hardware (studs and bolts or all bolts) varied depending on how certain parts (shrouds, fuel tanks, heat shields, etc.) needed to be fastened for ease of assembly, disassembly, etc. I know I have a K301, but the spec decal has been painted over, so that's why I don't know for sure what engine I have. I would like to try to remove some of the paint on the decal so I can try to see the spec number that's stamped into the shroud. Thanks, and thanks for the pics of yours!

Gabriel,

Does your engine have a metal stamped plate on the shroud or is it a decal ? As far as I know all of the Cub 123's had the metal tag on their Kohler engine . If it has a decal then it's probably a replacement engine . Your K-301 metal tag should look like this : 

The l/h picture is the tag on my 124 . The r/h picture shows my engine tag , both original and reproduction tag , from my 72 Cub . If you want to see the new reproduction tag on the 124's engine it will have to wait until tomorrow as the Cub is out in the shed .

mike912e

Attached Thumbnails

• Cadet 124 engine plate 001.JPG
  • old and new Cub 72 I.D. plates 1-17-13 003.JPG

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#100 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Gabriel,

Does your engine have a metal stamped plate on the shroud or is it a decal ? As far as I know all of the Cub 123's had the metal tag on their Kohler engine . If it has a decal then it's probably a replacement engine . Your K-301 metal tag should look like this : 

The l/h picture is the tag on my 124 . The r/h picture shows my engine tag , both original and reproduction tag , from my 72 Cub . If you want to see the new reproduction tag on the 124's engine it will have to wait until tomorrow as the Cub is out in the shed .

mike912e

Thanks. Mine doesn't have a plate (unless it and the rivets have been painted with a really heavy coat of paint). I just looked at a service manual for some Cub Cadet models that came after the 123, and it talked about engines having either bolts and studs, or just bolts, so I feel more and more confidant that this is not the original engine that came on it. Your new plate looks very nice!

• mike912e said thank you

#101 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Sorry for jumping in on your thread. I've just had some things I've been wondering about on my CC 123. I'm new to the world of Cub Cadet GTs. I've only owned mine for roughly two months.

#102 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 10:14 PM

Sorry for jumping in on your thread. I've just had some things I've been wondering about on my CC 123. I'm new to the world of Cub Cadet GTs. I've only owned mine for roughly two months.

Gabriel ,

We're here to help each other out , no matter what the issue is . A 123 is still a narrow frame Cub, as is the 104 that I'm restoring, so they have something in common . My first Cub was purchased in 2001 , but I didn't really get into them until I was given the 72 that I restored in 2010 . The 72 was built by IH ( Cub Cadet ) but the newer Cub that I purchased in 2001 was an MTD built Cub ( a 2206 ) . Like you I am just beginning to learn about Cubs . Hope I live long enough to learn it all ( LOL ) ! Have a great week and I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving .

mike912e

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#103 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 10:34 AM

Have a great week and I hope everyone has a blessed Thanksgiving .

mike912e

Same to you, Mike!

#104 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 02:03 PM

Installed the implement hanger and sanded and painted the gas tank today . Staging hardware and installing rubber padding on the tank mounts in preparation to install the tank tomorrow . Depends on how cured the tank's paint is by tomorrow . With any luck the rest of the decals should be here today or tomorrow and I can finish the dash and steering column installation , as well the choke and throttle cables . No pictures today as paint drying on a gas tank doesn't enlighten most people . For those who are bothered by the lack of photos, I sincerely apologize , but I would say that you have deeper rooted problems than garden tractors ( LOL)  .

It was nice to have a nice warm day to paint , except that it was rather windy which made it difficult to keep the dust out of the finish . My paint booth is my garage ! Pulled the Porsche outside as yellow paint on a black car doesn't look good . Although I will say that ten minutes with a paper towel soaked in paint thinner cleaned it up rather easily last time ! Just have to re-wax her afterwards .

Have a great day my friends . More reassembly of the old 104 Cub will follow . Stay tuned .

• Gabriel said thank you

#105 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,361 Thanks
  • 1,476 posts

Posted November 24, 2014 - 04:13 PM

Installed the implement hanger and sanded and painted the gas tank today . Staging hardware and installing rubber padding on the tank mounts in preparation to install the tank tomorrow . Depends on how cured the tank's paint is by tomorrow . With any luck the rest of the decals should be here today or tomorrow and I can finish the dash and steering column installation , as well the choke and throttle cables . No pictures today as paint drying on a gas tank doesn't enlighten most people . For those who are bothered by the lack of photos, I sincerely apologize , but I would say that you have deeper rooted problems than garden tractors ( LOL)  .

It was nice to have a nice warm day to paint , except that it was rather windy which made it difficult to keep the dust out of the finish . My paint booth is my garage ! Pulled the Porsche outside as yellow paint on a black car doesn't look good . Although I will say that ten minutes with a paper towel soaked in paint thinner cleaned it up rather easily last time ! Just have to re-wax her afterwards .

Have a great day my friends . More reassembly of the old 104 Cub will follow . Stay tuned .

Just paint the whole Porsche yellow then no one will ever know if you get over spray on it when you are painting.  LOL!!!!!!!!!!  After watching your progress and having argued with myself whether I wanted to do it or not while I have the rear out to re-gasket it I finally decided last night.  I now have my 107 laying in a bunch of pieces all over my garage floor waiting to get cleaned to be repainted.  It's only going to be a nice worker paint job, nothing fancy as it has to be able to get scratches in it.  It was time though and now I can give some attention to some things that might need checked while it's apart.  I'm hoping to keep my budget under $300 (like that will happen!).

• mike912e and Gabriel have said thanks