Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Starting Restoration Process Of Cub Cadet 104 .

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#61 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • Member No: 14152
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 15, 2014 - 11:51 AM

I have restored a few tractors in my time but your work has put my resto's to shame. Outstanding attention to detail to include the ID tags,rivets & grease fittings. Major learning process for me with the powder coating as well. I assume this unit will be a feature story in Cadet Connection magazine in the future? I will be following this thread for sure. What a way to enjoy retirement! 

BNK,

My skills come from the discipline of building real airplanes for thirty years . It not only has to function correctly , but it's fit and form have to be correct as well . I'm basically lazy, so powder coating is an easy way out of doing a lot of work ! Painting is too much work ! The only work I get stuck with is the cleanup after I get the parts back . Putting the pieces back together is where I get my real joy . When I'm done I have a piece of functional art . I try to make them as good or better than new . As to making any of my projects a feature story , I guess I would entertain that possibility but I'm not seeking that kind of exposure . I just enjoy exchanging ideas and experiences here on GT talk's forum . Thank you for the compliment and ask all the questions you want , which goes for everyone who is following along .

I hope to meet more of you guys and gals in person at tractor shows somewhere down the road . And yes, retirement is great . I work harder now than when I was working ! But I get to take naps any time I want .

mike912e

• Gabriel and BNK have said thanks

#62 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted November 16, 2014 - 04:31 AM

Ha ha ha! Can't wait to Retire myself and take advantage of daily "power naps" !!!! 

• mike912e said thank you

#63 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Three hours ago I started to address this forum when my computer decided to remind me that we were way behind on our necessary updates . Finally got everything downloaded ! What would we do without these damned idiot boxes ?

Anyway, here's what I had planned on uploading : a couple of pictures of the implement handle spring assist before I add a thrust bearing and bolt the thing into the 104 Cub .  Some of you may not have a tractor that has one of these and some may be very familiar with it's functions . Either way I thought a few pictures might help . All of the parts have been powder coated except for the 1/2" X 5 " adjustment bolt which was painted . The reason for the ball bearing thrust bearing is to prevent the bolt head from grinding into the angled bracket's face when spring tension is adjusted . Even with a plain steel washer the bolt head becomes damaged . Granted , it doesn't get used much after the initial adjustment, but why damage parts just because that's the way it's always been done ? If I can improve something while doing my restoration, then why not . My tractors get used . No trailer queens here !

Attached Thumbnails

• half inch diameter adjustment bolt 001.JPG
  • Implement handle spring assist parts 001.JPG
  • Implement handle spring assist parts 002.JPG

• Alc, KennyP, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#64 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,564 Thanks
  • 3,942 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:04 AM

Its looking good Mike.  :thumbs:

• mike912e and Gabriel have said thanks

#65 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 12:51 PM

Got a little done on the Cub today . Fitted the starter/generator . I do this to ensure that I have the correct size and length fasteners . I try to make sure that the " IH " is on the head of each . If not, then I locate the proper fastener and primer and paint if required . The coil has been done for months and has been in a baggie on the shelf . I was able to reuse the sparkplug wire as it was in great shape . The engine was running when I removed it from the Cub for painting and it will probably run when I'm done putting everything back together . No smoke either ! This tractor was a one owner and was purchased on Ebay about four years ago with snow-thrower and mower deck . Deck and thrower were restored three years ago and will fit either my 72, 104 or 124 Cubs . Both are completely powder coated . The 104 as it looked the day I purchased it . The bottom side of the mower deck while fabricating a new baffle . The old was gone except for about one foot remaining . Made from the same grade and size steel as the original .

Attached Thumbnails

• starter coil condensor fitting on 104 Cub 001.JPG
  • starter coil condensor fitting on 104 Cub 002.JPG
  • starter coil condensor fitting on 104 Cub 003.JPG
  • starter coil condensor fitting on 104 Cub 004.JPG
  • Cub 104-2.jpg
  • Snowthrower is finally done ! 3-20-13 002.JPG
  • Snowthrower is finally done ! 3-20-13 003.JPG
  • mower deck 2-27-13 008.JPG
  • mower deck 2-27-13 010.JPG

• Alc and Gabriel have said thanks

#66 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 07:47 PM

Temporarily mounted the air-cleaner housing . It will have to come off to install the throttle and choke cables . Also installed the PTO handle . The black on the handle is a parts dip that can be purchased at Ace hardware . As soon as I purchase a new starter belt I can install the remainder of the PTO push/pull rod and turnbuckle , as well as install the starter/generator permanently . The pivot bolt for the PTO handle is not chrome, but rather polished stainless steel . Much better than the plain steel one that rusted and looked bad .

Later this week I'm going after the remainder of the parts at the powder coaters . There's a large, well stocked hardware store nearby that will supply the thrust bearing for the steering, as well as one for the implement spring assist . Might even purchase the starter belt while I'm there . The parts still at the powder coater are the original mule drive, the implement/mower deck hanger and the three point hitch pieces . Note: the original owner attached an angled bracket to the front of the mule front plate that is drilled for a trailer ball . Makes parking a trailer easier if your facing the trailer's direction .

Attached Thumbnails

• PTO handle and aircleaner 104 Cub 001.JPG
  • PTO handle and aircleaner 104 Cub 002.JPG
  • PTO handle and aircleaner 104 Cub 003.JPG

• Alc, superaben, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#67 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Was the anti scalp wood roller in that good of shape?

• Gabriel said thank you

#68 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Was the anti scalp wood roller in that good of shape?

cat385B ,

Nope, not at all . It was out of round . I fabricated a new one out of a piece of red oak that I saved from the wood pile . Turned it down to the correct diameter and cut it to length . Made a spare while I was at it , just-in-case . Always good to have a one-back sitting on the shelf . Thanks for asking and have a great day .

mike912e

• Alc, Cat385B, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#69 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:43 PM

Looking good!

#70 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Mike, what species were the originals made out of?

• Gabriel said thank you

#71 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 17, 2014 - 10:21 PM

Mike, what species were the originals made out of?

Good question . I'm not sure, but I'll see what I can find out .

• Gabriel said thank you

#72 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 07:44 PM

Spent the morning trying to plow snow . I was so worn out I had to come back inside and take a nap . Back out around 2pm , but felt so tired I went back inside . Maybe tomorrow .....................

Attached Thumbnails

• senior snowplow.jpg

• VintageIronCollector, Sawdust, GTpicker01 and 1 other said thanks

#73 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 18, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Spent the morning trying to plow snow . I was so worn out I had to come back inside and take a nap . Back out around 2pm , but felt so tired I went back inside . Maybe tomorrow .....................

Why didn't you use this? :D

Attached Thumbnails

• post-14152-0-59107100-1413724838.jpg

#74 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 03:15 PM

I guess you guys figured out that the " snow plow " was just a joke !

Today's effort produced the 3 point being mounted on the tractor . I also added a 7000 pound thrust bearing to the Ross steering box . I've seen it advertised on Ebay for $30 and figured I could do it cheaper . The only issue I had was purchasing the correct thickness 5/8" fine thread nylon locknut . The only one they had was too thick, but using a hacksaw and belt sander I was able to modify a useable piece . Just ordered the dash decal and as soon as it gets here I can install the dash and then the steering gear .  Closer to getting her done !

This evenings effort will be the mule drive . It's been modified and will post pictured tomorrow .

Attached Thumbnails

• New 3 point on the 104 Cub 001.JPG
  • New 3 point on the 104 Cub 002.JPG

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#75 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 19, 2014 - 08:44 PM

I guess you guys figured out that the " snow plow " was just a joke !

Yes :smilewink: .