Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Starting Restoration Process Of Cub Cadet 104 .

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#16 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted October 01, 2014 - 08:39 PM

All ( again ) ,
    Here are some close-up pics of the new Kohler engine tag I made and the restored trans tag for my 104 Cub . I've also done the same for my 72 and 124 Cubs . I had my supplier make a stamp that replicates the original information on the trans tag and after repairing it I have him re-stamp the original information in black epoxy paint .
   The original Kohler engine tag is on the left , my new engine tag is in the middle and the restored trans tag is on the right .
Any questions ?

Very nice!
  • mike912e said thank you

#17 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • Member No: 14152
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted October 05, 2014 - 12:36 PM

Here's some of the next batch of tractor parts that will be going to get powder coated . I've taken pictures of all the parts so that I can be sure that they are all there when I pick them up . I also indicate those areas on some parts that do not get powder coated . Saves me tons of time later not having to remove unnecessary coating . As I prepare parts for installation I will use either a tap or a die on parts that are threaded . If you go this route remember that one PTO rod is quarter-twenty LEFTHAND thread . As I recall that's the only L/H thread on the whole tractor . The only parts not shown are the frame and the cast grill . There will also be four more rims that I have to pick up tomorrow . I had the tires and tubes removed . When the rims are powder coated they are much more slick than the stock, painted rims and a tire by itself can spin on the rim after it's installed . I found , by experience, that installing a tube prevents this slippage problem . The implement lift handle will go to get chromed after it comes back from powder coat, as will the hood ornament get chromed .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00058.JPG
  • DSC00065.JPG
  • DSC00067.JPG
  • DSC00068.JPG
  • DSC00069.JPG
  • DSC00070.JPG
  • DSC00071.JPG
  • DSC00072.JPG

• GTpicker01 and Gabriel have said thanks

#18 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted October 16, 2014 - 02:17 PM

Here's an update of the parts being prepared for when the powder coated pieces come back . These parts shown today have been either bead-blasted and/or cleaned with turpentine , primed and painted the appropriate top coat color . I like to work this way . I bag the completed sub-assemblies and shelve them for future installation . I'm waiting for a new cam follower which will complete the Ross steering box . I also need to pick up a lens polishing kit for the center cover for the steering wheel . I can use that on the tail-light lens as well .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00095.JPG
  • DSC00096.JPG

• BowDown, New.Canadian.DB.Owner, GTpicker01 and 1 other said thanks

#19 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted October 17, 2014 - 09:25 AM

Your parts look very nice! Thanks for the pics!

Edited by Gabriel, October 17, 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#20 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 11:33 AM

The Ross steering gear is almost complete except for the new replacement cam follower . Packed full of grease, all bearings and retainers inspected and cleaned . The screw-in end bearing holder is adjusted and secured with a new cotter pin . I also replaced the top shaft bushing with a 3/4" i.d. wheel bearing instead of the plastic one which wears out rather rapidly . I floated it in with liquid steel as the bearing's o.d. is slightly smaller than the inside of the steering tube . This is the second Ross gear I did this to and it's holding up quiet well . The bearing was a used front wheel bearing , but still serviceable ball bearing with no slop.  I always replace the wheel bearings when I do a restoration . The really worn ones get thrown away but I try to find uses for the good ones .  

I'm getting ready to restore the tail-light next . I've cleaned the white plastic bulb holder and will be buffing the red lens . I've already wire-brushed the screws and will bag the all the parts after testing the bulbs and holder for proper operation .  I like to bite off small chunks of a restoration project . Makes the time go faster and I can still spend the necessary time to ensure each part and piece receives a quality restoration . It also ensures that the final assembly process goes with out any surprises .

I have yet to complete pressure washing the remaining parts of the engine and transmission case in preparation for paint . Lots to do yet and the large bunch of parts could be back from the powder-coater soon, including the frame .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00097.JPG

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Gabriel have said thanks

#21 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted October 18, 2014 - 03:02 PM

Here's a couple of pics of the ready-to-install taillight assembly . Polished the red lens with 600 wet or dry and then with 2300 then 4500 grit done wet with soap . Came out okay .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00100.JPG
  • DSC00102.JPG
  • DSC00103.JPG

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#22 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted October 19, 2014 - 08:21 AM

Slightly off subject, but I have the old 2206, staged just inside the garage door, ready for snow ! All I need to do is install the chains and she's ready to go . Yep, it's that time of year again, at least here in the South-central Pennsylvania area .  I have it parked next to my 104 work area .

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00104.JPG

• Gabriel said thank you

#23 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 03:04 PM

Finally got the 104's transmission cleaned primed and painted . I'll let it hang here for at least a week to ensure that the paint is completely cured . If it was 80 or 90 degrees in the garage, like during the summer months, I would be able to handle it within two or three days . Then it will be positioned up on the lift for the start of reassembly of the tractor . I hope that the powder coated parts are here by then so I can get to reassembling her . I'll top off the transmission and engine oils after it's back on it's wheels and ready to fire up for the first time .

Notice that it's hanging slightly nose down due to the added weight of the creeper gear . A plain transmission would probably hang level I would guess .

Also notice the blank cover plates I made up to protect the inside surfaces from getting paint inside the transmission . The regular rear and top shifter plates are being powder coated and will be installed later . I also installed a 1/8th inch pipe plug in the creeper vent hole for the same reason ; keep paint out . I have plates/covers made for the engine as well so painting it will go smoothly . A pipe plug closes off the exhaust opening .

Attached Thumbnails

• Freshly painted Cub transmission 001.JPG
  • Freshly painted Cub transmission 002.JPG
  • Freshly painted Cub transmission 003.JPG
  • Freshly painted Cub transmission 004.JPG

Edited by mike912e, October 23, 2014 - 08:30 PM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner, Sawdust, GTpicker01 and 1 other said thanks

#24 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted October 23, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Finally got the 104's transmission cleaned primed and painted . I'll let it hang here for at least a week to ensure that the paint is completely cured . If it was 80 or 90 degrees in the garage, like during the summer months, I would be able to handle it within two or three days . Then it will be positioned up on the lift for the start of reassembly of the tractor . I hope that the powder coated parts are here by then so I can get to reassembling her . I'll top off the transmission and engine oils after it's back on it's wheels and ready to fire up for the first time .

Notice that it's hanging slightly nose down due to the added weight of the creeper gear . A plain transmission would probably hang level I would guess .

Thanks for the update and pics! Please do keep them coming!

• mike912e and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#25 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted October 29, 2014 - 03:57 PM

Started reassembly today . My nephew came over last evening and helped lift the trans up onto the lift . Today I removed the temporary covers on top and at the rear . Also removed the 1/8" pipe plug for the creeper vent . The powder coater called yesterday and the parts will be ready for pick up next Monday, so it's time to start on some of the subassemblies . The driveshaft will be first although I need a new teaser spring to finish that assembly . I still need to drill out the trans I.D. plate mounting holes so I can install the restored plate . The shifter will have to wait as will the rear cover until they came back on Monday . Here's a few pics of the beginning :

Attached Thumbnails

• First day of reassembly of Cub Cadet 104 001.JPG
  • First day of reassembly of Cub Cadet 104 002.JPG
  • First day of reassembly of Cub Cadet 104 003.JPG
  • First day of reassembly of Cub Cadet 104 004.JPG
  • First day of reassembly of Cub Cadet 104 005.JPG

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner, Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#26 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted October 31, 2014 - 09:10 PM

Started reassembly today . My nephew came over last evening and helped lift the trans up onto the lift . Today I removed the temporary covers on top and at the rear . Also removed the 1/8" pipe plug for the creeper vent . The powder coater called yesterday and the parts will be ready for pick up next Monday, so it's time to start on some of the subassemblies . The driveshaft will be first although I need a new teaser spring to finish that assembly . I still need to drill out the trans I.D. plate mounting holes so I can install the restored plate . The shifter will have to wait as will the rear cover until they came back on Monday . Here's a few pics of the beginning :

Looking good!

#27 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 12:59 PM

Here are two pics of the restored transmission tag on my 104"s transmission . I've also started assembling the drive line . I went with the heavy duty throw-out bearing and clutch disk . It will require eliminating the rear split pin and installing a two-piece collar to accommodate the extra length of the new bearing w/grease fitting . When I have all the pieces and they are all assembled I'll post more pics .

Attached Thumbnails

• Restored Trans tag 104 Cub 001.JPG
  • Restored Trans tag 104 Cub 002.JPG
  • Drive line assembly so far Cub 104 001.JPG

• IHCubGuy, New.Canadian.DB.Owner, Sawdust and 2 others have said thanks

#28 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted November 01, 2014 - 06:26 PM

Where do you pick up those rivets for your transmission ID plates?  McCmaster Carr?  And are they spirals rivets?

#29 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 11:30 AM

Here's  what $300 worth of powder coating looks like . Notice that I have some doubles as it's easier for me to get them all done at the same time . In fact it's cheaper in that I don't have to make multiple 20 mile round trips . Now I'll clean them up , start to remove the tape and residue and any excess coating and start to reassemble the 104 . There is one white rim that isn't shown that has to be reshot and the hanger and mule were done in black instead of yellow as was the "U" shaped piece for the three point hitch .

Attached Thumbnails

• 104's powder coated parts 001.JPG
  • 104's powder coated parts 002.JPG
  • 104's powder coated parts 003.JPG
  • 104's powder coated parts 004.JPG

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner, Sawdust, GTpicker01 and 1 other said thanks

#30 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 03, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Where do you pick up those rivets for your transmission ID plates?  McCmaster Carr?  And are they spirals rivets?

I purchased a bag of 500 so come on down and I'll give you a handful . Yes, they are spiral , 1/8" diameter and 1/4" long . Used on the transmission tag and the starter/generator tag as well . PM me for phone number if you want to come by and we can arrange a convenient time .I'm retired and am around the house most days .

• Sawdust said thank you