Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Starting Restoration Process Of Cub Cadet 104 .

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#136 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • Member No: 14152
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Here's my diamond in the ruff Mike. 

http://gardentractor...d-up-a-mtd-990/

My 72 took me three years . Not a very steep learning curve ! Take your time, do your research and what you can't purchase , make your own . Because Kohler doesn't make the engine plates any more . I made my own . Be creative . You can make your own decals or find a printed vinyl shop that will make your decals for you . Might cost you a little more , but you will have something that no one else has . Or you can also produce a number of whatever your making and sell enough so that yours is paid for and the initial investment is recouped .

Make it fun ! Use your imagination . Think outside of the box .

• Sawdust, Gabriel and jerseyhawg / glenn have said thanks

#137 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:57 PM

Your CC 104 is looking great, Mike! Thanks for the pictures and update!

• mike912e said thank you

#138 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 28, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Your CC 72 looks great too! Thanks for the pictures of it!

Edited by Gabriel, November 28, 2014 - 10:00 PM.

#139 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 29, 2014 - 01:07 PM

Here's a picture of a disassembled Cub shifter . Parts have been powder coated and are ready to go back together . I'll try to get pics along the way and post them . This one will go back into my 124 Cub as soon as it's ready .

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub cadet shifter parts before reassembly 001.JPG
  • Cub cadet shifter parts before reassembly 002.JPG
  • Cub cadet shifter parts before reassembly 003.JPG
  • Cub cadet shifter parts before reassembly 004.JPG
  • Cub cadet shifter parts before reassembly 005.JPG

• Sawdust and Gabriel have said thanks

#140 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 02:29 PM

Here's a picture of a disassembled Cub shifter . Parts have been powder coated and are ready to go back together . I'll try to get pics along the way and post them . This one will go back into my 124 Cub as soon as it's ready .

Here's the shifter assembly being assembled . Apply ample grease to the top of the shifter ball and slide it into the top housing, making sure that the slot lines up with the rivet on the inside . Then install the cup with the " H " slots in it . It's keyed so it will only go in one way easily . Note: there should be a tab on the outside that acts as a depth stop ( note in the pic that mine is broken off ) . If you have to beat on it, stop and re-evaluate how it's positioned . Next comes the outer cap and then the O-ring , then the lower spring mount, followed by the spring and then the top spring mount . Now the spring must be compressed so that the pin can be installed through the shifter shaft in the little hole provided . Drive the pin all the way in so that it sits inside the spring mount and has an equal amount protruding out each side of the shaft . Now it's all done except for a new shift knob and decal .
This one will be going back on my 124 as I stole it for my 104 build ! Happens sometimes .

Attached Thumbnails

• Cub shifter assembly 001.JPG
  • Cub shifter assembly 002.JPG
  • Cub shifter assembly 003.JPG
  • Cub shifter assembly 004.JPG

• Alc, bgkid2966 and Gabriel have said thanks

#141 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 06:07 PM

Well , the old 104 is running again thanks to my nephew Jason , who helped resolve an electrical issue . The tractor's engine would turn over but wouldn't start . As it turned out, when I pressure washed the engine there was enough moisture that got into the points and caused some light corrosion . Corrosion does not conduct electricity very well ! Installed and adjusted a new set of points and she's running better than ever . I have only one other issue and that's the lights . I'm sure I can get that resolved tomorrow .
Now to get busy and assemble the pieces to reinstall on the 124 Cub which I robbed for the 104 . And then start on the 48" mower deck . Job security !
  • Alc and Gabriel have said thanks

#142 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted November 30, 2014 - 11:02 PM

Glad for you that you got it running!

#143 jerseyhawg / glenn ONLINE  

jerseyhawg / glenn
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62978
  • 232 Thanks
  • 133 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 01:21 PM

Mike,

Dont mind the novice question. When you paint and powder coat how is the color match between the two? In other words, if I chose IH red paint for my next wheel horse, would the powder coat / paint match? I never saw it done before and many times considered doing it. Btw,,,,your work is superb. I really learned plenty watching you go through the cub. Real pro job. Thank you. A great learning experience.

Glenn

#144 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 03:50 PM

Mike,

Dont mind the novice question. When you paint and powder coat how is the color match between the two? In other words, if I chose IH red paint for my next wheel horse, would the powder coat / paint match? I never saw it done before and many times considered doing it. Btw,,,,your work is superb. I really learned plenty watching you go through the cub. Real pro job. Thank you. A great learning experience.

Glenn

Glenn,
Thank you for the compliment . As for the powder coat matching the paint, you can have your sandblaster/powder coater provide sample plates for you to compare against your existing painted parts . Try to compare them in bright sunlight as that's where any differences would show up . My supplier has matched the Cub Cadet yellow spray paint exactly . I was also lucky in that my local Ace hardware store had a Rustoleum Appliance white epoxy paint that matched the white powder coated parts exactly . All of the fastener heads on my 104 have been painted with Cub Cadet yellow as have the transmission case and engine case . The match is great and even in bright sunlight there is no difference in painted or powder coated surfaces .
I hope this answers your question . I'll be glad to supply the paint part numbers , but depending on who supplies your local powder coater , they might have a different part number than mine does .
Mike
  • jerseyhawg / glenn said thank you

#145 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 03:56 PM

Got the old girl running and finished the lights today . All done except for the 10HP decals that go on each end of the gas tank . Maple Hunter Decals missed getting them in the box with the set they sent me last week . Called them and they will be sending them out . Should arrive any day now . Good people to deal with and very reasonable prices .
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and compliments .

Attached Thumbnails

• We have lights on the 104 Cub 001.JPG
  • We have lights on the 104 Cub 002.JPG

• GTpicker01, FilledTires, Gabriel and 1 other said thanks

#146 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 01, 2014 - 11:06 PM

Very nice job, Mike!! Thanks for sharing about your restoration with us!!

Edited by Gabriel, December 01, 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#147 BNK OFFLINE  

BNK
  • Member No: 62066
  • 983 Thanks
  • 444 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 05:48 AM

BEAUTIFUL MIKE !!!!! Looks like Tony from Maple Hunter finally have decided to use the correct color blue in his kits now! My 10 year ago resto on our 1250...well...the pic tells the story~

Attached Thumbnails

• 406489_348050495207254_812295250_n.jpg

• mike912e and Gabriel have said thanks

#148 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 10:50 AM

BEAUTIFUL MIKE !!!!! Looks like Tony from Maple Hunter finally have decided to use the correct color blue in his kits now! My 10 year ago resto on our 1250...well...the pic tells the story~

Thank you for the kind compliment . The 104 is the third Cub I've used maple Hunter decals on . I do have a set of hood side stripes for the 1X4/5 series that are from Cub Cadet and there is a difference in the shade of blue . So I used maple Hunter's so that all of my tractors look the same as to color of the decals .
This hobby sure is habit forming . Fortunately I'm limited to the number of Cubs I can have due to storage room . Of course I could always stack them up . Hmmm, now there's a thought !
  • Gabriel said thank you

#149 mike912e OFFLINE  

mike912e
  • 426 Thanks
  • 241 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Hey everybody ,
I was reading over The entire build blog and realized that I had forgotten to let you know what the sandblast/powder coat total cost was . This included three different colors ; white, yellow and black . Also includes an extra frame and a set of fenders and a bunch of extra small parts . My cost was $300 for everything ! That cost does not include two spraycans of primer and yellow paint and one can of white . I would consider that very reasonable . I still have a few parts to pick up as the coater does those parts when he's doing that color . All included in the price !
I'm de-cluttering the lift so that I can get the 2206's mower deck up there and start disassembling it . I will start a new build blog for that effort . Follow along if interested . I should start it by week's end . Have a great week everyone .
Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• 2206 mower deck 005.JPG

• Alc and Gabriel have said thanks

#150 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 10:15 PM

Looking forward to the thread you start on your mower deck!